Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    Don't mean to troll your board but the term "Happy" Memorial Day is beyond nave to the point of being ignorant. The names of several of my Northeastern classmates are on the wall at Northeastern and I believe there are even more BU guys who gave their all going back to when the 26th (Yankee) Infantry Division, based at where Agganis now sits, spearheaded the US offensives in WWI. Certainly, more BU guys followed in WWII, Korea, RVN, and the Middle East. Sorry if I sound preachy, but really...
    You're right, thanks for the reminder. I adjusted my post.

Super Serial

Quote Originally Posted by Berkshire BU Fan View Post
    Been reading the thread today (By the way, Happy Memorial Day, everyone!) and have been following the back and forth on the points being made. Context adds a lot to the conversation.

Take Andy Murray. His name surfaced about 12 years ago for RPI's opening but that didn't happen. He went back to the pros and resurfaced at Western Michigan. His first two years in the CCHA were really good battling with Michigan. Michigan State and Miami, then with realignment WM is in the NCHC. Much harder struggle... look at his neighbors. This year, they were in 7th at 10-13-1... St. Cloud, Denver and North Dakota are powerhouses. Who was the NCHC third place finisher this year? National champion Duluth (conference record: 13-10-1). WM really has their work cut out for them in that league. Finishing higher than fifth in the NCHC is worth a big gold star. Could you picture Merrimack or UMass consistently cracking the top four in Hockey East?

About a week ago, I was posting on behalf of Rick Bennett at Union who has accomplished an awful lot with limited resources. If BU 'goes outside,' they could do a lot worse than Rick Bennett. I still hope BU is doing their due diligence on him. I really believe he would be a great pick for the Terriers.

Would Bennett's resume look as glossy if the ECAC were as power-packed as the NCHC? Guess we'll never know for sure. Context matters.
    The problem with going for a guy like Bennett is it would be a very radical shift for the program as a whole. New coaching staff top to bottom, new philosophy, new recruits. If the AD is going to consider that, why not take a run at other coaches like Leaman and Bazin? I don't think that's the direction BU wants to go and I also don't think it's necessary. Despite the opinions of a select few here, Quinn positioned the program very well to succeed in modern college hockey. Some tweaks may be necessary to get over the hump, but blowing it all up and starting over isn't necessary.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

Blackhawks!!!

About a week ago, I posting about the idea of Rick Bennett from Union (who has accomplished an awful lot with limited resources) as the next BU coach. If the Terriers 'go outside,' they could do a whole lot worse than Rick Bennett. I still hope BU is doing their due diligence on him. I really believe he would be a great pick here.

Would Bennett's resume look as glossy if the ECAC were as power-packed as the NCHC? Guess we'll never know. Context, context, context.
    No thanks.

https://youtu.be/Tq5Uy7CR6VM?t=54s
    It Happened!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    I remember this event was widely reported at the time (2014). Union lost just once more for the rest of the season.

The ECAC gave him a two or three game suspension. (The RPI coach got a one game suspension. That was hilarious.) Bennett apologized profusely after the event. At that time, Union administrators chose not to penalize him further. I was very surprised... I remember how it ended for Woody Hayes. And Union's a very image-conscious, a very, very 'pc' kind of place.

They went on to win the title in 2014. He was named Division I Coach of the Year. Someone must have voted for him.

He dishonored his school and his team that night. Somehow he survived. He apologized. There has been no 'second incident.' He seems to have matured and has made the most of a second chance... he has won a few more ECAC titles and earned NCAA tournament appearances. Under these circumstances, he's worth a look.

BU wants the best. I did say our people should do their due diligence. (I wonder what our search committee has come to know about this? Of course, they can't comment...)
    Last edited by Berkshire BU Fan; 05-28-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Super Serial

I remember this event was widely reported at the time (2014). Union lost just once more for the rest of the season.

The ECAC gave him a two or three game suspension. (The RPI coach got a one game suspension. That was hilarious.) Bennett apologized profusely after the event. At that time, Union administrators chose not to penalize him further. I was very surprised... I remember how it ended for Woody Hayes. And Union's a very image-conscious, a very, very 'pc' kind of place.

They went on to win the title in 2014. He was named Division I Coach of the Year. Someone must have voted for him.

He dishonored his school and his team that night. Somehow he survived. He apologized. There has been no 'second incident.' He seems to have matured and has made the most of a second chance... he has won a few more ECAC titles and earned NCAA tournament appearances. Under these circumstances, he's worth a look.

BU wants the best. I did say our people should do their due diligence. (I wonder what our search committee has come to know about this? Of course, they can't comment...)
    That's fine and I'm sure he regrets his actions, but while he seems to be a very solid coach and I'm sure would do well, I still don't see the reason for a massive makeover of the BU hockey program just to hire Rick Bennett.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    Don't mean to troll your board but the term "Happy" Memorial Day is beyond nave to the point of being ignorant.
    Agreed.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogie21 View Post
    Sixty Minute Man - Clyde McPhatter (Later of The Drifters)
    Time in a bottle - Jim Croce

Whats the timeframe for getting a new coach? A few weeks? A few months? Anyone hear of any interviews as of yet?

Veteran

Guys, I'm starting to wonder if the poster who just signed up for this board once BU had a head coach vacancy and only posts here to say positive things about Rick Bennett should be considered a credible source.

FWIW personally I would prefer Greeley, but from an outside perspective looking at his career track I would be surprised if he was interested in this job. Short of that it would be hard to do better than Albie, IMO, but then that leaves an important assistant coach vacancy to fill.

I always took Joe Sacco to be a tad too aloof to connect with the college players, but that is with only a couple of 'aged' observations on my part. He plays a role on a young team that exceeded expectations, so maybe my observation isn't worth anything. I think if Albie wants the job, it's going to take a lot of work to keep him happy as that is a lot of bridesmaid's dresses.
    "What about my asthma?"
    "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Agganis View Post
    Guys, I'm starting to wonder if the poster who just signed up for this board once BU had a head coach vacancy and only posts here to say positive things about Rick Bennett should be considered a credible source.
    Agreed, although in fairness Im not sure he ever claimed to know anything or have inside info and was mostly offering opinion.

Personally Id be pretty shocked if Bennett is the next head coach.

Holding court

Sixty Minute Man - Clyde McPhatter (Later of The Drifters)
    Seventeen - Winger
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Doggie Out! Afuera!

Quote Originally Posted by nick papagiorgio View Post
    seventeen - winger
    lol
    The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
    BC - 12
    BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

So far, through various sources (some more reliable than others), it seems the following names have been mentioned in some way, shape or form as potential candidates to replace Quinn:

Albie O'Connell
    Joe Sacco
    Jay Pandolfo
    Steve Greeley
    Shawn McEachern
    Clark Donatelli
    Len Quesnelle
    Rick Bennett
    Nate Leaman
    Norm Bazin

My $.02:

It will be a BU guy. There isn't a need to strongly consider non-BU candidates, even if they may be well-qualified, as the current state of BU Hockey doesn't require a shake-up as much as continuity with some fine-tuning.

Albie, Sacco, Pandolfo and Greeley seem to be the names that come up the most. Most BU fans I've been in touch with want (and believe) Albie will be the next HC.

However, 2 people I've talked to think Greeley could be given strong consideration. Also, a former player whom I'm connected to has heard Pandolfo might be the preferred choice.

Admittedly the pool of candidates supposedly in consideration isn't quite as strong as when Parker retired. However, it's a quality pool of candidates that most programs in this situation would clamor for.

My preference is for Albie. He brings continuity to the players, staff and fans/donors. This is presumably his dream job. We all know how proficient a recruiter he is; however I have questions on whether he can be that good from a player development and in-game coaching standpoint.

Sacco is well-qualified from a coaching standpoint. However, what might his level of commitment/interest be in recruiting and the behind-the-scenes stuff (dealing with staff, administration, fans, donors)? And if the right NHL opportunity arose, might he return to the NHL?

Pandolfo has a lot of upside. Played the game the right way as a player and has quickly risen through the player development/coaching ranks. I think he could be terrific from a player development and in-game coaching standpoint, and may have greater inclination to stay long-term if successful.

Greeley has a terrific hockey mind, communication and interpersonal skills. However, his coaching experience is so limited that he would need strong, experienced assistants who can share the player development and in-game coaching duties. And is the NHL GM track a better fit for his career aspirations?

I think Albie would be the smart choice. However, I would also be very excited if Pandolfo was named the next HC. I was very impressed with Greeley the few times I met him when he was on the staff, but I just don't know if it's the right fit. With Sacco, I question whether he could smoothly make the transition to college hockey after being a NHL HC/AC for many years without having one eye looking at the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
    So far, through various sources (some more reliable than others), it seems the following names have been mentioned in some way, shape or form as potential candidates to replace Quinn:

Albie O'Connell
    Joe Sacco
    Jay Pandolfo
    Steve Greeley
    Shawn McEachern
    Clark Donatelli
    Len Quesnelle
    Rick Bennett
    Nate Leaman
    Norm Bazin

My $.02:

It will be a BU guy. There isn't a need to strongly consider non-BU candidates, even if they may be well-qualified, as the current state of BU Hockey doesn't require a shake-up as much as continuity with some fine-tuning.

Albie, Sacco, Pandolfo and Greeley seem to be the names that come up the most. Most BU fans I've been in touch with want (and believe) Albie will be the next HC.

However, 2 people I've talked to think Greeley could be given strong consideration. Also, a former player whom I'm connected to has heard Pandolfo might be the preferred choice.

Admittedly the pool of candidates supposedly in consideration isn't quite as strong as when Parker retired. However, it's a quality pool of candidates that most programs in this situation would clamor for.

