Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 284

Thread: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

  1. #101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,418

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
    • The next is Pannek, centering a gritty line between Schammel and Oden.
    I don't think there's any question that Kelly Pannek will be centering the 1st line, and I'd be very surprised if Frosty doesn't reunite her with Sarah Potomak. They've obviously proven that they work very well together, with Kelly being such a good passer and Sarah knowing how to bury those set-ups.

    And with her shot I wouldn't be at all surprised if Frosty decides to put Grace Z on the other wing. If so, with the experience gained in her freshman season, she could very well double her goal production from the 17 she scored in 2017-18. That would be some 1st line.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  2. #102
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    I am a high end hockey coach and.....
    .....and the rest of your post was lost to my belly laughs. Thanks so much! I needed a good hearty laugh like that. Old men like you are a joke. Never start a post like that if you want to be taken seriously. What a total loser! Oh my tummy hurts now! Lmfao!

  3. #103
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,501

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Never start a post like that if you want to be taken seriously.
    That was the point. He's not a hockey coach, and he wasn't trying to be taken seriously. Verstehen?
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  4. #104
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dayton's Bluff
    Posts
    681

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
    One of the things I hate about getting older is how fast the seasons fly by. It seems like spring and summer only lasted a few minutes and here it is winter again. So, rather than ponder the fractal geometry of the trees visible outside in today’s snowstorm...

    Like I said, a better pastime than fractals but not as good as sitting outside at a baseball game.
    You can see trees? We haven't been able to see out of our windows for two days. Neils Fabian Helge von Koch observed a similar snowstorm in the early 1900's in Stockholm. It's funny what people will come up with when they're bored and there's no more college hockey to watch.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-14-2018 at 07:07 PM. Reason: It does explain how curling was invented though.
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

  5. #105
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dayton's Bluff
    Posts
    681

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    I am a high end hockey coach and you guys are ****ing idiots. They haven't even had any practices yet. What do you dumbasses know anyways? How dare you project potential lines for next season in April while the snow hasn't even gone yet?
    (I need to take a break from posting but this sucked me in, just like it did on the BC thread)
    Well, that's nice and thank you for your coaching. Now we have both a high end and a rear end hockey coach posting here.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-14-2018 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Diversity is our strength.
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

  6. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    271

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    I don't think there's any question that Kelly Pannek will be centering the 1st line, and I'd be very surprised if Frosty doesn't reunite her with Sarah Potomak. They've obviously proven that they work very well together, with Kelly being such a good passer and Sarah knowing how to bury those set-ups.

    And with her shot I wouldn't be at all surprised if Frosty decides to put Grace Z on the other wing. If so, with the experience gained in her freshman season, she could very well double her goal production from the 17 she scored in 2017-18. That would be some 1st line.
    Cannot argue with any of this, although I was listing the centers alphabetically and not assigning any line order. The one thing I was trying to do was minimize the number of lines with two or more freshmen. Don't remember which coach said the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores, but I rarely have questioned the concept.
    I do like the idea of Sarah, Kelly, and Grace as our top line.

  7. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,202

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    It seems as though the "lines" between serious and sarcastic posting in this thread have blurred just a bit.

    I don't think we will see Boston Hockey post in this thread...At least I hope not.

    As far as next season goes...Just find someone (Pannek) to feed the puck to Zoom Boom. And if the goalies could stop the puck that would be great too.

  8. #108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dayton's Bluff
    Posts
    681

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    It seems as though the "lines" between serious and sarcastic posting in this thread have blurred just a bit.

    I don't think we will see Boston Hockey post in this thread...At least I hope not.

    As far as next season goes...Just find someone (Pannek) to feed the puck to Zoom Boom. And if the goalies could stop the puck that would be great too.
    A wink has been added to my previous attempt at sarcasm. And as far as the Boston Hockey not quite so high end coach, yes, having one over the top poster poking others with a sharp stick is probably more than enough already in the Gopher thread.

    Pannek and Potomac reunited and with Zoom Boom sounds really good!
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-14-2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: What about a speed line though?
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

  9. #109
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,501

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Pannek and Potomac reunited and with Zoom Boom sounds really good!
    In most years, that would be a great top line. I've watched Amy P. play less than one game in person, but that was enough to convince me that she is a definite first-line player. Also, Pannek and S. Potomak were most effective when with a healthy Cameranesi. Dani and Grace are far different kind of players. Both can finish, one by picking corners upstairs, the other mainly by blasting holes through people. Dani was someone who could be very effective away from the puck, whether playing with Terry, Brandt, or Pannek, her three primary centers at UM. Grace is more used to keeping the puck on her stick. I love the thought of Pannek w/ her on the PP, but it doesn't seem like she'll be the best fit if Sarah is on the other wing.

    I do like Wente and Zum together. There is something to be said to playing with people with whom you are comfortable, and they clearly click fairly well.

    Woken seems like a key among the returning players to me. Both she and Agnew arrived with a lot of promise, and neither quite got there over her first two years. Agnew just never seemed like the best fit for what UM wants to do, skate fast and put pressure on the puck all over the ice. Woken, OTOH, skates as fast as anyone we have, and should be able to thrive in such a system. Now that she'll be well removed from her injury, I could see her game taking a big jump with the right line.

    There should be more than one correct solution, and I'd be surprised if we don't see the two Potomaks playing together at some point.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    381

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post

    I knew we'd have a very large contingent vying for a roster spot next season, but didn't know how large, so I did this for my own benefit as much as anything.

    GO GOPHERS!
    It's cool that if 8 forwards get injured this year you guys can still roll three lines - even after the recent BC transfer.

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,202

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by EastFan1 View Post
    It's cool that if 8 forwards get injured this year you guys can still roll three lines - even after the recent BC transfer.

    It's always good to have contingency plans in place. It's where having the white van with the hand painted "free skates" sign broadcasting subliminal Gopher recruiting messages pays off.

  12. #112
    Making America Troll Again
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    I'm a pathetic troll
    Posts
    1,961

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

    As far as next season goes...Just find someone (Pannek) to feed the puck to Zoom Boom.
    Sounds like a good plan to me, I'd like to see her (Grace) get 9 quality shots every game.
    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    ... I'd be surprised if we don't see the two Potomaks playing together at some point.
    Seems to me that given they have played together (and grown up together) putting the two Potomaks together needs to be at least tried to see what they can do.

    D Corp:
    Marshall with Beyonce
    Brown with Ostertag
    Robinson with Hengler
    I’m not seeing Skarzynski playing D unless someone gets hurt, despite the abundance of forwards.
    In fact, Skarzynski center third line with Williamson & Woken? I like three experienced forwards against possibly inexperienced players. A lot of speed and hustle. They could end up scoring a lot similar to Davis-Bona-Schipper.
    Pannek, Zumwinkle and Oden. Two shooters with somebody that can set them up. I would also think that with the way Grace skates thru the Offensive zone, there is bound to be an opening that KP takes advantage of (similar to when she played with Schipper & Piazza).
    Then the Potomaks with Heise.
    But where does that leave Wente? And Shammel? And …
    skate 4 lines?
    Last edited by pokechecker; 04-16-2018 at 07:58 AM. Reason: doing my best to alleviate the fan forum hysteria
    Rather than call her Pocahontas, she should be called “Two Percent” given she is at best less than 2% Native American

  13. #113
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,418

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  14. #114
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,202

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Ramsey mentioned #9 as a player she enjoyed watching play after she graduated. Interesting that Rachel Bona also mentioned #9 when asked that question last month...

  15. #115
    Great and powerful wizard
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not in Kansas anymore.
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    *bump*
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

  16. #116
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,501

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    *bump*
    I agree. It is time for Gopher talk to look to the future rather than the past.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  17. #117

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,449
    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I agree. It is time for Gopher talk to look to the future rather than the past.
    After all, their future is ahead of them.

  18. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,881

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    After all, their future is ahead of them.
    It is true, Things are more like they are today than they ever have been

  19. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,202

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    From an article on letsplayhockey.com entitled " The no. 1 weakest skill in girls' hockey players"

    "If you had to guess what the No. 1 weakest skill is of girls’ hockey players, what would it be? Last summer, I was sitting in a classroom alongside elite level coaches from all over Canada, listening to a presentation given by a national expert in skill development of female players. One of the coaches asked the presenter what he thought was the single biggest skill deficiency in female players. And I thought to myself, it’s got to be shooting, or the mental game, or the ability to see and use open ice. But that’s not what he said. Without hesitation, he said “giving and receiving passes.”

    Definitely, at times, can be a frustrating experience watching this play out with the Gopher women's team trying to pass and receive the puck...
    "For absolutely no reason we went to Canada and when we were coming back over the border they asked us if we had anything to declare...
    I said yes...War." Steven Wright

  20. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    From an article on letsplayhockey.com entitled " The no. 1 weakest skill in girls' hockey players"

    "If you had to guess what the No. 1 weakest skill is of girls’ hockey players, what would it be? Last summer, I was sitting in a classroom alongside elite level coaches from all over Canada, listening to a presentation given by a national expert in skill development of female players. One of the coaches asked the presenter what he thought was the single biggest skill deficiency in female players. And I thought to myself, it’s got to be shooting, or the mental game, or the ability to see and use open ice. But that’s not what he said. Without hesitation, he said “giving and receiving passes.”

    Definitely, at times, can be a frustrating experience watching this play out with the Gopher women's team trying to pass and receive the puck...
    I would completely disagree. Shooting the puck

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •