This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    That place sucks. Yah yah history, but to try and watch a game it blows chunks
    Agreed, FWIIW. :-)

Comment

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

On the Captains:
      - Hoping that BU-friendly and College Hockey-friendly Nashville will let Dante keep developing on Comm Ave, and not push him to sign. I agree that he probably the biggest flight risk. But I don't see him stepping onto the NHL right away.
      - Oettinger - with a Goalie, I think it really comes down to where would he project to play in their system? While there may be several goalies at camp, teams tend to know who their top-4 goalies are going to be (2 for NHL, 2 for AHL), so they should be able to tell him where they really expect he would play. I think Bishop is signed for 2 more years.
      - Krys - it may not help our cause that Sikura has stepped right in and contributed for the Blackhawks. But in my opinion, he still has a lot of development in his own zone to focus on. Plus, Bomber has already told the brass in Chicago to keep their mitts off of him.
      - Bobo - he's a free agent, so he may as well try to parlay a strong senior year into a nice contract.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        IThe last time someone took a C then left early in the offseason was Strait, which by all accounts was VERY unexpected.
        Ah, Brian Strait!! Thanks. I was off by a decade.

defkit - good comments on all the captains and their potential as flight risks. What are your thoughts of them as captains?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          100%. It's a museum, not a baseball stadium

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
            On the Captains:
            - Hoping that BU-friendly and College Hockey-friendly Nashville will let Dante keep developing on Comm Ave, and not push him to sign. I agree that he probably the biggest flight risk. But I don't see him stepping onto the NHL right away.
            - Oettinger - with a Goalie, I think it really comes down to where would he project to play in their system? While there may be several goalies at camp, teams tend to know who their top-4 goalies are going to be (2 for NHL, 2 for AHL), so they should be able to tell him where they really expect he would play. I think Bishop is signed for 2 more years.
            - Krys - it may not help our cause that Sikura has stepped right in and contributed for the Blackhawks. But in my opinion, he still has a lot of development in his own zone to focus on. Plus, Bomber has already told the brass in Chicago to keep their mitts off of him.
            - Bobo - he's a free agent, so he may as well try to parlay a strong senior year into a nice contract.
            Re Oettinger: Ben Bishop signed a six-year extension with Dallas in May 2017.
            Re Krys: At the Regionals, Blackhawks Dir. of Player Recruitment--and ex-Terrier--Ron Anderson said the club is very pleased with Krys' development at BU.
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
              On the Captains:
              Krys and Bobo leaving make absolutely zero sense. Krys is a defenseman so the Sikura comparison isn't totally the same. He's a two-way defenseman who anyone with two eyes can see has room to develop and grow both from a skill and size perspective. Bobo is the textbook definition of a college hockey player. He might parlay his record here into a pro career but he'd have a tough road to hoe to get to the NHL level, having the chance to be a senior captain, make a run at some championships, and graduate has to be a huge appeal to him. He's a fantastic choice for captain and I'm thrilled he'll be leading the team, but coming off a 35-point season isn't exactly going to get him an NHL deal right now.

As for Jake, Bishop's under contract in Dallas through 2023 while Lehtonen is a UFA after the 17-18 season. They have another tall lanky young kid in the minors on an ELC right now. Unless they really want him in Dallas to back up Bishop next season, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they'd push him to leave now. Better for a goalie as young as Jake to keep playing and developing. He'd be 20 if he left after his junior year, why rush him out now at 19 to sit on the bench in Dallas or split time with another young kid in the minors? Especially when he's coming off a year where he faced some adversity and slumped for part of the season.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                And what the hell was up with that????? Since when does BU have "hockey cheerleaders"?? I hope that doesn't continue. Going to add that to my list of things to discuss with...someone. Oy.
                Yeah, there were about eight of them in scarlet warmup suits with silver pom pons. They sat right in front of the band. And didn't appear too interested in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  Depends on where you sit. Back in the 90s we had season tickets (Box 116, Row EE). IMO there weren't 100 seats in the entire place that were better. 1/3 of the way up the first base line looking right out at the wall (sorry, us old-timers always called it the "wall" - not the "Green Monster"). And there was an exit ramp in front of us, so we weren't blocked by the people walking back and forth in the main concourse that goes almost entirely around. We would just drape our jackets over the exit ramp railing, put our feet up and enjoy hours of uninterrupted viewing. I realize there aren't a lot of "great" seats there. Also, "Box" seats used to extend from just beyond the third base dugout to halfway to Pesky's Pole. Now they call seats behind the right field fence (and up to the wall) "Box" seats. That's disgraceful.

But I understand that the "majority" of the seats aren't great, making it tougher to overlook the lack of amenities that you see at other venues. On the other hand, we sat in "Box" seats in Oakland and were three times as far away as at Fenway. And there are a lot of stadiums that still have that "round" configuration, probably because they are used for both baseball and football, where the seats are quite a distance away. This is why many cities are now going back to 'retro' stadiums, which is a euphemism for "the football configuration doesn't work so we need our own stadium that is designed exclusively for baseball."

