X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    Watching the U18 world championships she stood out there. I think she will be OK at the D-I level.
    I have been very impressed with how well Heise is playing at the U22 level. Also Madeline Wethington has looked very solid as well.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Note of interest to both Gopher & Terrier fans
      Nina Rodgers signed with the Connecticut Whale (who the hell picked these team names?) for the coming season.

We met Nina's mom long before we met Nina, mom is a wonderful woman. Nina is a very special kid, total quality & an asset to any team she is on. What kpt her off the top line in MN was a lack of speed, she could shoot & score but didn't get to opportunities because she was not quick enough for the WCHA. A great person & I wish her a lot of success.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Totally agree, although like almost all freshmen, however talented they may be, there will be an adjustment period as she acclimates to the much faster D-1 pace. But if she is paired with linemates who can develop the kind of offensive chemistry that all Gopher fans hope to see - one that was mostly uncharacteristically missing at times last season - that adjustment period to the D-1 level could prove to be very short.

I will also say that the biggest question for this season's team (IMO) is not so much can they produce offensively, but how well (or not-so-well) can they play a solid "shut down" team defensive game when needed? I don't think there's any question that the Gophers will be able to out-score most teams on their schedule, as they look to have tons of offensive skill on this season's team. But how well will they be able to defend when the puck is trapped in their own zone by teams with similar offensive capabilities? When it gets down to crunch time, I think that's the big question that will determine how far this team can go.
        There will be no acclimation period for Heise. She stood out in the U-22 series this past week which is a step above normal D-1 competition. All the younger girls on team USA played much better than expected

Comment

Originally posted by Fiveholio View Post
          There will be no acclimation period for Heise. She stood out in the U-22 series this past week which is a step above normal D-1 competition. All the younger girls on team USA played much better than expected
          Good to hear, and am very much looking forward to seeing her wearing the Maroon and Gold!
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Good to hear, and am very much looking forward to seeing her wearing the Maroon and Gold!
            They had her with different line combinations in the games and if there was anything to nitpick about how she played in the series it was that she needs to work on winning faceoffs. However, she could be a good option centering a line with Zoom Boom if Pannek is on a line with the Potomak sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiveholio View Post
              There will be no acclimation period for Heise.
              I still have to guess there will be for UW. Right now all roads lead through them.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Meet the Newcomers: Catie Skaja

GS: "What is your earliest hockey memory?"

CS: "I think it was 10U; we won this tournament and I was holding up the trophy, and then the whole top of it fell off and fell on my head. I already had my helmet off, and it left a huge lump."

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/8...gn=GopherDaily

Comment

Meet the Newcomers: Catie Skaja

GS: "What is your earliest hockey memory?"

CS: "I think it was 10U; we won this tournament and I was holding up the trophy, and then the whole top of it fell off and fell on my head. I already had my helmet off, and it left a huge lump."

She was able to answer this question better than AB...

"Who's the best hockey player you've ever played against? We played against the Olympians at a camp. It was honestly probably Amanda Kessel, she scrimmaged with us one time."

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    I still have to guess there will be for UW. Right now all roads lead through them.
                    Yes, I am sure there will be an adjustment period for UW, but eventually they will get used to seeing her as she blows by them.

Comment

If team captains have been announced, I missed it. Since the State Fair appearance typically involves the captains, can I assume that some combination of Williamson, Schammel, and Pannek are captains?

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                        If team captains have been announced, I missed it. Since the State Fair appearance typically involves the captains, can I assume that some combination of Williamson, Schammel, and Pannek are captains?
                        I haven't seen anything for that yet but I think your assumption is pretty good. Maybe S. Potomak in the mix as well?

Meet the Newcomers: Emily Oden

The power of Oden...

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/8...mily-oden.aspx

Know you role...really like to hear this from her.

"GS: What was your USA Hockey experience like?"

"Everyone had a role; everyone knew their role. To win gold, everyone had to play that role. No one thought about themselves. It was all about lifting everyone up and playing as a team."

Comment

Gophers to Host Inaugural Minnesota Cup

Comment

Gophers new recruiting video!

https://youtu.be/H31bBU4EL44

Comment

Gophers new recruiting video!

https://youtu.be/H31bBU4EL44
                              "And every state has its problems so when we start to feel down we just look at Wisconsin."

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                "And every state has its problems so when we start to feel down we just look at Wisconsin."
                                Never underestimate the power of the (Fighting) Nurses!!
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X