Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    That was difficult to see and I'm still not sure. When I saw it live I thought it was one of those plays where he tried to "slide" it over to Crotty and it just "stuck" on the ice (I still say the ice wasn't good - not an excuse because obviously it's the same for both teams - but when they close down time and space you have to make a perfect play and he might have only got 50% "wood" on it). When I watched it again last night it LOOKED like Slaker actually got his stick in there and smothered the pass. OK, yeah, it's still a turnover but it's not like he just gave it away. In other words, not an "unforced error" as they say in tennis. The one that REALLY took away any chance at all (because I still think they could have scored after pulling Oettinger) was the fifth goal which, again, you have to give Michigan credit. Instead of sitting on the lead they kept pressing forward. A lot of teams in that situation would have just dumped in in and made BU go 200 feet. I actually think BU was caught a little flat-footed because they were thinking "offense" and before you know it, it's a two-on-one and in the back of the net. Game over. Season over (to paraphrase John Stirling).

I respectfully disagree. I can name dozens of friends who never went to any of the schools but cheer for BC. Agreed that it's mostly because they're the only legitimate D1 football school (sorry UConn), but still, it brings recognition. Point being, they're not "choosing" BU if they're neutral. They're not choosing Stonehill. They're not choosing Curry. They're not choosing Holy Cross. Get it?
    1) Looked like he fanned on the pass. Floated right to the Michigan player.

2) All due respect to your friends, but if BC had any appeal beyond its alums it would fill out its sporting events, particularly football where they can't even sell out a small stadium for marquee opponents not named Notre Dame (and that's all Notre Dame fans filling the place up during those games). Look, its not BC's fault mind you. People around here don't care about college sports except maybe come NCAA hoops tournament time when they're filling out their brackets with teams they've never seen. The college market is too fractured as well as everyone has their own loyalties as opposed to one or two gigantic state schools. It is what it is. In my lifetime I remember two instances where a college team captured the wider public's interest: 1984 BC football with Flutie, and 1996 UMass basketball Final Four team*. That's it.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      1) Looked like he fanned on the pass. Floated right to the Michigan player.

2) All due respect to your friends, but if BC had any appeal beyond its alums it would fill out its sporting events, particularly football where they can't even sell out a small stadium for marquee opponents not named Notre Dame (and that's all Notre Dame fans filling the place up during those games). Look, its not BC's fault mind you. People around here don't care about college sports except maybe come NCAA hoops tournament time when they're filling out their brackets with teams they've never seen. The college market is too fractured as well as everyone has their own loyalties as opposed to one or two gigantic state schools. It is what it is. In my lifetime I remember two instances where a college team captured the wider public's interest: 1984 BC football with Flutie, and 1996 UMass basketball Final Four team*. That's it.
      You mean Marcus Camby and the "Golden Chains"

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Greenway just signed. Wishing him tremendous success!
        Does he report to Minnesota, Iowa, or does he wait until next season?
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
          Does he report to Minnesota, Iowa, or does he wait until next season?
          I'm guessing right to Minnesota? The Wild could have used him last night...they're in the middle of a playoff chase. Well, not so much now after losing to the Bruins in OT last night...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            I'm guessing right to Minnesota? The Wild could have used him last night...they're in the middle of a playoff chase. Well, not so much now after losing to the Bruins in OT last night...
            He's meeting the Wild in Nashville.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Any other flight risks? (We knew Greenway was gone.) Fabbro? (I think he should stay.)

I like our forward core next year, but will need at least one freshmen to contribute.

Tier One:
              Bobo
              Harper
              Cockerill
              Bowers

Tier Two:
              Curry
              Tkachuck
              Amonte

Nowhere to go but up
              Crone
              Chabot
              Witkowski

Time to transfer:
              Cloonan

On Defense I really liked the way Farrance moved the puck these last four games. They're losing three Seniors, but only one that played regularly. Fabbro and Krys anchoring things as Juniors would be nice. Krys really cut down on his turnovers these last four games.

Our goalie isn't going anywhere. I'd like to see Max get a few more games early in the year.

BU Hockey: Onward and Upward
              It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                Oh well. Wasn't happening anyway but would have liked to see them keep it going as long as possible--even if it was another loss in the finals
                Suddenly, my Friday and Saturday nights are open.
                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

So what do we know of for OOC next year? Arizona State (x2 maybe?), Dartmouth, Quinnipiac and Beanpot x2.

Who else? I’ve lost track of who we owe return trips to etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                    So what do we know of for OOC next year? Arizona State (x2 maybe?), Dartmouth, Quinnipiac and Beanpot x2.

Who else? I’ve lost track of who we owe return trips to etc.
                    2 @ Minnesota State
                    2 @ Friendship Four in Belfast (UCONN, Union and Yale)

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      Any other flight risks? (We knew Greenway was gone.) Fabbro? (I think he should stay.)