We gave up our seats when the price went from $16.50 to $90. Which speaks to many of the other comments on this board in the last couple of years regarding attendance. I can't think of too many other things that have gone up over 500% in that time frame. Not to mention parking and concessions. The only problem is that baseball and hockey are the two sports that are MUCH better seen in person. But we have to all make choices...
                  Last edited by chickod; 04-19-2018, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                    Yeah, there were about eight of them in scarlet warmup suits with silver pom pons. They sat right in front of the band. And didn't appear too interested in the game.
                    Yeah, I know. I sat a few rows in front of them. They showed up after I got to my seat. They served absolutely no purpose.

Did any of you read Brandon Hickey's letter in the Free Press? It was really wonderful. I think he was a great captain and he will be missed. I watched the final "BU Terriers All Access" on Saturday. I love shows like that. This one was great. Always interesting to see the behind the scenes stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      Depends on where you sit. Back in the 90s we had season tickets (Box 116, Row EE). IMO there weren't 100 seats in the entire place that were better. 1/3 of the way up the first base line looking right out at the wall (sorry, us old-timers always called it the "wall" - not the "Green Monster"). And there was an exit ramp in front of us, so we weren't blocked by the people walking back and forth in the main concourse that goes almost entirely around. We would just drape our jackets over the exit ramp railing, put our feet up and enjoy hours of uninterrupted viewing. I realize there aren't a lot of "great" seats there. Also, "Box" seats used to extend from just beyond the third base dugout to halfway to Pesky's Pole. Now they call seats behind the right field fence (and up to the wall) "Box" seats. That's disgraceful.

But I understand that the "majority" of the seats aren't great, making it tougher to overlook the lack of amenities that you see at other venues. On the other hand, we sat in "Box" seats in Oakland and were three times as far away as at Fenway. And there are a lot of stadiums that still have that "round" configuration, probably because they are used for both baseball and football, where the seats are quite a distance away. This is why many cities are now going back to 'retro' stadiums, which is a euphemism for "the football configuration doesn't work so we need our own stadium that is designed exclusively for baseball."

We gave up our seats when the price went from $16.50 to $90. Which speaks to many of the other comments on this board in the last couple of years regarding attendance. I can't think of too many other things that have gone up over 500% in that time frame. Not to mention parking and concessions. The only problem is that baseball and hockey are the two sports that are MUCH better seen in person. But we have to all make choices...
                      I might make the case that Fenway pretty much describes our city. Some marvelous spots and historic references, but due to space constraints we aren't able to offer the amenities or comfort of other locations/stadiums...At least it isn't in Foxboro.
                      "What about my asthma?"
                      "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

Did any of you read Brandon Hickey's letter in the Free Press? It was really wonderful. I think he was a great captain and he will be missed. I watched the final "BU Terriers All Access" on Saturday. I love shows like that. This one was great. Always interesting to see the behind the scenes stuff.
                        Here's the link

Comment

However, being named a captain here and leaving school before the school year is not without precedence (not talking Eichel, someone else did that in the 90s-can't recall) so him being named captain isn't the one thing that would lead me to believe he's coming back. It does alleviate my concern quite a bit, though.
                          As I recall, no captain was named for the 1996-97 season at the 1996 banquet because the player who was voted captain was likely to leave. Instead Coach Parker said they would vote on and name the captain(s) in the fall after seeing who returned. Mike Grier was the only early departure that summer, signing with the Edmonton Oilers.

Sean
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            As I recall, no captain was named for the 1996-97 season at the 1996 banquet because the player who was voted captain was likely to leave. Instead Coach Parker said they would vote on and name the captain(s) in the fall after seeing who returned. Mike Grier was the only early departure that summer, signing with the Edmonton Oilers.

Sean
                            IIRC, in addition to Grier, Chris O'Sullivan also departed in the Summer of 1996 prior to his Senior year, signing with Calgary. Fellow rising Seniors Shawn Bates and Jon Coleman were also potential flight risks to the Bruins and Red Wings, respectively, with both returning.

Billy Pierce was the Captain, with Bates and Drury wearing the "A",

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                              IIRC, in addition to Grier, Chris O'Sullivan also departed in the Summer of 1996 prior to his Senior year, signing with Calgary.
                              I had forgotten about Chris. He started play in his freshman season the second semester and was injured in just his 5th game. BU listed him as a medical redshirt his remaining three seasons and as freshman, sophomore and junior for those three seasons. However, the medical redshirt exemption now states the injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season, which his clearly did not. I don't know if the rules changed between 1992-93 and now or if he had been granted a wavier as his injury met the other requirements, but yes, he left after his third full season at BU.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                And there are a lot of stadiums that still have that "round" configuration, probably because they are used for both baseball and football, where the seats are quite a distance away. This is why many cities are now going back to 'retro' stadiums, which is a euphemism for "the football configuration doesn't work so we need our own stadium that is designed exclusively for baseball."
                                As usual, you are a decade or two behind the times. There is only stadium currently used by an NFL and an MLB team. Besides the Dolphins/Marlins (2011) and Vikings/Twins (2009), this change had wrapped up by 2003.

Comment

Working...
                                X