Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    Yes, Quinn was a big name guy when he was hired. He was very well known and highly regarded for player development. I think BU needs a big name coach in order to keep the recruits we have lined up for the next several years. A few months ago, it was posted here that BU was #1 in the country in revenue. ESPN listed BU as the #1 place to watch hockey prospects in the world. I would prefer we get someone with a lot of coaching experience at the highest levels.

As far as Albie goes, I would hope that BU would not make the same mistake twice. We don't need another recruiter as head coach. The biggest issue this team had over the past four years was that the head coach and the primary assistant were both recruiters, not x's and o's and in-game coaches.
    Right because I'm sure what the rangers were looking for is a good recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
      Albie has 14 years of assistant coaching - if thats not enough to get a head coaching gig than I am not sure what is. He has put his time in and deserves this opportunity in my opinion.
      14 years is enough to get a head coaching gig for sure... but wonder if the AD will feel that it is enough to get a head coaching gig at one of the top handful of premier college coaching gigs. Of course what we will never be able to see is how the interviews etc go and that will play a big part.

Personally I agree, I'd like to see Albie get a shot at it.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        14 years is enough to get a head coaching gig for sure... but wonder if the AD will feel that it is enough to get a head coaching gig at one of the top handful of premier college coaching gigs. Of course what we will never be able to see is how the interviews etc go and that will play a big part.

Personally I agree, I'd like to see Albie get a shot at it.

Totally agree. Albie deserves it but BU may be looking for a bigger name (Pandolfo, Sacco). There will be a lot of very good candidates and the interview process will hopefully result in a clear frontrunner. At minimum I would want Albie on staff for his recruiting prowess.

Comment

• Give Albie a shot, he's a BU legend. His playing number is already retired to the rafters!

Comment

• Has Albie applied for HC jobs?

Originally posted by bu98 View Post
            Give Albie a shot, he's a BU legend. His playing number is already retired to the rafters!
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

You really never know who is going to pan out and who isn't going to pan out as a coach when you seek an assistant with no HC experience. That's not to say an assistant coach won't be good or better than someone with HC experience. You just never know.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

i think he will have fun.. what its about..

https://www.boston.com/sports/nhl/20...-quinn-rangers

GO NU HOCKEY
                Always bullish on the future.
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

From a recruit’s perspective, aren’t they lured by the NHL connections on a college staff? The Quinn/O’Connell team was ideal in many ways. Seems like Albie has a nice touch at convincing the best recruits to come to BU, and I’m sure part of his pitch was, “come play for Quinn, he knows what it takes to get to the NHL.”
                  Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
                    From a recruit’s perspective, aren’t they lured by the NHL connections on a college staff? The Quinn/O’Connell team was ideal in many ways. Seems like Albie has a nice touch at convincing the best recruits to come to BU, and I’m sure part of his pitch was, “come play for Quinn, he knows what it takes to get to the NHL.”
                    I think that pitch is likely more "Come play for BU, we know what it takes to get to the NHL." I think Albie as HC with an NHL guy not currently ready for a collegiate HC job (Grier, McEachern, et al) as the Associate HC would take care of the "path to the NHL" component of recruiting. Whether that would be best for the success of the team on the ice, that would be a different evaluation for the AD.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

BU has so much momentum on the 'path to the NHL' thing right now you could hire just about anyone and it would not diminish that IMO.

Regardless, if we're talking about Albie, he's clearly able to take whatever angle he can and sell it as he has done a pretty solid job on the recruiting front at 3 places, the previous 2 were not exactly "we're putting guys in the NHL in droves" programs at the time of his tenure there.
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Right because I'm sure what the rangers were looking for is a good recruiter.
                        What is your deal? Honestly, you come off as so stupid sometimes. Are you ignoring the fact that Quinn was known as a player development guy well before coming to BU as head coach? That continued while he was at BU. That is why the Rangers hired him. The GM even openly stated that.

None of that has anything to do with the fact that Albie and Quinn were both primarily known for recruiting at the collegiate level. That was the biggest flaw on the coaching staff over the past five seasons. The top two guys were recruiters and no one was strong enough on x's and o's, in-game adjustments (really any adjustments at all, at any point), strategy, etc.

These aren't mutually exclusive things. I have no idea why you would attach college recruiting and the Rangers together. It seems like you are probably too dense to understand what was a fairly simple, straightforward post. I hope you strive to do better in the future.

Comment

What is your deal? Honestly, you come off as so stupid sometimes. Are you ignoring the fact that Quinn was known as a player development guy well before coming to BU as head coach? That continued while he was at BU. That is why the Rangers hired him. The GM even openly stated that.

None of that has anything to do with the fact that Albie and Quinn were both primarily known for recruiting at the collegiate level. That was the biggest flaw on the coaching staff over the past five seasons. The top two guys were recruiters and no one was strong enough on x's and o's, in-game adjustments (really any adjustments at all, at any point), strategy, etc.

These aren't mutually exclusive things. I have no idea why you would attach college recruiting and the Rangers together. It seems like you are probably too dense to understand what was a fairly simple, straightforward post. I hope you strive to do better in the future.
                          No offense but your ongoing crusade against Quinn is old and tiresome and to suggest that Quinn could not coach in game scenarios comes off as moronic. So I'm calling you on it. That my deal.

Comment

That my deal.
                            Well played.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              No offense but your ongoing crusade against Quinn is old and tiresome and to suggest that Quinn could not coach in game scenarios comes off as moronic. So I'm calling you on it. That my deal.
                              We've had five years of well documented screw ups, failures, and inconsistencies which we've all discussed ad nauseam on this thread. Now all of a sudden you're going to ignore it all and claim he was a good coach? That's the definition of moronic.

Comment

We've had five years of well documented screw ups, failures, and inconsistencies which we've all discussed ad nauseam on this thread. Now all of a sudden you're going to ignore it all and claim he was a good coach? That's the definition of moronic.
                                Huh. This took way longer than I thought. Anyway, have you popped that champagne yet? Sorry he didn't actually resign in shame like you wanted, but rather got the opportunity of a lifetime coaching an NHL team with a huge contract.

Moving on...I know the Celtics being in the playoffs is a big deal, but they weren't playing yesterday. Why did they take up the entire sports report on the evening news? Not one mention on the the channels I watch. Though Tater did say FOX25 mentioned the coach of the Bulldogs got the head coaching job of the Rangers.

Comment

Working...
                                X