I like our forward core next year, but will need at least one freshmen to contribute.

Tier One:
                      Bobo
                      Harper
                      Cockerill
                      Bowers

Tier Two:
                      Curry
                      Tkachuck
                      Amonte

Nowhere to go but up
                      Crone
                      Chabot
                      Witkowski

Time to transfer:
                      Cloonan

On Defense I really liked the way Farrance moved the puck these last four games. They're losing three Seniors, but only one that played regularly. Fabbro and Krys anchoring things as Juniors would be nice. Krys really cut down on his turnovers these last four games.

Our goalie isn't going anywhere. I'd like to see Max get a few more games early in the year.

Fabbro is realistically the only other meaningful flight risk. Someone could draft Brady and think he should develop in the AHL, but that'd be a bad move for him. He needs to add muscle to his frame and further develop his raw talent in a more practice-focused setting.

It'd be great to see the D corps headed up by experienced upperclassmen in Krys and Fabbro as well as Kasper, Crotty, and Farrance having gotten a lot of solid experience under their belt this year. That way the D corps wouldn't at all be heavily reliant on freshmen.

The forward core looks very solid as well and also wouldn't be reliant on freshmen to be heavy contributors. Bowers, Bobo, Cockerill, Tkachuk, and Harper on the top two lines bring a lot of experience and skill. I'd love to see Pat Curry improve his skating enough to fill the sixth spot there, he's always been the hardest working guy on the ice but as the year progressed he started to show a knack for sniffing out where a play was going and positioning himself well. If not, he'd be a great anchor for a third line, and perhaps one of the freshman can move into a top-6 slot. I think a lot of what will drive how far the 18-19 squad goes will be dictated by how much of an improvement this year's freshman class make as sophomores. There won't be much in the way of hot shot freshmen coming in who'll demand top line minutes, it seems Farabee is the only one who'd potentially fit into that category. So this year's freshman have every opportunity to continue to earn their minutes next season, especially on defense. I agree on Cloonan probably being a candidate for transfer, especially if he's able to graduate and grad transfer. I'd love to see him excel as he's got elite speed for this level, but he's too much of an offensive liability to continue getting regular minutes.

It appears there could be some really good balance of talent next season with a good dose of experienced upperclassmen, matured sophomores, and talented freshmen who won't be relied upon to carry the majority of the load. Hopefully Jake can continue his late-season hot streak without the pressure of the WJC and having just been drafted. I was also very encouraged by the discipline with which they played down the stretch in not taking costly penalties that doomed us earlier in the season. Additionally, the coaching staff finally was able to nail down in-game adjustments against all of BC, PC, Cornell, and Michigan - particularly in the breakout scheme and the power play zone entry. They ran into an excellent Michigan team yesterday and the bounces went the other way, but there's a lot to be encouraged about heading into next season.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                        2 @ Minnesota State
                        I think this would be a great time to trot out a NEW uniform! Green and scarlet would look great! Instead of a terrier on the front we could have a leprechaun!

We already have:
                        Detroit Red Wing style (traditional) home/away
                        Bob Marquis era (candy canes) home/away
                        Jack Garrity era (block lettering) home/away

Now we can have:
                        David Quinn era (scarlet/green) home/away

BU Hockey: The luck of the Terriers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post

Tier One:
                          Bobo
                          Harper
                          Cockerill
                          Bowers

Tier Two:
                          Curry
                          Tkachuck
                          Amonte

Nowhere to go but up
                          Crone
                          Chabot
                          Witkowski

Time to transfer:
                          Cloonan

Fabbro only other potential flight risk. Agree he should stay and my gut feeling tells me he'll return given that Nashville is stacked on D and he'd be in the AHL next season if he left BU. If he returns I expect Fabbro to wear an "A" or even a "C". I often compare Fabbro to Shattenkirk, who stayed 3 years and has done quite well for himself in the NHL...

Agree on the talent/depth of the returning forwards and incoming Freshmen forwards. Joel Farabee (projected go to in 1st round in this year's draft) and Jake Wise should step in and contribute right away in top-6 or top-9 roles. I think at least one member of the Curry-Amonte-Crone line will get bumped to the 4th line at the start of next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                            If he returns I expect Fabbro to wear an "A" or even a "C".
                            I assume that'd be a co-C with Bobo - he's a shoe-in to wear a C next season.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              I assume that'd be a co-C with Bobo - he's a shoe-in to wear a C next season.
                              Yes, Co-Captain w/ Bobo is my belief. Out of the rising Junior class, I think Fabbro is most ready to assume a leadership role. I feel similarly about Chabot, but not sure if he'll be a regular in the lineup next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                                2 @ Minnesota State
                                Which prob completes the schedule.

Not the most compelling home schedule next year...

Comment

Working...
                                X