My preference is for Albie. He brings continuity to the players, staff and fans/donors. This is presumably his dream job. We all know how proficient a recruiter he is; however I have questions on whether he can be that good from a player development and in-game coaching standpoint.

Sacco is well-qualified from a coaching standpoint. However, what might his level of commitment/interest be in recruiting and the behind-the-scenes stuff (dealing with staff, administration, fans, donors)? And if the right NHL opportunity arose, might he return to the NHL?

Pandolfo has a lot of upside. Played the game the right way as a player and has quickly risen through the player development/coaching ranks. I think he could be terrific from a player development and in-game coaching standpoint, and may have greater inclination to stay long-term if successful.

Greeley has a terrific hockey mind, communication and interpersonal skills. However, his coaching experience is so limited that he would need strong, experienced assistants who can share the player development and in-game coaching duties. And is the NHL GM track a better fit for his career aspirations?

I think Albie would be the smart choice. However, I would also be very excited if Pandolfo was named the next HC. I was very impressed with Greeley the few times I met him when he was on the staff, but I just don't know if it's the right fit. With Sacco, I question whether he could smoothly make the transition to college hockey after being a NHL HC/AC for many years without having one eye looking at the NHL.

Good stuff. I am in agreement that the natural fit is Albie. He has 14+ years of assistant coaching under some great coaches and his recruiting prowess is well known. I think he has to be the guy in order to keep the commits they have offered. Additionally, if they pass over Albie then I assume he will hit the road and losing Quinn/Albie wouldnt be a good thing. The caveat is if Albie wants to just be an asst. coach and enjoys the player recruiting side and possibly eyes a scouting/GM role at the next level. Then having a Pandolfo/Albie coaching staff would be great.

- Dont see Sacco as a fit for the same reasons you mentioned.
    - Greeley seems to have GM aspirations and is in a good spot - unless he misses coaching.
    - Would be thrilled to have Bazin or Leaman but they are both in good places and have contracts in place.
    - Donatelli, Quesnelle, Bennett, McEachern are no's for me as head coaches.

Opposite Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    - Donatelli, Quesnelle, Bennett, McEachern are no's for me as head coaches.
    But I think any one of those should be in consideration for assistant coaches. And as someone mentioned earlier - see if we could snag Joe Pereira from UConn. Also - Albie, Pandolfo and Joe P are all former captains. Might not mean anything but I think that's interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    But I think any one of those should be in consideration for assistant coaches. And as someone mentioned earlier - see if we could snag Joe Pereira from UConn. Also - Albie, Pandolfo and Joe P are all former captains. Might not mean anything but I think that's interesting.
    Absolutely agree. Great asst coaches just wouldnt thrill me as head coaches right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Agganis View Post
    FWIW personally I would prefer Greeley, but from an outside perspective looking at his career track I would be surprised if he was interested in this job. Short of that it would be hard to do better than Albie, IMO, but then that leaves an important assistant coach vacancy to fill.
    I was surprised, too, to hear from a knowledgeable source that Greeley is interested in the HC job, especially since he recently applied for the Carolina GM job. (And there are rumors that he turned it down--but why would he do that?). Also hearing that McEachern is interested as well. He's considered to be a good Xs and Os guy, very articulate and can show potential recruits a Stanley Cup ring on both hands.

Beer Drinker

I was surprised, too, to hear from a knowledgeable source that Greeley is interested in the HC job, especially since he recently applied for the Carolina GM job. (And there are rumors that he turned it down--but why would he do that?). Also hearing that McEachern is interested as well. He's considered to be a good Xs and Os guy, very articulate and can show potential recruits a Stanley Cup ring on both hands.
    I'd like to see McEachern, especiallly if Albie stays on as associate HC. The assistants do most of the recruiting, not the HC. Albie and Len are doing great in that role. HC comes in to seal the deal, and the rings will help with that. Also, he has his degree. I think some on the list do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    The caveat is if Albie wants to just be an asst. coach and enjoys the player recruiting side and possibly eyes a scouting/GM role at the next level. Then having a Pandolfo/Albie coaching staff would be great.
    I was thinking the same thing. Not everyone that is really good as an assistant is destined to be a HC, and some people who know what their strengths are may be willing to stay in their current role, rather than get promoted and fail.

Pandolfo vs. Sacco as HC would be an interesting debate. They both have name recognition (for recruiting purposes) but different. Pandolfo for his long playing career and Sacco for being an NHL HC. Pandolfo seems like a quieter guy and I have more trouble picturing him in the role, but not really with a very good reason. Sacco left BU a year early and his NHL career never really got traction. Pandolfo was a stellar, though never flashy, two way forward who had a very strong 4-year career and parlayed that into a regular NHL role for many years. Maybe we could have a Burlington vs. Medford scrimmage to see who gets the gig :-)

I could see McEachern as a dark horse, as I think he has gotten very good reviews for the work he has done at Rivers. But it probably makes sense for him to start as an assistant.

Either way, it is very intriguing...
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Thread Information