Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Looks like I am in the distinct minority here, but I absolutely want the BU coach to have a degree. I assume the coach will consistently push student athletes to make solid progress towards a degree, and their credibility would be shot without holding a degree themselves.

Further, I would like to see more coaches make the effort to attain an Ed.M in coaching, or sports psychology, or development...something along those lines. Coaching could be so much better if they brought an educator’s or psychologist’s training to bear in addition to having “played the game” and “paid their dues” through the traditional paradigm.
    Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
      Looks like I am in the distinct minority here, but I absolutely want the BU coach to have a degree. I assume the coach will consistently push student athletes to make solid progress towards a degree, and their credibility would be shot without holding a degree themselves.

Further, I would like to see more coaches make the effort to attain an Ed.M in coaching, or sports psychology, or development...something along those lines. Coaching could be so much better if they brought an educator’s or psychologist’s training to bear in addition to having “played the game” and “paid their dues” through the traditional paradigm.
      I agree 100%.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
        ... regardless of the percentage of completion of their degree (which is an NCAA rule).
        Source that the NCAA requires coaches to have a degree please?

Sean

BU Hockey Games
        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post

I'm fully supportive of requiring the head coach to have a degree. The fact that a small handful of kids may be good enough to leave to the NHL prior to earning a degree does not make this hypocritical at all IMO.

Comment

Just came from the press conference. Some good stuff. I’m looking forward to the season. The team was there (and apropos of nothing were wearing these sweet new UA 1/4 zips), Jordan Greenway was there, Coach Parker, Mike Eruzione, former Terrier and O’Connell’s teammate Chris O’Sullivan were there too.

The one question not asked was what his plans are for his staff. I’m sure that will come.

Comment

If anyone finds a link to the press conference saved please let me know. I was only able to see the last 1/3.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                Source that the NCAA requires coaches to have a degree please?

Sean
                I haven't looked for it in the rulebook, but remember it was mentioned as required as part of a recent college opening. Didn't we establish that no one could find a college coach who doesn't have a degree?

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                  I haven't looked for it in the rulebook, but remember it was mentioned as required as part of a recent college opening. Didn't we establish that no one could find a college coach who doesn't have a degree?
                  Yes, we established that it appears most, if not all NCAA caches have degrees. If it is a NCAA requirement it should have been pointed out BU was just following it when mentioning the candidates without one that were not finalists. Instead there were several pointed attacks aimed at BU for making it a requirement for their new head coach.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                    If anyone finds a link to the press conference saved please let me know. I was only able to see the last 1/3.
                    Ditto...they blocked the site at work...

Comment

Yes, we established that it appears most, if not all NCAA caches have degrees. If it is a NCAA requirement it should have been pointed out BU was just following it when mentioning the candidates without one that were not finalists. Instead there were several pointed attacks aimed at BU for making it a requirement for their new head coach.

Sean
                      My post was saying that the 3 people who didn't have a degree weren't good candidates (IMO) even if they did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                        My post was saying that the 3 people who didn't have a degree weren't good candidates (IMO) even if they did.
                        Not you, Adam Wodon.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                          Albie's assistant coaching hires will tell a lot about him. A solid head coach will hire strong assistants in areas that he recognizes his own weaknesses.
                          NU's Jerry Keefe has been mentioned and I previously suggested Joe Pereira, who has done a very good job at UConn. Now hearing Mike Grier as a possibility. Grier was Albie's teammate at both St. Seb's and BU and would bring NHL connections to the mix. He's been scouting and is coordinator of player development with the Junior Terriers.
                          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                            There are clips on the BU Men's Hockey Twitter. Albie was introduced by John Bolton's non-evil twin.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                              I personally have wondered how much he was responsible for the ****ty first half of this past season. Just curious that he comes on and all of a sudden the quality of play plummets as compared to the past few seasons? I was told by some folks that no, I am wrong, he is really well-respected and highly regarded, but I don't know .... He certainly never had much success in wins and losses as a coach. Prior to Quinn leaving, I was hoping Len would not be back. Hopefully that is more likely now.
                              That's a pretty irresponsible statement. You say some people told you he is well-respected, but where is anything specific to back up the suggestion that he was responsible for a mediocre first half? We see enough claims backed up by nothing from a big white house in D.C.

Comment

What I find most interesting about this is I didn't read anything like it when Denver hired David Carle as head coach. No talk about DU's AD costing their program dearly for hiring an assistant with no head coaching experience over Coach Bazin. And compare the two CHN articles. In the fourth paragraph of the article on Carle's hire, after a glowing paragraph of him being the youngest DI head coach since 1999 and a single sentence paragraph that he was he was offered the UAA position, it states "...but Denver went through with a lengthy interview process that included a long look at Massachusetts-Lowell's Norm Bazin.". Yet no knock on Carle for his lack of head coaching experince. In fact the article makes sure to let it be known that Carle had starting coaching as a freshman in college, so he had 4 more years of coaching experience than others his age. Now compare that to the article on BU hiring Coach O'Connell where, in the second paragraph it states "Though he has never been a head coach on any level, O'Connell has been an assistant at a variety of New England schools consistently since he started coaching in 2003." Pretty much a straight slap in the face.

I was also surprised by Joe Meloni's tweet

Albie has spent 15 seasons as an assistant coach in the college ranks and it's a "hell of an ascent"? Yet when I do a search for similar tweets about Coach Carle I don't find any. Which is strange because it would seem that Coach Carle had more of a "hell of an ascent". And I don't recall any such concern when North Dakota promoted Brad Berry within 24 hours of Dave Hakstol resigning and being named the Flyers head coach. No national search, no looking at top head coaches, and yet nothing about how UND made a mistake.

Thanks for bringing this up, Sean. This was the other thing that was annoying!! I didn't see anything like this when David Carle was hired a few weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X