Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829

Thread: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

A little off subject but...

North Dakota's interest in this player probably has increased since he has the "hard nosed" hockey and the "intimidating" your opponent aspect down. He probably is pretty good at lawnmower throwing as well.

https://twitter.com/GinoRedaTSN/stat...260097/video/1
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; Yesterday at 04:38 PM.
    "For absolutely no reason we went to Canada and when we were coming back over the border they asked us if we had anything to declare...
    I said yes...War." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

North Dakota's interest in this player probably has increased since he has the "hard nosed" hockey and the "intimidating" your opponent aspect down. He probably is pretty good at lawnmower throwing as well.

He has a career in the NHL for sure.
    Reminds me of a college pitcher that beaned & hospitalized a guy standing in the on deck circle. I figured nobody would touch him but I believe he even made the show

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    Iím really disappointed in Still Eeyore's analysis of the statistical difference. A statistical difference between two dependent variables loses validity when they are not measured to the same independent variable. Even though Gopher goalies played on successive nights against the same team, anybody who watched the games know both teams played at different levels the two nights. IOW, it isnít comparing apples to apples and consequently the small statistical difference is meaningless.
    The amount of bull**** gobbledygook in that paragraph is staggering. Also, given that you can't grasp what the phrase "based upon the assumption" means, I would guess that you didn't do well in junior high school English, either.

Making America Troll Again

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

the good news is that he used a hockey stick and not an AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    The amount of bull**** gobbledygook in that paragraph is staggering. Also, given that you can't grasp what the phrase "based upon the assumption" means, I would guess that you didn't do well in junior high school English, either.
    glad I could give your life meaning, such as it is

yeah, I didn't do well in English, it did bring down my ACT score a bit, but that didn't keep me from doing well in school or my career, how’d it go for you?

Basically there are two conditions, the first game of the weekend, and the second. And as I mentioned before they are not equal. If you apply the goalies (who are the independent variables) randomly each weekend to the two conditions you will have a valid set of comparison, and you have a valid experiment with the resulting dependent variable, the number of goals allowed.

So it all hinges on whether there has been random assignment of the goalies, some may question that, but if for example he is assigning them with a methodology, then the methodology may be the reason for the difference in the dependent variable rather than a difference in the goalies.

Did I do better this time?

Does it change the answer to D2D’s question?
    Last edited by pokechecker; Today at 09:10 AM. Reason: FN with SE
    The mass hysteria in our country over Trump gets worse with each passing day, he Miss Spelled a word, get over it. The sun will still set in the west and rise again in the east.

Just a follow up on Makayla Pahl. She faced 63 shots and made 61 saves last night as Mayo lost to Northfield 2-0. Her team managed 5 shots on goals against Northfield...Yikes.

https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/gam...ferrer=4366187
    "For absolutely no reason we went to Canada and when we were coming back over the border they asked us if we had anything to declare...
    I said yes...War." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    Did I do better this time?
    Since the question you are trying to answer doesn't involve regression analysis, you aren't even on the right planet. There aren't any independent or dependent variables here. What you want is hypothesis testing, trying to determine whether or not Gulstene's and Scobee's game performances are drawn from the same distribution. It's possible to do this and include an attempt to control for the performances of the team in front of them each night. However . . .

Does it change the answer to D2D’s question?
    Not really, because there isn't a statistical answer to that question. When I told you you'd have to decide for yourself whether one goal every six games, and even that dependent upon the assumptions you make, I was trying to imply that the statistics aren't going to help us. The problem isn't that there are independent variables that don't align; it's that the sample sizes we're talking about between the two goalies are much too small to draw any firm conclusions about a difference of .08 in their save percentages. That's not to say that there is no answer to D2D's question, just that you'll have to turn somewhere other than statistical analysis to get at it. Just watching them, I think Scobee has looked like the better goalie right now. That's not a scientific answer, but it's the best that we can do. As it happens, I don't think the difference in the eye test is enough to make continuing the rotation a bad choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Looks like the preseason RoTY favorite Heise is in a tight battle with UW's Shirley for that award.
    Insert Airplane! joke here.

Making America Troll Again

Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Since the question you are trying to answer doesn't involve regression analysis, you aren't even on the right planet. There aren't any independent or dependent variables here. What you want is hypothesis testing, trying to determine whether or not Gulstene's and Scobee's game performances are drawn from the same distribution. It's possible to do this and include an attempt to control for the performances of the team in front of them each night. However . . .

Not really, because there isn't a statistical answer to that question. When I told you you'd have to decide for yourself whether one goal every six games, and even that dependent upon the assumptions you make, I was trying to imply that the statistics aren't going to help us. The problem isn't that there are independent variables that don't align; it's that the sample sizes we're talking about between the two goalies are much too small to draw any firm conclusions about a difference of .08 in their save percentages. That's not to say that there is no answer to D2D's question, just that you'll have to turn somewhere other than statistical analysis to get at it. Just watching them, I think Scobee has looked like the better goalie right now. That's not a scientific answer, but it's the best that we can do. As it happens, I don't think the difference in the eye test is enough to make continuing the rotation a bad choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Insert Airplane! joke here.
    you quoted the wrong post, I fixed it for you
    Last edited by pokechecker; Today at 02:10 PM. Reason: that's why I make the big money and you don't
    The mass hysteria in our country over Trump gets worse with each passing day, he Miss Spelled a word, get over it. The sun will still set in the west and rise again in the east.

Thread Information