Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 1001

Thread: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

  1. #861
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    6,023

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Jeff Cox:

    I keep hearing BU admin wants a guy who will be in it for long haul. Albie OíConnell is a BU alum. Wife is BU alum. From the Boston area. Worked extremely hard at smaller schools to get back to BU as assistant. Great personality that recruits/players/donors can all relate to.

  2. #862
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,724

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Quote Originally Posted by Agganis View Post
    I would also be thrilled with HC Albie and AC McEachern. But BU had an assistant coach vacancy last year (granted 2nd assistant, not 1st) and McEachern didn't get it, presumably from lack of interest on his side, not on BU's, so who knows if he is interested.
    Just my two cents, but I wouldn't expect McEachern to join an O'Connell headed staff as assistant. He's already had four years as a HE assistant (2 each at NU and UML)and he's both head coach and assistant AD at The Rivers School. If Albie gets the nod, I'd hope Joe Pereira is considered for the assistant (or associate) HC job.

    Meanwhile, who is watching the HAA roof for white smoke.

  3. #863
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,237

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Hey, god love Shawn, but being a HC at rivers is meh, adding in 2 years (commitment??) at a pair of schools that while almost decent now, werenít exactly then is a rather t h i n resume

    Mmm, thanks for coming. Feel free to grab you some cake on the way out.

  4. #864
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,792
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Lynch hired GQ. Lynch left after.
    I know. And I believe Drew was already working in the Athletic Department when Quinn was hired. Quinn didnít bring Drew in. Why are you insinuating that he got the job because of Quinn?

  5. #865
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I know. And I believe Drew was already working in the Athletic Department when Quinn was hired. Quinn didnít bring Drew in. Why are you insinuating that he got the job because of Quinn?
    Cause he maybe kinda got promoted because of it?

  6. #866
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    3,054

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I know. And I believe Drew was already working in the Athletic Department when Quinn was hired. Quinn didnít bring Drew in. Why are you insinuating that he got the job because of Quinn?
    Drew has been in the BU athletic department since August of 2005.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  7. #867
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    6,023

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I know. And I believe Drew was already working in the Athletic Department when Quinn was hired. Quinn didnít bring Drew in. Why are you insinuating that he got the job because of Quinn?
    Correct. Drew has been at BU in various assistant / associate type of AD roles since 2005. He took over as interim AD when Mike Lynch left / was let go / asked to leave (or whatever happened) suddenly. Perhaps Quinn had a voice if there was a search committee for the AD position but unless there is something we don't know it would be hard to assume he got the AD job because of Quinn?

  8. #868
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Cause he maybe kinda got promoted because of it?
    And I'm asking you where you heard that.

  9. #869
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,004

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Did Hynes think BU could match his current salary or something? That part didn't make sense unless he just wanted to give his opinion on who the coach should be.

  10. #870
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Over the last couple of days, some conclusions I've drawn are:

    1. Many in the BU fan base widely assumed an alum would get the job and that non-alum candidates wouldn't be among the finalists. I still think the next HC will be an alum, but the fact that a non-alum whom many BU fans don't think highly of is being strongly considered has led me to think...

    2. BU fans in general don't have as much confidence in the overall quality of candidates nor in the decision-makers when compared to the search for Parker's successor. I think 5 years ago many felt "BU couldn't go wrong" between Quinn, Hynes or Sullivan. I sense this time around there's an underlying sentiment of "what if BU screws this one up" and what does it mean for BU Hockey going forward?

    I have my preferred candidate(s), but if it's not that person, then I hope the new HC can/will prove my doubts and concerns wrong. I.e. if it's Bennett, the biggest issue I see is whether he can get BU fans/donors on his side when most BU fans strongly feel other candidates may be a better fit. That may be an even tougher job than coaching, recruiting, and dealing with administration.

  11. #871
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,237

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Think it has to do with the he situation then and now.

    Then it was the end of a bad stretch and things couldnít get worse. Whereas now 5ings are trending upward and a bad step can mess it up more.

  12. #872
    THEY CAN NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    219

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Did Hynes think BU could match his current salary or something? That part didn't make sense unless he just wanted to give his opinion on who the coach should be.
    Hynes is only signed through next year with New Jersey, so I wonder if he looked at it as being security or who knows, maybe he would try to just use it as leverage to get NJ to give him an extension sooner. either way, if he reached out and wanted to talk, and BU didn't call him, that's insane to me.

    http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...ohn_hynes.html

  13. #873
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    6,023

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Quote Originally Posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
    Hynes is only signed through next year with New Jersey, so I wonder if he looked at it as being security or who knows, maybe he would try to just use it as leverage to get NJ to give him an extension sooner. either way, if he reached out and wanted to talk, and BU didn't call him, that's insane to me.

    http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...ohn_hynes.html
    It does sound insane... but who knows if they really didn't call him or what the inside story is.

  14. #874
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    BU
    Posts
    2,581

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    It does sound insane... but who knows if they really didn't call him or what the inside story is.
    Does he have a family? Maybe they don't like Newark. Maybe NHL HC is too much of a time commitment, but other than less travel and more nights at sleeping at home than on the road, I think time commitment at BU is just as high. Both jobs are pretty much around the clock. But I don't know, it sounds completely bizarre to me.

  15. #875
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    You are being too kind. His sr season ended in April and the kids are gone mid May. Couple weeks max. Sloppy

    In fact that is a big red mark on an application for this job.
    Sorry, I am calling BS on this comment.

    He signed right after the NCAAs. He was starting his professional hockey career, which lasted 18 seasons as a player and then got right into coaching.
    He hasn't needed a degree to this point in anything that he has done.
    It is a formality if he needs to get one.

  16. #876
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,237

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Harry, please.

    He played 8gm with Albany (5rs, 3playoff). Then had the summer. When he signed he had a couple weeks left in the semester and had incompletes which could have then been finished in the months of June or July or August. Couple hours work max.

    And now he wants a job making sure 25 some odd young men take classes seriously??

    Sorry. Mookie is standing by his original statement.

    (Now if instead he wasnít going to graduate because he DID finish those classes but was still short because he didnít carry a full load during a semester or two mookie will perhaps revisit your point)

  17. #877
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,004

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    In the past this "rule" on having a degree has always been unclear to me. So it's not an NCAA matter? Just a school by school policy?

  18. #878
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    174

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisP View Post
    Exactly! Don't get the Bennett interest. Plus, he couldn't recruit when he was an assistant at PC a long time ago.
    Judging a coach who MUST recruit with the ones at BU that just pick the cream off the top
    from the dozens of volunteers every year isn't really a fair assessment of the coach.
    (big difference between BU and UNION for a "student" athlete)

  19. #879
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    15,235

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    In the past this "rule" on having a degree has always been unclear to me. So it's not an NCAA matter? Just a school by school policy?
    Assuming its a school policy, and I kinda like it. Sort of the quaint old notion that your time in school ought be spent getting a degree even if you do play hockey.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  20. #880
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    3,054

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    Judging a coach who MUST recruit with the ones at BU that just pick the cream off the top
    from the dozens of volunteers every year isn't really a fair assessment of the coach.
    (big difference between BU and UNION for a "student" athlete)
    Saying that BU "picks the cream off the top" is a wee bit of an oversimplification.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •