Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 412

Thread: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

  1. #361
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    223

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Looking at the wreckage from across the country on the scoreboard, I guess coming away with two wins is a successful weekend, but this was another really poor effort bailed out by a miracle shot. Five Hole Frenzy is right about the breakout, except that it's not a new problem. The Gophers have been predictable on this for years. At even a hint of pressure, they drop the puck back behind the net and give the other team a chance to set up their forecheck. At some point, they need to change things up.

    The passing is back to last year's level. It looked even worse today, because the puck was really sticking to the ice, but there are still too many times when they refuse to see that an opposing player is standing right in the lane they proceed to pass the puck through. Knowles did that today, which led to Bemidji's breakaway goal.

    There was a lot of visible frustration on the part of the Minnesota players this weekend. They have two weeks to figure out how to channel that in productive ways.

  2. #362
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,277

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Looking at the wreckage from across the country on the scoreboard, I guess coming away with two wins is a successful weekend, but this was another really poor effort bailed out by a miracle shot. Five Hole Frenzy is right about the breakout, except that it's not a new problem. The Gophers have been predictable on this for years. At even a hint of pressure, they drop the puck back behind the net and give the other team a chance to set up their forecheck. At some point, they need to change things up.

    The passing is back to last year's level. It looked even worse today, because the puck was really sticking to the ice, but there are still too many times when they refuse to see that an opposing player is standing right in the lane they proceed to pass the puck through. Knowles did that today, which led to Bemidji's breakaway goal.

    There was a lot of visible frustration on the part of the Minnesota players this weekend. They have two weeks to figure out how to channel that in productive ways.
    We talked about it in the preseason. Get the puck to Zoom Boom. Turns out to be the difference today.
    "For absolutely no reason we went to Canada and when we were coming back over the border they asked us if we had anything to declare...
    I said yes...War." Steven Wright

  3. #363
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,546

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    We talked about it in the preseason. Get the puck to Zoom Boom. Turns out to be the difference today.
    And better things would happen when she can blister one from a better angle, as was the case on her goal today. One criticism I have is when they feed her the puck on the power play for the one-timer blast she's at too wide of an angle to have a decent chance of beating the goalie, no matter how hard her shot may be. They need to work the puck around faster - and not all around the perimeter - until she can get open for a more direct angle. If the play is not there then someone else should be open for a better opportunity from close-in range.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  4. #364
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,277

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    And better things would happen when she can blister one from a better angle, as was the case on her goal today. One criticism I have is when they feed her the puck on the power play for the one-timer blast she's at too wide of an angle to have a decent chance of beating the goalie, no matter how hard her shot may be. They need to work the puck around faster - and not all around the perimeter - until she can get open for a more direct angle. If the play is not there then someone else should be open for a better opportunity from close-in range.
    To your point...This year, the Gopher's power play is pretty disappointing by their normal standards. And likewise the penalty kill. Too much talent to be where both of those are ranked currently.
    "For absolutely no reason we went to Canada and when we were coming back over the border they asked us if we had anything to declare...
    I said yes...War." Steven Wright

  5. #365
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,908

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    And better things would happen when she can blister one from a better angle, as was the case on her goal today. One criticism I have is when they feed her the puck on the power play for the one-timer blast she's at too wide of an angle to have a decent chance of beating the goalie, no matter how hard her shot may be. They need to work the puck around faster - and not all around the perimeter - until she can get open for a more direct angle. If the play is not there then someone else should be open for a better opportunity from close-in range.
    I assume they are looking for a redirect

  6. #366
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,536

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    I assume they are looking for a redirect
    I think redirecting a onetimer by 12 would be easier said than done, unless it just happens to hit you (not recommended). She has scored a few goals on those already in her career, so I don't agree with D2D that it is as low a percentage play as he thinks. If nothing else, the D isn't likely to block it and the goalie is going to have a hard time controlling the rebound, so if she puts it on frame, it is a nice opening volley. It is easier for the D to block it if she is on top of the umbrella, although early in the game, it may dissuade people from wanting to block so many shots. But if it gets blocked from the top, it could lead to a scoring chance for the other team, if the shot blocker is still upright.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  7. #367
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dayton's Bluff
    Posts
    694

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    To your point...This year, the Gopher's power play is pretty disappointing by their normal standards. And likewise the penalty kill. Too much talent to be where both of those are ranked currently.
    The Gophers have never had a season where they converted at a lesser rate than their opponents on the power play. They are currently at .194 to their opponents .214. The good news is that both rates are heading in the right direction. They had a .148 rate to their opponents .294 on October 23rd. A Gopher teams all time low was surprisingly in 2006 at .174, but they still held their opponents to the lesser rate of .149.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 11-04-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: The 2006 team did make it to the championship game though. Don't remember how the final game came out. Okay, half fake news.
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

