Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Which prob completes the schedule.

Not the most compelling home schedule next year...
    No...Which is why I feel next year's team needs to pile up W's in non-conf play so they don't end up like this year's BC team...

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      So what do we know of for OOC next year? Arizona State (x2 maybe?), Dartmouth, Quinnipiac and Beanpot x2.

Who else? I’ve lost track of who we owe return trips to etc.
      Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
      2 @ Minnesota State
      2 @ Friendship Four in Belfast (UCONN, Union and Yale)
      There are 10 OOC games
      2 Beanpot
      2 at MSUM
      2 vs ASU
      1 vs QU
      1 in Belfast (UConn game counts as in conference)
      1 vs/at Dartmouth (I don't recall hearing one of us owed the other a game, is this definitely a game, if so where?)

Would be 9 games, leaving us missing 1 (missing 2 if there isn't actually a Dartmouth game)

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
        There are 10 OOC games
        2 Beanpot
        2 at MSUM
        2 vs ASU
        1 vs QU
        1 in Belfast (UConn game counts as in conference)
        1 vs/at Dartmouth (I don't recall hearing one of us owed the other a game, is this definitely a game, if so where?)

Would be 9 games, leaving us missing 1 (missing 2 if there isn't actually a Dartmouth game)
        Don't they play two in Belfast? So Union or Yale makes 10.
        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
          Don't they play two in Belfast? So Union or Yale makes 10.
          BU plays UConn and Union plays Yale in the first round, which are both conference games. Then the winners play each other and the losers play each other, both in an OOC. So just 1 OOC game per team, at least that is how it has been done in the past.

Comment

I saw this comment on the USCHO article about Greenway signing. I think this guy hasn't been watching....

"Interesting. I didn't think he had a very good Olympics and didn't really stand out in BU's run in the playoffs, either, so I'm not sure what kind of impact he's going to have with the Wild coming out a year early. I would think another year of seasoning would do him alot more good than coming out now."

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
              The emails from Agganis to re-up season tickets say Dartmouth is coming to Agganis.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                Happy with how BU's season played out and gives me hope for next year. Lost to a better team although a few critical boners didn't help complete with goalie misplaying puck (yes, I realize the bounce off the boards was unexpected but as the announcer correctly observed he should have been hugging the post and that puck never gets behind him) and a horrific turnover in front of our own net (Hickey I think on the 4th goal). But, they played hard. It was good to see.

I have to laugh about this "New England school" lunacy. THERE IS NO NEW ENGLAND SCHOOL! Nobody outside of BC gives a rat's a ss about BC athletics, much like nobody outside of BU gives a rat's a ss about it, or Providence, or UConn, or UMass or whatever. There is no equivalent to the casual fan backing Georgia or Duke or Michigan in those places.
                BC isn't as "known" as you would think by casual sports fans or even announcers outside of NE. How many times do we hear Boston University being used instead of Boston College, still happens every year. Watching the 30 for 30 on the BC point shaving scandal, the FBI guy (BC guy) that was investigating the Lufthansa heist recalled talking to Henry Hill and Hill told him that they were fixing "BU" games, the FBI guy laughed and told him "you must mean BC, there are no betting lines on BU basketball".
                Last edited by Jofa; 03-26-2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

With the season over, I just want to take a moment to thank all of you who post your thoughtful pre and post-game analysis on this board throughout the season. For those of us who are outside of Boston and don’t get to see too many games in person, it’s very helpful and much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    Any other flight risks? (We knew Greenway was gone.) Fabbro? (I think he should stay.)

On Defense I really liked the way Farrance moved the puck these last four games. They're losing three Seniors, but only one that played regularly. Fabbro and Krys anchoring things as Juniors would be nice. Krys really cut down on his turnovers these last four games.

Our goalie isn't going anywhere. I'd like to see Max get a few more games early in the year.

BU Hockey: Onward and Upward
                    I feel the best about the returning team in a long while probably since 2009. The Freshman D have good upside and if Fabbro stays which he should and with Krys that only leaves one opening. Farrance impressed late could be a plus player with some defensive improvement to go along with his skating and offensive talent. They need 1 or 2 incoming forwards to be solid 3rd line scorers, I agree Wise and Farabee are the best bets.

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                      BC isn't as "known" as you would think by casual sports fans or even announcers outside of NE. How many times do we hear Boston University being used instead of Boston College, still happens every year. Watching the 30 for 30 on the BC point shaving scandal, the FBI guy (BC guy) that was investigating the Lufthansa heist recalled talking to Henry Hill and Hill told him that they were fixing "BU" games, the FBI guy laughed and told him "you must mean BC, there are no betting lines on BU basketball".
                      OK, fine. But the opposite happens WAY more. If you watched the BU/Bucknell Patriot League semi-final game on CBS Sports Network, they said "BC" SIX TIMES (I counted) when they meant BU.

And, besides, when I started this discussion, I said NEW ENGLAND. We're not talking about "outside of NE." I merely stated that most people I know who don't have any allegiance will cheer for BC before they cheer for BU (or any other school in New England). Point being that BU will only get THEIR alumni at the games, where BC will get many more "casual" or "unaffiliated" fans.

