Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    You are being too kind. His sr season ended in April and the kids are gone mid May. Couple weeks max. Sloppy

In fact that is a big red mark on an application for this job.
    Sloppy indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      Here’s an interesting two paragraphs from the CHN story.

“Among other candidates considered, sources tell CHN that former NHL head coach Joe Sacco, currently an assistant with the Boston Bruins, is no longer under consideration due to not having his college degree. The Boston University administration appears steadfast on that necessity, which also rules out current AHL head coach Clark Donatelli.

Pandolfo also does not have a degree, despite playing four years for the Terriers. He signed with the New Jersey Devils following his senior season in 1996, and is two classes short. However, he is sufficiently close enough to getting his degree where it could work. Like with Tony Granato at Wisconsin, it's not believed that would stand in the way of Pandolfo getting the job, as he could finish his degree in short order, potentially even this summer.“
      I have another suggestion. One that seems only fair. Alain Vigneault.

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
        I have another suggestion. One that seems only fair. Alain Vigneault.
        Arséne Wenger is still available.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I had no idea McEachern graduated.
          Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

I tried to suggest this earlier regarding Greeley but didn't want to get into specifics. Now that it has been reported in an article, I can go into it more. Greeley was never interested in coming back to coach at BU. Not only did he interview for the Carolina GM position, but they offered it to him, too. He turned it down because they offered $400K/year. He wants a front office career, not a coaching career.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
              Here’s an interesting two paragraphs from the CHN story.

“Among other candidates considered, sources tell CHN that former NHL head coach Joe Sacco, currently an assistant with the Boston Bruins, is no longer under consideration due to not having his college degree. The Boston University administration appears steadfast on that necessity, which also rules out current AHL head coach Clark Donatelli.

Pandolfo also does not have a degree, despite playing four years for the Terriers. He signed with the New Jersey Devils following his senior season in 1996, and is two classes short. However, he is sufficiently close enough to getting his degree where it could work. Like with Tony Granato at Wisconsin, it's not believed that would stand in the way of Pandolfo getting the job, as he could finish his degree in short order, potentially even this summer.“
              How close is Sacco to getting his degree? He spent 3 seasons as BU. Kind of weird to say, well you need a college degree and then... well... this guy is close enough so maybe you're ok and you can finish it up but the other guy, nah. Odd.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I hadn't heard anything about Hynes reaching out to BU. I personally think that would be absolutely stupid of him to take the BU job. He's doing too good of a job in the NHL. On the other hand, if he did want the job, it would be ridiculously stupid of BU to not hire him. I wouldn't even bother to interview him. Just move right to salary negotiations. I wonder how serious his alleged back-channel communication was. Maybe BU figured there's no way we'd get him so they didn't want to waste the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  How close is Sacco to getting his degree? He spent 3 seasons as BU. Kind of weird to say, well you need a college degree and then... well... this guy is close enough so maybe you're ok and you can finish it up but the other guy, nah. Odd.
                  I think the process has given us some good clues about how they felt about Quinn leaving and their expectations for how long he would stay at BU. If they want that badly to avoid losing a coach in the somewhat near term, they'll find whatever excuse they can to go with someone else. Also, maybe Sacco has one year of classes left and it couldn't be completed this summer. It sounds like Pandolfo's degree can be completed this summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                    I think the process has given us some good clues about how they felt about Quinn leaving and their expectations for how long he would stay at BU. If they want that badly to avoid losing a coach in the somewhat near term, they'll find whatever excuse they can to go with someone else. Also, maybe Sacco has one year of classes left and it couldn't be completed this summer. It sounds like Pandolfo's degree can be completed this summer.
                    Granato was hired at UW and had a full academic year to complete his BS
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Granato was hired at UW and had a full academic year to complete his BS
                      But maybe BU's requirements and UW are different.

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                      Agreed, I think that BU was taken off guard by Quinn leaving and fully expected him to be here until he retired... and maybe that was Quinn's intentions. As someone referenced earlier though, there is a difference between 12.5 million at one of the original 6 teams and other "regular" NHL head coach positions.

If the article is correct, Pandolfo has 2 classes to complete (he was here for 4 years) and that could be completed this summer we should assume. Big difference between that and (I assume) a full year of classes for Sacco (perhaps 8+ classes).

I also didn't know that McEachern completed his degree, but I assume that is the case based on what we have heard. If that ends up tipping the scales in his favor it was very smart of him to do so. (That being said, NHL contracts or not, I can't imagine why Sacco or Pandolfo, being that close to a degree would not have made an effort to complete it before now)

Comment

Is it starting to feel to anyone else that we may end up with both Albie and McEachern? Just not sure which might be head coach vs Associate?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          Is it starting to feel to anyone else that we may end up with both Albie and McEachern? Just not sure which might be head coach vs Associate?
                          Albie at HC and McEachern at Associate would be an excellent result imo. I'm not sold on McEachern being ready for the HC job at the collegiate level given his limited overall D1 experience.

The Hynes situation is curious. Of course if you could get a current NHL head coach of a playoff team to come that'd be a huge get for the program but you have to wonder why Hynes even reached out in the first place. Therefore if I'm the AD my reaction to Hynes would be what's the catch?
                          Last edited by brassbonanza; 06-04-2018, 10:17 AM.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            Albie at HC and McEachern at Associate would be an excellent result imo. I'm not sold on McEachern being ready for the HC job at the collegiate level given his limited overall D1 experience.
                            I like this as well.

And I'm not against having a non BU person as head coach. It just has to be the right one and I just don't think Rick Bennett is that right one.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              Dean the AD was kinda sorta hired by GQ, no? Was a peep and got in with his contract as things fell into place. ??? Or is that not entirely accurate?
                              Where did you hear this? He was already part of the department before Quinn arrived. He was the ad interim AD when Mike Lynch left.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

The Hynes situation is curious. Of course if you could get a current NHL head coach of a playoff team to come that'd be a huge get for the program but you have to wonder why Hynes even reached out in the first place. Therefore if I'm the AD my reaction to Hynes would be what's the catch?
                                I share that concern, however ISL hockey is no small thing and one would think with his overall hockey career that his knowledge is high enough, especially if we get both Albie and McEachern it should work well. The unknown is what the AD sees in the interview process that we cannot.

Comment

Working...
                                X