This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

The 2017-2018 season is definitely over. It was NOT a disgrace, there will be a new banner to hang next fall, but in the end this season was a bit disappointing. The recent comments in the season thread all point to TIME TO MOVE ON.

We all expect that the return from a year away of Kelly Pannek and Sarah Potomak along with the strong nucleus that wore the Maroon and Gold this past season and the very promising looking incoming class will propel the Gophers back into an absolute top team, a national championship contender.

Time to stop dwelling on the past.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Yup...Full steam ahead toward 2018.

And recruiting news...2 recent Breck commits to the Gopher program in Sadie Lindsay and Emily Zumwinkle (Zoom Boom 2.0)

Iceburg on GPL posted some interesting stuff on future recruits Anne Cherkowski and Vivian Jungels.

Cherkowski...

http://championships.csshl.ca/league...26&page=103587

POE finished the tournament as the female prep champion and Cherkowski had 12 goals and 7 assists in 5 games (8 goals in one game).

Jungels...

"Edina 15u, with future Gopher Vivian Jungels, winds up an undefeated season with a state championship."

link to a video of the championship game with Proctor-Hermantown. Jungels scores a beautiful wrap around goal early in the second period.

http://webca.st/133023
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
      The 2017-2018 season is definitely over. It was NOT a disgrace, there will be a new banner to hang next fall, but in the end this season was a bit disappointing. The recent comments in the season thread all point to TIME TO MOVE ON.

We all expect that the return from a year away of Kelly Pannek and Sarah Potomak along with the strong nucleus that wore the Maroon and Gold this past season and the very promising looking incoming class will propel the Gophers back into an absolute top team, a national championship contender.

Time to stop dwelling on the past.
      I said it on a different thread a few days ago. I believe we will have scoring all set up for next year. The question in my mind is defense. The WCHA is going to be a hotly contested fight between the top 4 teams and losses to the other 3 will be very costly. I have no idea what will happen with the PRW given the dog fight I expect. It is going to be painful fun at times but MN will be in the mix for sure.

Comment

Rumor has it Frosty is a candidate for the men's job.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Lol, good one!

Comment

Ummm...No.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I understand Shannon Miller is available and looking for a coaching job where she'll feel she's getting treated equal to a men's hockey coach!

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                Ummm...No.
                He was quite the resume, obviously he can recruit, and tactically I'm sure he's solid. I'd love to see S Miller take over for him (she as a great resume as well). She was a blast to sit behind and watch her go off about nothing all the time. I kinda miss that,s she did add a little drama at times.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

He was quite the resume, obviously he can recruit, and tactically I'm sure he's solid. I'd love to see S Miller take over for him (she as a great resume as well). She was a blast to sit behind and watch her go off about nothing all the time. I kinda miss that,s she did add a little drama at times.
                  I'm sure referee Ludwig would love to see her return. He's looked so lost and forlorn out there on the ice the past two seasons at Ridder without Ms Miller to chat with over the boards whenever the Gophers played Duluth. It's almost as if he has no interest in actually watching the hockey game anymore now that she's gone. I guess Coach Crowell just hasn't been nearly as engaging or dramatic as Miller used to be.
                  Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-21-2018, 09:01 PM. Reason: Come back Shane non, come back.
                  "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Based on what we know now, assuming no red shirts and all eligible current players otherwise return, there will be no shortage of bodies vying for a roster spot in the coming season. This is especially true at the forward position.

We should first acknowledge the contributions of our four departing seniors. We thank you SO MUCH and wish you the very best!

Sidney Baldwin - Defense
                    Sidney Peters - Goaltender
                    Cara Piazza - Forward
                    Caitlin Reilly - Forward

Returning Forwards (13)
                    Lindsay Agnew - JR
                    Tianna Gunderson - SR
                    Kippin Keller - JR
                    Kelly Pannek - RS SR
                    Jackie Pieper - RS SR
                    Sarah Potomak - RS JR
                    Nicole Schammel - RS SR
                    Sophie Skarzynski* - SR
                    Sierra Smith - SR
                    Taylor Wente - SO
                    Taylor Williamson - SR
                    Alex Woken - JR
                    Grace Zumwinkle - SO

* Played forward this past season, but could very well be shifted to defense

Incoming Forwards (5)
                    Abigail Boreen - FR
                    Taylor Heise - FR
                    Emily Oden - FR
                    Amy Potomak - FR
                    Catie Skaja - FR

Returning Defense (4)
                    Emily Brown - SO
                    Olivia Knowles - SO
                    Patti Marshall - JR
                    Katie Robinson - JR

Incoming Defense (2)
                    Crystalyn Hengler - FR
                    Gracie Ostertag - FR

Returning Goaltenders (3)
                    Serena D'Angelo - JR
                    Alex Gulstene - SO
                    Emma May - SR

Summary
                    Forward: 13 + 5 = 18 (17 if No. 5 plays D)
                    Defense: 4 + 2 = 6 (7 if No. 5 plays D)
                    Goaltending: 3

Total: 27

I knew we'd have a very large contingent vying for a roster spot next season, but didn't know how large, so I did this for my own benefit as much as anything. With SO MANY returning seniors, the team will obviously be very experienced, with more scoring potential than this past season.

If you see any errors on the above please let me know. Otherwise, plenty of time to speculate on which players could possibly redshirt, which freshmen are likely to earn a spot on one of the top three lines, possible line combinations, etc.

GO GOPHERS!
                    Last edited by D2D; 03-22-2018, 01:25 AM.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      I knew we'd have a very large contingent vying for a roster spot next season, but didn't know how large, so I did this for my own benefit as much as anything. With SO MANY returning seniors, the team will obviously be very experienced, with more scoring potential than this past season.

If you see any errors on the above please let me know. Otherwise, plenty of time to speculate on which players could possibly redshirt, which freshmen are likely to earn a spot on one of the top three lines, possible line combinations, etc.

GO GOPHERS!
                      Unless something has gone on that I don't know anything about Sarah Potomak will be a RS JR next season not a RS SR.
                      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-22-2018, 12:32 AM. Reason: We need her for 2 more years.
                      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Thanks for the summary.

The team returns seven forwards who were regulars on the one of the top three lines this past season. The also return two players who will without doubt assume positions on one of the top three lines. That makes NINE which means that most likely someone will have to be special right away to break into the line up. I know that Skarzynski came into the program touted as a D but three years of service as a F and an increasingly productive F at that leads me to think that she is probably back in the mix as a F. Keller was clearly number 10 forward this past season, serving as number 9 and on one of the top lines when Williamson was out and when she herself was not injured. Any newcomber who wants to play is going to have to move past her as well as the other 9. An incoming freshman bypassing any player with at least a season of regular shifts in the WCHA is going to have to be the real deal. Past experience indicates that probably at least one of the freshmen will do that. The Gophers look to be loaded up front.

How good a team they will be next year depends on the maturation of the already on the roster D and the contribution of the two new kids. And yes, Skarzynski might be surplus at F and maybe they need her on the blue line. No matter what, very young. Very young on D is not a proven recipe for success in the WCHA.

In goal? She looked very good at times and like a frosh at other times.

Can they score enough?

I just hope they don't open with a loss to a Hockey East lower level team and follow that up later in the season with another loss to yet another weak Hockey East team. There just aren't going to be very many seasons when Minnesota can lose to Merrimack and Vermont and still make the NCAA tournament.
                        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                          Unless something has gone on that I don't know anything about Sarah Potomak will be a RS JR next season not a RS SR.
                          Your are correct, bluffrinkat. Sarah P. will be a RS JR this coming season.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                            The team returns seven forwards who were regulars on the one of the top three lines this past season. The also return two players who will without doubt assume positions on one of the top three lines. That makes NINE which means that most likely someone will have to be special right away to break into the line up.
                            If Frost doesn't run four lines out there next year, I may just give up in frustration.

Comment

I always believe you should have 5 lines and 4 sets of D + 3 Goalies. Still have competition for spots and an injury won't kill ya.

It looks like you have a surplus at forward and short 1 or 2 blueliners. Think some of the incoming FY Fs will be red shirted?
                              Last edited by joecct; 03-22-2018, 04:37 AM.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X