Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

B+

Throw out the first year as a transition year.

Last 4 years:
    Made NCAAs all 4 years.
    Finished top 8 in NCAA 3 of the 4 years.
    National Runner-up one year.
    Team positioned to be top 10 again next year.
    Very good in off-ice matters. Many players graduating in 3 years. Coached likeable teams. Departure from last few years of Parker's tenure. I list this last, but probably should be first.

Comment

Even if you toss out the Eichel year as well as the first year (after all it is pretty hard to grade a coach when there is a once in a generation player in the team) I still think he gets a B/B+ for those years.

Overall though I think he gets an incomplete. Things seem as if they have continued to move in the right direction and it would be nice to see the next couple of years.

Am I alone in being surprised? I know it is a lot of dollars but I had him pegged as a guy who found his home and would sacrifice dollars for the lifestyle and legacy of being a long term coach at the place he loves. I wonder if BU was a bit blindsided as well.

As to Albie, I’d like to see him get a shot for all the reasons previously mentioned, but my personal guess is that BU will look for someone more experienced.

Of course we are all taking as if it is official which I suppose technically it is not.
      Last edited by ericredaxe; 05-20-2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I’m curious as to the process. Did they make an offer and he said no? Was it because he wasn’t their first choice? Or was he, he said no, they went after someone else who also said no, so they opened up the purse strings to get him? That’s a lot of money (I think) for a first time head coach. How do you say no to that??

Still have not heard to the few who post here who wanted him gone all season. You got your wish! You must be out celebrating, which is why we haven’t heard from you.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

As to Albie, I’d like to see him get a shot for all the reasons previously mentioned, but my personal guess is that BU will look for someone more experienced.

Of course we are all taking as if it is official which I suppose technically it is not.
          Albie has 14 years of experience as a collegiate assistant, that's nothing to eschew. While you can find a guy with more HC experience, Albie seemingly runs much less of a risk of flying to the first pro job that opens up as opposed to a guy like Pandolfo or Sacco who come from pro HC/Assistant roles.

While not "official" it may as well be, save some kind of 11th hour change of heart.

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          I’m curious as to the process. Did they make an offer and he said no? Was it because he wasn’t their first choice? Or was he, he said no, they went after someone else who also said no, so they opened up the purse strings to get him? That’s a lot of money (I think) for a first time head coach. How do you say no to that??
          My understanding is that he rejected them at least once, and they twice upped their offer. Reportedly he was their primary target all along.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
            ...I don't think Madigan does much at all...
            ROFL (uncontrollably)

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
            Sit behind the Northeastern bench during a game. Watch who does all of the in-game coaching. When a timeout is called, watch who does all of the talking. It isn't Madigan.
            Madigan may very well run the program. But it is obvious that Keefe runs the bench during games.
            News flash: Next time you watch almost any NHL game, take a good look at who does the talking during timeouts: The AC for offense talks to the forwards and the AC for defense talks to the D. And when the cameras pan to the benches during play, take a good look at who is in the players' ears. It's rarely the HC. Check in on most D1 college teams and you'll see the same thing. (In NU's case, Keefe talks to the forwards and Jason Smith talks to the Dmen.) Not good enough for you?: Look at NFL timeouts and bench shots. The OC runs the offensive TOs and bench, and the DC runs the DC TOs and bench. The HCs have other things to do. (Exhibit A: Bill Belichik) And yes, Madigan darn well does run the program, which is what HCs do.

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
            Does the next head coach absolutely, positively have to be a BU alum? Like would they not even consider approaching Bazin?
            All due respect but I don't think Norm shows up on lower Comm Ave, except on the visitor's bench. OTOH, I went to Mass today and lit a candle to ward off the possibility of Jerry Keefe showing up on lower Comm Ave, but on the home bench. There's even talk among some of the NU undergrads about surrounding his house, cutting his landlines, and jamming his email and cellphones, which gives some idea of the esteem in which he is held. Jerry Keefe is destined to be a HC, and sooner rather than later. More power to him so long as it's not at either end of Comm Ave.
            Last edited by Split-N; 05-20-2018, 07:52 PM.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I highly doubt BC/BU would target Jerry Keefe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                There's even talk among some of the NU undergrads about surrounding his house, cutting his landlines, and jamming his email and cellphones, which gives some idea of the esteem in which he is held.
                I appreciate the shoutout, but I graduated in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                  News flash: Next time you watch almost any NHL game, take a good look at who does the talking during timeouts: The AC for offense talks to the forwards and the AC for defense talks to the D. And when the cameras pan to the benches during play, take a good look at who is in the players' ears. It's rarely the HC. Check in on most D1 college teams and you'll see the same thing. (In NU's case, Keefe talks to the forwards and Jason Smith talks to the Dmen.) Not good enough for you?: Look at NFL timeouts and bench shots. The OC runs the offensive TOs and bench, and the DC runs the DC TOs and bench. The HCs have other things to do. (Exhibit A: Bill Belichik) And yes, Madigan darn well does run the program, which is what HCs do.
                  Was thinking about writing a similar response about how many AC's handle those situations. Having just been through a coaching change here, I've seen the same sort of dialogue of people who think they can accurately judge an AC's coaching ability and project what they think that person would be like as a HC. But sitting in the stands, it is very difficult to make such assessments accurately. (But I also know this is the Interwebs, and that is what we do, especially in the off-season.)

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    I highly doubt BC/BU would target Jerry Keefe.
                    Maybe I should go to Mass more often.

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                    I appreciate the shoutout, but I graduated in 2016.
                    Close enuf.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

NEHJ: "Smart money is on Sacco or O'Connell."
                      http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1395933
                      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                        NEHJ: "Smart money is on Sacco or O'Connell."
                        http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1395933
                        I wonder if we could keep Albie on in his current position if BU went with a Sacco, Young or Pandolfo? I wonder if he wants the job right now or if he was thinking it would be a few more years down the road?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          I wonder if we could keep Albie on in his current position if BU went with a Sacco, Young or Pandolfo? I wonder if he wants the job right now or if he was thinking it would be a few more years down the road?
                          14 years as an assistant/associate head coach. What would a few more years of "seasoning" do for him?
                          http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=27626
                          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

If BU doesn't give the job to O'Connell, I'd think that he would take that as an indication that he has to go somewhere and get Head Coaching experience in order to be a stronger candidate next time the job opens up.

Comment

Joe has been and is a nhl coach. If he came back here mookie would look for him to go back at any time if someone dropped a head job on him.
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                                If BU doesn't give the job to O'Connell, I'd think that he would take that as an indication that he has to go somewhere and get Head Coaching experience in order to be a stronger candidate next time the job opens up.
                                GQ was head coach in Cleveland for what? 2yrs? Big whoop
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X