Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Good for Albie. Hope it works out for him. As for Jerry Keefe why the hell would Mad Dog ever let him go? If the rumors are true that he runs things at Northeastern and is really the one in charge then Northeastern will have to pay up to keep him. No way Madigan lets Keefe go to BU of all places.
    Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
      Good for Albie. Hope it works out for him. As for Jerry Keefe why the hell would Mad Dog ever let him go? If the rumors are true that he runs things at Northeastern and is really the one in charge then Northeastern will have to pay up to keep him. No way Madigan lets Keefe go to BU of all places.
      Not sure how close Albie and Keefe are but if as reported they are great friends thats a plus. Add in probably a higher salary and a higher visibility hockey program and that may be things that Keefe would look at. Like it or not coaching at BU is moving up the chart compared to NU.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
        Not sure how close Albie and Keefe are but if as reported they are great friends thats a plus. Add in probably a higher salary and a higher visibility hockey program and that may be things that Keefe would look at. Like it or not coaching at BU is moving up the chart compared to NU.
        I would be ecstatic to have Keefe on the staff. It'd also be nice to have another "outsider" coach on the staff as well, especially one with an established relationship with Albie and has proven himself to be a fantastic top assistant.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

BU absolutely made the right choice. Albie is the right coach for both right now and long-term.

Hiring Bennett would've been a colossal risk for BU, one that I think would've been costly for BU in multiple ways -- buyout from existing contract, lost $$$$ from ticket sales & FOH donations, and Bennett being a flight risk from day 1 if the NHL or his alma mater came calling.

I also perceive that Bennett (or someone in his camp) has been going to his "friends" in the media to promote him. In recent days I've seen at least 4 prominent college hockey media folks "go to bat" for him on Twitter advocating him for the BU job. In the last 1-2 days, 2 of these writers -- both of whom mostly cover the ECAC for the same outlet -- have, IMO, pretty much revealed themselves as shills for Bennett. These 2 writers have been particularly critical towards the BU administration over the search/hiring process, using other BU candidates reportedly in the mix as examples as disguise for them promoting Bennett. One writer has also been patting himself on the back on Twitter for drawing the ire of the BU fan base.

I also learned that Union's President is stepping down; he's reportedly a huge supporter of the hockey program and I presume Bennett has a strong relationship with him. With that in mind, I speculate Bennett may have been using the BU opportunity to get his name out there by leveraging folks in the media whom he has a good rapport with to promote him. This is NOT the type of head coach I want at BU, nor anywhere for that matter.

In any event, I think BU is in very good hands with Albie and it'll be interesting to see how he rounds out his staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

I also perceive that Bennett (or someone in his camp) has been going to his "friends" in the media to promote him. In recent days I've seen at least 4 prominent college hockey media folks "go to bat" for him on Twitter advocating him for the BU job. In the last 1-2 days, 2 of these writers -- both of whom mostly cover the ECAC for the same outlet -- have, IMO, pretty much revealed themselves as shills for Bennett. These 2 writers have been particularly critical towards the BU administration over the search/hiring process, using other BU candidates reportedly in the mix as examples as disguise for them promoting Bennett. One writer has also been patting himself on the back on Twitter for drawing the ire of the BU fan base.

I also learned that Union's President is stepping down; he's reportedly a huge supporter of the hockey program and I presume Bennett has a strong relationship with him. With that in mind, I speculate Bennett may have been using the BU opportunity to get his name out there by leveraging folks in the media whom he has a good rapport with to promote him. This is NOT the type of head coach I want at BU, nor anywhere for that matter.
            THANK YOU for posting this. You articulated this better than I could. I was getting into a back and forth with them last night. It was so odd how upset Adam Wodon was getting, to the point where he blocked on person on Twitter after being kinda rude to him and complaining he was being attacked (which he wasn't and if he thinks THAT was being attacked, he's pretty new to this game). He was overly defensive. Both had issues with BU wanting someone who was a graduate and that all but left O'Connell as the only candidate and that they strung Bennett along. Which they did not. That's how it works in the real world. And if Bennett had issues with that process and then whined to certain people about it, then he absolutely was the wrong person for the job.

