Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 901 to 920 of 1001

Thread: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

  1. #901
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    5,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Officially Albie OíConnell per email from BU AD.
    Email to friends of hockey? To season-ticket holderís? To alums?

  2. #902
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,628

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Donors.

  3. #903
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    207
    Wonder if Tom Welby will be his first hire 😉

  4. #904
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Posts
    162

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    It's just been posted on FB by the official BU men's hockey page that Albie O'Connell is the new HC of the Terriers.
    Boston University CAS'88

    GO BU!

  5. #905
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,628

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Hi, welcome to an hour ago.

  6. #906
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    2,986

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    I am so relieved. I think Albie will do well.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  7. #907
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    5,933

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Good choice IMO

  8. #908
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Marblehead
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Good choice IMO
    Good enough to keep you in your seat next season?

  9. #909
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    3,014

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Jerry Keefe an early candidate for the vacant associate HC position per Jeff Cox. He's a longtime friend of Albie.

  10. #910
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    3

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Good, sound choice. Heís had enough assistant experience in a wide variety of other schoolís programs to be well prepared. This should retain most of the recruits in the pipeline as well. It will be very interesting to see how the rest of the staff fills out.

  11. #911
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    5,933
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughEmUp View Post
    Good enough to keep you in your seat next season?
    Will most likely renew yeah. My annual debate of weather to renew or not is more because season tix have been a bad investment for me for quite a few years. (With other life commitments / kids activities etc etc I end up going to about half the games, and donít even use all my tickets for the games I do go to). Combine that with that the games never sell out etc, it would truly be smarter for me to just buy individual tickets for the games I go to. At this point I largely view my tickets as a donation to the school.

    A hire with zero sentimental value (like Bennet) may have been enough to finally cut the cord.

    That being said, Iím psyched for the hire and hope he keeps the momentum going.

  12. #912
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    44

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Good luck Coach Albie

  13. #913
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,375

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Quote Originally Posted by Berkshire BU Fan View Post
    Good luck Coach Albie
    Echo, congrats Albie. Even from a Maine hockey fan. BU got it right, in my humble opinion.

  14. #914
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,440

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Good

  15. #915
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    192

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    BU got it right. Albie deserved the position.

  16. #916
    THEY CAN NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    205

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Good for Albie. Hope it works out for him. As for Jerry Keefe why the hell would Mad Dog ever let him go? If the rumors are true that he runs things at Northeastern and is really the one in charge then Northeastern will have to pay up to keep him. No way Madigan lets Keefe go to BU of all places.

  17. #917
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    192

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Quote Originally Posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
    Good for Albie. Hope it works out for him. As for Jerry Keefe why the hell would Mad Dog ever let him go? If the rumors are true that he runs things at Northeastern and is really the one in charge then Northeastern will have to pay up to keep him. No way Madigan lets Keefe go to BU of all places.
    Not sure how close Albie and Keefe are but if as reported they are great friends thats a plus. Add in probably a higher salary and a higher visibility hockey program and that may be things that Keefe would look at. Like it or not coaching at BU is moving up the chart compared to NU.

  18. #918
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    3,014

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    Not sure how close Albie and Keefe are but if as reported they are great friends thats a plus. Add in probably a higher salary and a higher visibility hockey program and that may be things that Keefe would look at. Like it or not coaching at BU is moving up the chart compared to NU.
    I would be ecstatic to have Keefe on the staff. It'd also be nice to have another "outsider" coach on the staff as well, especially one with an established relationship with Albie and has proven himself to be a fantastic top assistant.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  19. #919
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    BU absolutely made the right choice. Albie is the right coach for both right now and long-term.

    Hiring Bennett would've been a colossal risk for BU, one that I think would've been costly for BU in multiple ways -- buyout from existing contract, lost $$$$ from ticket sales & FOH donations, and Bennett being a flight risk from day 1 if the NHL or his alma mater came calling.

    I also perceive that Bennett (or someone in his camp) has been going to his "friends" in the media to promote him. In recent days I've seen at least 4 prominent college hockey media folks "go to bat" for him on Twitter advocating him for the BU job. In the last 1-2 days, 2 of these writers -- both of whom mostly cover the ECAC for the same outlet -- have, IMO, pretty much revealed themselves as shills for Bennett. These 2 writers have been particularly critical towards the BU administration over the search/hiring process, using other BU candidates reportedly in the mix as examples as disguise for them promoting Bennett. One writer has also been patting himself on the back on Twitter for drawing the ire of the BU fan base.

    I also learned that Union's President is stepping down; he's reportedly a huge supporter of the hockey program and I presume Bennett has a strong relationship with him. With that in mind, I speculate Bennett may have been using the BU opportunity to get his name out there by leveraging folks in the media whom he has a good rapport with to promote him. This is NOT the type of head coach I want at BU, nor anywhere for that matter.

    In any event, I think BU is in very good hands with Albie and it'll be interesting to see how he rounds out his staff.

  20. #920
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,628

    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

    Quote Originally Posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

    I also perceive that Bennett (or someone in his camp) has been going to his "friends" in the media to promote him. In recent days I've seen at least 4 prominent college hockey media folks "go to bat" for him on Twitter advocating him for the BU job. In the last 1-2 days, 2 of these writers -- both of whom mostly cover the ECAC for the same outlet -- have, IMO, pretty much revealed themselves as shills for Bennett. These 2 writers have been particularly critical towards the BU administration over the search/hiring process, using other BU candidates reportedly in the mix as examples as disguise for them promoting Bennett. One writer has also been patting himself on the back on Twitter for drawing the ire of the BU fan base.

    I also learned that Union's President is stepping down; he's reportedly a huge supporter of the hockey program and I presume Bennett has a strong relationship with him. With that in mind, I speculate Bennett may have been using the BU opportunity to get his name out there by leveraging folks in the media whom he has a good rapport with to promote him. This is NOT the type of head coach I want at BU, nor anywhere for that matter.
    THANK YOU for posting this. You articulated this better than I could. I was getting into a back and forth with them last night. It was so odd how upset Adam Wodon was getting, to the point where he blocked on person on Twitter after being kinda rude to him and complaining he was being attacked (which he wasn't and if he thinks THAT was being attacked, he's pretty new to this game). He was overly defensive. Both had issues with BU wanting someone who was a graduate and that all but left O'Connell as the only candidate and that they strung Bennett along. Which they did not. That's how it works in the real world. And if Bennett had issues with that process and then whined to certain people about it, then he absolutely was the wrong person for the job.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •