Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

100% sign me up for an Albie/McEachern coaching staff. Albie has put in his time, is a BU alum, fantastic eye for talent and recruiting....McEachern is a heck of a coach as well at the prep level but the lack of college coaching experience is worrisome. Albie has to be the head guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      And I'm not against having a non BU person as head coach. It just has to be the right one and I just don't think Rick Bennett is that right one.
      I think this is the sentiment many in the BU community have and that's being exaggerated in the media into something that it's not. There's a list of coaches that most BU fans would sign up for in a heartbeat who aren't BU alums. Leaman, Bazin, Sandelin, Hastings to name a few. Rick Bennett's results are mixed at best, and particularly concerning that they've regressed considerably since winning in '14.

That said, when your program currently holds 10% of NHL head coaching positions and has far and away the most NHL front office personnel, that suggests there's a large and very qualified pool of alumni candidates for the head coaching position.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I would also be thrilled with HC Albie and AC McEachern. But BU had an assistant coach vacancy last year (granted 2nd assistant, not 1st) and McEachern didn't get it, presumably from lack of interest on his side, not on BU's, so who knows if he is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
          I think the process has given us some good clues about how they felt about Quinn leaving and their expectations for how long he would stay at BU. If they want that badly to avoid losing a coach in the somewhat near term, they'll find whatever excuse they can to go with someone else. Also, maybe Sacco has one year of classes left and it couldn't be completed this summer. It sounds like Pandolfo's degree can be completed this summer.
          Honestly, I'm not a fan of this. I've seen it play out poorly before and while BU has a far different situation (BC: Gene D --> Jeff Jagodzinski --> Frank Spaziani) with a good string of possibilities for the foreseeable future as a blueblood in this sport, you have to go get the best guy for the job regardless of when you think they may leave. Just my $0.02.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Where did you hear this? He was already part of the department before Quinn arrived. He was the ad interim AD when Mike Lynch left.
            Lynch hired GQ. Lynch left after.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Jeff Cox:

I keep hearing BU admin wants a guy who will be in it for long haul. Albie O’Connell is a BU alum. Wife is BU alum. From the Boston area. Worked extremely hard at smaller schools to get back to BU as assistant. Great personality that recruits/players/donors can all relate to.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                I would also be thrilled with HC Albie and AC McEachern. But BU had an assistant coach vacancy last year (granted 2nd assistant, not 1st) and McEachern didn't get it, presumably from lack of interest on his side, not on BU's, so who knows if he is interested.
                Just my two cents, but I wouldn't expect McEachern to join an O'Connell headed staff as assistant. He's already had four years as a HE assistant (2 each at NU and UML)and he's both head coach and assistant AD at The Rivers School. If Albie gets the nod, I'd hope Joe Pereira is considered for the assistant (or associate) HC job.

Meanwhile, who is watching the HAA roof for white smoke.
                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Hey, god love Shawn, but being a HC at rivers is meh, adding in 2 years (commitment??) at a pair of schools that while almost decent now, weren’t exactly then is a rather t h i n resume

Mmm, thanks for coming. Feel free to grab you some cake on the way out.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    Lynch hired GQ. Lynch left after.
                    I know. And I believe Drew was already working in the Athletic Department when Quinn was hired. Quinn didn’t bring Drew in. Why are you insinuating that he got the job because of Quinn?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      I know. And I believe Drew was already working in the Athletic Department when Quinn was hired. Quinn didn’t bring Drew in. Why are you insinuating that he got the job because of Quinn?
                      Cause he maybe kinda got promoted because of it?

Comment

Drew has been in the BU athletic department since August of 2005.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Correct. Drew has been at BU in various assistant / associate type of AD roles since 2005. He took over as interim AD when Mike Lynch left / was let go / asked to leave (or whatever happened) suddenly. Perhaps Quinn had a voice if there was a search committee for the AD position but unless there is something we don't know it would be hard to assume he got the AD job because of Quinn?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            Cause he maybe kinda got promoted because of it?
                            And I'm asking you where you heard that.

Comment

Did Hynes think BU could match his current salary or something? That part didn't make sense unless he just wanted to give his opinion on who the coach should be.

Comment

Over the last couple of days, some conclusions I've drawn are:

1. Many in the BU fan base widely assumed an alum would get the job and that non-alum candidates wouldn't be among the finalists. I still think the next HC will be an alum, but the fact that a non-alum whom many BU fans don't think highly of is being strongly considered has led me to think...

2. BU fans in general don't have as much confidence in the overall quality of candidates nor in the decision-makers when compared to the search for Parker's successor. I think 5 years ago many felt "BU couldn't go wrong" between Quinn, Hynes or Sullivan. I sense this time around there's an underlying sentiment of "what if BU screws this one up" and what does it mean for BU Hockey going forward?

I have my preferred candidate(s), but if it's not that person, then I hope the new HC can/will prove my doubts and concerns wrong. I.e. if it's Bennett, the biggest issue I see is whether he can get BU fans/donors on his side when most BU fans strongly feel other candidates may be a better fit. That may be an even tougher job than coaching, recruiting, and dealing with administration.

Comment

Working...
                                X