Comment

New Minnesota Wild GM Paul Fenton has hired as an assistant former Terrier Jack Ferreira, the man who gave him a scouting job with San Jose when Fenton's playing career ended. Ferreira was also GM of the previous Minnesota team, the Stars. https://www.hockeywilderness.com/201...n-front-office
              The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                THANK YOU for posting this. You articulated this better than I could. I was getting into a back and forth with them last night. It was so odd how upset Adam Wodon was getting, to the point where he blocked on person on Twitter after being kinda rude to him and complaining he was being attacked (which he wasn't and if he thinks THAT was being attacked, he's pretty new to this game). He was overly defensive. Both had issues with BU wanting someone who was a graduate and that all but left O'Connell as the only candidate and that they strung Bennett along. Which they did not. That's how it works in the real world. And if Bennett had issues with that process and then whined to certain people about it, then he absolutely was the wrong person for the job.
                It was tempting to get into a back-forth with Wodon and Joe Meloni, but like players on the ice, sometimes it's best to skate away and not retaliate. Agree 110% with how bent out of shape Wodon got over this, which seemed to cross the line between providing commentary/op-ed and something that truly struck a nerve with him. I used to respect the work Wodon did, but he's been a bit erratic of late when reading his tweets; he even seemed Trump-esque at times over the BU situation.

Comment

BU absolutely made the right choice. Albie is the right coach for both right now and long-term.

Hiring Bennett would've been a colossal risk for BU, one that I think would've been costly for BU in multiple ways -- buyout from existing contract, lost $$$$ from ticket sales & FOH donations, and Bennett being a flight risk from day 1 if the NHL or his alma mater came calling.

In any event, I think BU is in very good hands with Albie and it'll be interesting to see how he rounds out his staff.
                  I'd like to read these tweets and comments. Besides Wodon and Meloni, who were the other two?

Comment

Pardon the interruption...

The BMO Harris Bradley Center in Milwaukee, WI is liquidating some of the various artifacts they have acquired through the years. One of the items is a Boston University jersey signed by the team.

I would guess this is from 1997 when Michigan appeared in the Frozen Four at the BC. This looks like a game-worn jersey from Billy Pierce, with a Captain's C on the chest.

Take a look and see if this is something you might want to add to your collection.

LINK

Comment

It was tempting to get into a back-forth with Wodon and Joe Meloni, but like players on the ice, sometimes it's best to skate away and not retaliate. Agree 110% with how bent out of shape Wodon got over this, which seemed to cross the line between providing commentary/op-ed and something that truly struck a nerve with him. I used to respect the work Wodon did, but he's been a bit erratic of late when reading his tweets; he even seemed Trump-esque at times over the BU situation.
                      I did try to state that this job is more than just the coaching. The head coach is the face of this program, involving more than just the play on the ice. They seem to just be focusing on the coaching aspect. You can't do that in college hockey in my opinion. While it's really awesome that this program has become a definite stepping stone to the NHL for more than just players, this is not the #32ndNHLTeam we joke about. At least in my opinion.

Comment

From this outsiders perspective, I think BU made the right decision going with Albie as well. The guy has built some good experience, he's put his time in, and it provides continuity, and it would be very hard to say that he doesn't deserve it.
                        The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                        BC - 12
                        BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Here's his twitter feed: https://***********/CHN_AdamWodon/with_replies?lang=en

You'll have a hard time backing up the assertion that he was shilling for Bennett based on those tweets. FYI the BU fans in his mentions seem just as butt hurt about mildly critical comments about the BU hiring process as he does responding to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                            I'd like to read these tweets and comments. Besides Wodon and Meloni, who were the other two?
                            Starman and Nate Ewell. Both put in a good word earlier in the process about Bennett's coaching abilities and track record at Union. Neither were as staunchly advocating for Bennett the way the CHN duo have come across. But it's hard not to believe that Bennett or those in his camp have been talking to the media.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                              This is the main one:

@CHN_AdamWodon

BU's AD locked himself in a bubble during this process and it's going to cost this storied program dearly.

https://***********/CHN_AdamWodon/st...56934590320641
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by popester View Post
                                Here's his twitter feed: https://***********/CHN_AdamWodon/with_replies?lang=en

You'll have a hard time backing up the assertion that he was shilling for Bennett based on those tweets.
                                I didn't quote your ridiculous "butthurt" comment. Where I will agree is that there is no evidence they are shilling for Bennett in particular.

However, those two seem very eager to throw some suspense and drama into this process and they have produced nothing to back that up. The below tweet is particularly ridiculous.

Where I will agree with Wodon is that BU shouldn't have eliminated candidates that didn't graduate. That is kind of silly IMO. People can coach NHL without graduating but not at BU? I know the response would be something like BU is a high-end University and should have a college graduate coaching. Well my response would be BU has been recruiting players for years that we know will never graduate before they even set foot on campus. Makes that point a bit hypocritical, no?

FYI - to be clear, I am completely supportive of hiring Albie. Not the exciting pick that Quinn was IMO, but likely the right pick.

Comment

Working...
                                X