Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

I agree that Albie and Sacco are two most logical choices. One has put in his dues and would provide most continuity. The other has head coaching experience and already working in Boston. Plus, Sacco has money in the bank from that NHL gig already. At this point he might be content with the BU job as his ideal final destination.

Comment

As a BC fan though, I say give it to Quesnelle. Albie will leave in frustration and Len can bring back Bavis as assistant

Comment

Doesnt BU have to go with Albie? He has 14 years of asst. coaching experience, played at BU, on BU staff, unbelievable recruiter. If they pass over Albie no doubt he will hit the road (unless he is content as an asst. coach). Albie stays and recruits are more comfortable with situation I assume. If Albie gets head job and they add a great asst coach that would probably be ideal IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
          Doesnt BU have to go with Albie? He has 14 years of asst. coaching experience, played at BU, on BU staff, unbelievable recruiter. If they pass over Albie no doubt he will hit the road (unless he is content as an asst. coach). Albie stays and recruits are more comfortable with situation I assume. If Albie gets head job and they add a great asst coach that would probably be ideal IMO.
          If he doesn't get this job he might not ever get a head coaching job.
          Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
            The more I think about it, I agree it's an appealing option. Also it would seem Albie is much less of a risk to take an NHL job than Sacco, Pandolfo, or any of the other guys currently coaching at the pro level.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              I agree that Albie and Sacco are two most logical choices. One has put in his dues and would provide most continuity. The other has head coaching experience and already working in Boston. Plus, Sacco has money in the bank from that NHL gig already. At this point he might be content with the BU job as his ideal final destination.
              From what I've been told, Sacco has not been shy in telling people in the area that he wants this job a lot. At least prior to this Quinn development and I would imagine there's no change.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Kevin Paul Dupont Verified account @GlobeKPD
                46m46 minutes ago
                Big week for @TerrierHockey. Paul Fenton ('82) named Wild GM Mon. David Quinn ('87) expected to be named NYR coach on Tues.
                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

I read Mike McMahon's handicapping of BU coaching candidates over on College Hockey News. Many BU bluebloods with primarily pro credentials. He also threw out local suspects with Boston connections (Keefe, Pearl really?!) The last name on the list was Rick Bennett from Union.

Don't overlook Bennett. No nonsense assistant under Nate Lehman who won NCAA title for the non-scholarship Dutch. Has dominated ECAC. Massachusetts roots, recruits NE well for Union, Hockey East Providence. Not everyone can go to BU. Hard nosed player who preaches solid two-way physical play while his 'pack of wolves' approach fills the net. Scoring in bunches. Agganis would rock!

Don't over look him. He's not a Terrier but he's the real deal.
                  Last edited by Berkshire BU Fan; 05-21-2018, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Berkshire BU Fan View Post
                    I read Mike McMahon's handicapping of BU coaching candidates over on College Hockey News. Many BU bluebloods with primarily pro credentials. He also threw out local suspects with Boston connections (Keefe, Pearl really?!) The last name on the list was Rick Bennett from Union.

Don't overlook Bennett. No nonsense assistant under Nate Lehman who won NCAA title for the non-scholarship Dutch. Has dominated ECAC. Massachusetts roots, recruits NE well for Union, Hockey East Providence. Not everyone can go to BU. Hard nosed player who preaches solid two-way physical play while his 'pack of wolves' approach fills the net. Scoring in bunches. Agganis would rock!

Don't over look him. He's not a Terrier but he's the real deal.
                    Bennett would be great at BU but he would also be the total opposite of what they have had. I can't imagine him handling blue chip recruits with kid gloves. He's just a no nonsense butt whipper. Does that work with 1st rounders??? Would be intersting though.
                    Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                      Kevin Paul Dupont Verified account @GlobeKPD
                      46m46 minutes ago
                      Having 3/32 coaches come from here is rather cool.
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Don't overlook Bennett. No nonsense assistant under Nate Lehman who won NCAA title for the non-scholarship Dutch. Has dominated ECAC.
                        Coach Bennett pretty much makes the case for BU to hire Albie.