I think we've beaten this one to death...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post

I think we've beaten this one to death...
                        Yes.
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

why would we have to play 2 against Arizona State. Can't they find another local school to play one against and that team can go to Arizona in a future year
                          For a team struggling to sell tickets 2 exhibition games plus 2 against Arizona isn't very compelling
                          Since only the BC game sells out makes it a difficult to attract season ticket holders

Comment

More thoughts later, but a couple quick ones:

- I agree with Chickod that the Hickey turnover was not a "fan" of the puck. The Michigan d-man reached his stick and just got enough of a piece of it to stop Hickey from being able to get a full push on the puck. Good on the forechecker to create the turnover. And the shot itself absolutely took a sizable deflection off Crotty's shin pad. Those of us at that end of the ice could hear it. It even looked like it took a bounce on the ice as it was going in the net. That being said, there were more "fans" of the puck over the weekend that I saw most of the season combined.
                            - I'll have to look at the replay on the 3rd goal. Chickod isn't implying the puck went over the whole net, just that it was elevated enough to get over the "skirt" of the net (would need to be more than 6 inches off the ice to do so).
                            - It didn't take Greenway long. Congrats to him, but it makes me wonder how valid the rumors I heard that he wanted to come back for his senior year were.
                            - I haven't seen a replay yet of the 5th goal, but the team looked gassed trying to come back on that one. If Tkachuk was slacking, I'm sure he heard about it from the coaches. That said, he is a young kid who has a lot of maturing to do. He misses no opportunity to start a little trouble (those benches being so close at the DCU center gave him many opportunities to bump guys, mouth off, etc. to the other team while skating by). He'll likely still be a top-10 pick, maybe even still Top-5, but I wouldn't be surprised if he drops.
                            - Farrance definitely elevated his game. Sounds like he just needed more time to adapt to the college game.
                            - Hughes is a great skater - I didn't focus on him much in the defensive zone, but I'm curious if size/strength will be an issue.
                            - I love Patrick Curry, but honestly, if he is in the top-6 next year, I will take that as a bad sign. He is a perfect third line guy.
                            - I would absolutely expect Farabee to be in the Top-6. Wise has found his game now that he is back from injury and could start out of the top-6 but should get there during the year. But maybe the math just doesn't add up to get him in there.
                            Last edited by defkit; 03-26-2018, 03:34 PM.
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                              - I would absolutely expect Farabee to be in the Top-6. Wise has found his game now that he is back from injury and could start out of the top-6 but should get there during the year. But maybe the math just doesn't add up to get him in there.
                              BU should be strong at center next year with Bobo, Bowers and Wise, allowing Amonte to go back to his natural RW position. Farabee should find a home on one of the top two lines. The two U18s have been skating on the same line for about 5 or 6 weeks and are piling up the points. Wise--up to 36 points, good for a tie for fifth on the U18s despite missing 24 games in the fall--could easily be a 2nd round pick in June. Farabee, an expected first-round pick, is second on the U18s with 64 points.

Besides the other two U18 forwards, Weiss and DeBoer, it looks like there will be another graduate transfer joining the forwards next season. Wondering if Quinn will add another with Greenway’s departure. BU recently had been in the mix for Penticton forward Grant Cruickshank, a Wisconsin decommit who verballed to CC.

Nice work here by Farabee to set up Wise’s second goal on Saturday.
                              https://***********/USHL/status/977711687099994112
                              The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post

I thought the BU in-game adjustments were good. They finally abandoned the "up the wall" breakout strategy and started circumventing the forecheck by making indirect passes to open ice and using their speed. This gave them more opportunities. I thought there were a few times where they held onto the puck a split second too long, trying to make a "better" play rather than just shooting it. When you play the West they don't give you the time and space that we're used to here. I also think Michigan surprised BU by not "sitting on the lead" like a lot of teams do. They just kept coming in waves. In this case, a good offense prevents the opponent from building momentum and BU got caught a couple of times on their heels and couldn't recover.

I for one thought the strategy was working well and was refreshing to see as it prevented mistakes that plagued the team all season. Breaking down the 5 Michigan goals:

1. Crone tried to be cute and execute a one-time touch pass from the half wall instead of clearing it up along the boards. Pass gets intercepted which leads to Michigan setting up in the zone for the first goal. Seemed like Oettinger got screened.

2. Power play shot in the slot. Reminded me of a bunch of Patrice Bergeron goals this season from the "bumper" position. Don't blame Oettinger for that one either.

3. Fluke goal, but as others have pointed out, Oettinger could have been positioned better which could have prevented the goal.

4. Hickey, Hickey, Hickey. Whether he fanned on the pass or it was deflected, that's a dangerous pass with a defender that close. Again, abandoned the up the wall strategy which lead to this goal as well. Can't blame Oettinger on the deflection off Curry's leg.

5. At the game, Farrance was deep in the offensive zone but he had forward coverage at the blue line. That forward (I think Greenway) didn't stay back on D which lead to the odd man rush. Not blaming Greenway as I think at that time BU seemed to be more aggressive trying to tie the game. I didn't notice Tkachuk not rushing to get back and I have no desire to watch the replay again (still too painful). I think Oettinger misplayed the 2 on 1 and was out of position.

The only goal I can't blame Oettinger for is #4. All the others you could argue weren't his fault either, however a big time goalie needs to save some of those in the playoffs.

It's painful because I thought BU carried the play more than Michigan, and I really thought that BU was finally playing smart, disciplined hockey. I think they reverted in terms of the giveaways and I don't think Olsson's penalty was a good one (I don't remember it as being needed to prevent a Michigan opportunity). Cockerill's penalty was a poor call but it didn't lead to a Michigan goal. Michigan showed they had the talent to capitalize on mistakes with a quick strike offense. It hurts because I think BU has a better record if these teams play 10 times (with BU playing smart), but Michigan was better Sunday afternoon.

Will be rooting for Michigan against Notre Dame. My following of BU started with the 96-97 season so I'm not bitter against Michigan and I don't like Notre Dame for how they used Hockey East. Will root for Ohio State to win it all so there is another new recent champion.

Comment

Working...
                                X