Sean
                        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                        BU Hockey highlights and extras
                        NCAA Hockey Financials
                        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                          Coach Bennett pretty much makes the case for BU to hire Albie.

Sean
                          If BU is going to hire an outsider the AD would have to make the judgment that the current track of the program isn't what he wants and isn't the most successful one. Bennett (or any other of the non-BU candidates) brings in a very different style of coaching, recruiting, and program philosophy. Hiring that outsider would require a complete overhaul of the coaching staff, a complete overhaul of the recruiting targets as many would decommit, and potentially an overhaul of the roster depending on who left. I really don't think that's the right move for the program right now. What remains to be seen is if any of the "BU family" candidates meet the coaching requirements that the AD is looking for.

The program is in an excellent spot right now relative to the rest of the conference and nationally. Quinn did an excellent job of modernizing BU hockey from a recruiting, analytics, and philosophy standpoint after Parker left it in the 1990s. The qualms with Quinn were specific x's and o's points, not that he was recruiting poorly, not keeping his players, or any off-ice issues. If Albie can convince the AD that he's got the right x's and o's mettle to be a head coach, he would appear to be the most logical choice as he's been an integral part of the other successes the program has had since Quinn took over.
                          Last edited by brassbonanza; 05-22-2018, 12:49 AM.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            If BU is going to hire an outsider the AD would have to make the judgment that the current track of the program isn't what he wants and isn't the most successful one. Bennett (or any other of the non-BU candidates) brings in a very different style of coaching, recruiting, and program philosophy. Hiring that outsider would require a complete overhaul of the coaching staff, a complete overhaul of the recruiting targets as many would decommit, and potentially an overhaul of the roster depending on who left. I really don't think that's the right move for the program right now. What remains to be seen is if any of the "BU family" candidates meet the coaching requirements that the AD is looking for.

The program is in an excellent spot right now relative to the rest of the conference and nationally. Quinn did an excellent job of modernizing BU hockey from a recruiting, analytics, and philosophy standpoint after Parker left it in the 1990s. The qualms with Quinn were specific x's and o's points, not that he was recruiting poorly, not keeping his players, or any off-ice issues. If Albie can convince the AD that he's got the right x's and o's mettle to be a head coach, he would appear to be the most logical choice as he's been an integral part of the other successes the program has had since Quinn took over.

Appreciate thoughtful posters like Sean and Brassbonanza weighing in. Good points. BU's lucky to have a deep pool of good candidates. BU's a special place.

I think Bennett would be a strong candidate. Lots of paths lead to success. (title: Union 7, Minnesota 4) Looking at Union's level of commitment and their success rate, imagine what a seasoned college coach like Bennett could do with our obvious resource advantages.

At least reach out and do the due diligence. He may yet turn up at BU... coaching another HE team. (A stretch? Ask Nate Lehman.)

Comment

non-scholarship Dutch.
                              I laugh every time I read or hear someone say this.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Appreciate thoughtful posters like Sean and Brassbonanza weighing in. Good points. BU's lucky to have a deep pool of good candidates. BU's a special place.

I think Bennett would be a strong candidate. Lots of paths lead to success. (title: Union 7, Minnesota 4) Looking at Union's level of commitment and their success rate, imagine what a seasoned college coach like Bennett could do with our obvious resource advantages.

At least reach out and do the due diligence. He may yet turn up at BU... coaching another HE team. (A stretch? Ask Nate Lehman.)
                                My comments certainly were no knock on Bennett, he's an excellent coach who with the resources at BU would very likely do a great job. It's more that the upfront cost of hiring someone completely new who runs a totally different system would be very, very high. That cost being what I noted above - current coaches, recruits, roster, staff, etc. Is it worthwhile to throw all of that out the window to hire someone? My thoughts are no.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X