  8. #368
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,908

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I think redirecting a onetimer by 12 would be easier said than done, unless it just happens to hit you (not recommended). She has scored a few goals on those already in her career, so I don't agree with D2D that it is as low a percentage play as he thinks. If nothing else, the D isn't likely to block it and the goalie is going to have a hard time controlling the rebound, so if she puts it on frame, it is a nice opening volley. It is easier for the D to block it if she is on top of the umbrella, although early in the game, it may dissuade people from wanting to block so many shots. But if it gets blocked from the top, it could lead to a scoring chance for the other team, if the shot blocker is still upright.
    Yeah, that works too - redirect or rebound. Chaos creates goals

  9. #369
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,546

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I think redirecting a onetimer by 12 would be easier said than done, unless it just happens to hit you (not recommended). She has scored a few goals on those already in her career, so I don't agree with D2D that it is as low a percentage play as he thinks. If nothing else, the D isn't likely to block it and the goalie is going to have a hard time controlling the rebound, so if she puts it on frame, it is a nice opening volley. It is easier for the D to block it if she is on top of the umbrella, although early in the game, it may dissuade people from wanting to block so many shots. But if it gets blocked from the top, it could lead to a scoring chance for the other team, if the shot blocker is still upright.
    I see your point but her winning power play goal on Saturday did not come from her usual stationary far left wing position, and it obviously was not blocked! To avoid having shots blocked from the point on the PP they need to move the puck quicker to get their opponent's box moving constantly while being aware of their positioning and to NOT take the shot when there is little space between the shot-taker and the opposing forward. What I've noticed is that Gophers' opponents (including their goalies, and pretty much everyone in the building) knows what's coming, and it's made the Gopher power play too one-dimensional. And when shooting from such a wide angle it's harder for the other two forwards to set a screen and even harder than normal to get a tip on one of her blasts. Plus, most of the rebounds will come back, not directly in front of the goal but back to that same side.

    As bluffrinkrat notes our PP conversion rate is very low compared to normal at .194. Obviously that's not ideal or even good, so I do think it's time to make some adjustments. Despite dozens of one-timer attempts from her usual spot Saturday's PP goal was her first of the year, and it didn't come from that usual spot.

    Please also note that in no way am I criticizing #12, who leads the team in goals (6) and has otherwise been terrific all over the ice. This is more a case of changing things up a bit to make her, and the overall power play, more effective than what we've seen thus far.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  10. #370
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,536

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    I would contend that a big reason why the PP conversion numbers are as low as they are is that the other unit with Pannek and the Potomaks has struggled as well, and in most of the games that I've seen, it had more than half of the PP minutes. Anyway, Frost did say that it was deliberate to move #12 to the other side to create shooting opportunities for her; obviously, a one-time shot isn't an option from the right side.

  11. #371
    Making America Troll Again
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    I'm a pathetic troll
    Posts
    1,996

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    When a team or player stinks up the rink they hear about it, so it’s only fair when the fans stink up the rink they hear about it too.

    Literally, fans stunk up the place. My guess is with the change in weather people dug out their cold weather gear but unfortunately hadn’t cleaned it since last winter. The worst was section 12, but maybe the smell in 14 was partially masked by the pizza stand. I sought refuge on the opposite side of the rink, which isn’t exactly free of strange scents given that’s where the concession stands are (boiled brat anyone?). Even the men’s room smelled better.
    Ah!! The sweet smell of urinal bisquits!
    we live in an era where a video clearly shows Acosta pushing the interns arm, yet the media can get away with claiming it is fake because, well, that's what many want to hear

  12. #372
    Making America Troll Again
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    I'm a pathetic troll
    Posts
    1,996

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

    Oh and it's probably too much to ask to not get out-adjusted by the opposition coaching staff on Saturday.

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Ya know, if the opposition changes its forecheck for the second game of the series it's ok for you to make adjustments accordingly.
    You are missing the master plan, it is intentional to not make adjustments in order to make make sure the second game is closer or even have to come from behind, they don't want to be stuck in a situation like BC always beating up cupcakes and then when you play teams that are as good as you and have no experience in those situations.

    It is all part of the Master Plan, believe it!
    we live in an era where a video clearly shows Acosta pushing the interns arm, yet the media can get away with claiming it is fake because, well, that's what many want to hear

  13. #373
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,277

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    It is all part of the Master Plan
    Admittedly, the sarcasm was working overtime this weekend. BTW, you wouldn't happen to know if that plan is funded by George Soros, would you?

    Also I'll check with Ma to see if she cleaned my jacket before I wore it to the game. She did make sure I soaked in the tub until my fingers wrinkled, so I'm pretty sure I didn't stink...
    "For absolutely no reason we went to Canada and when we were coming back over the border they asked us if we had anything to declare...
    I said yes...War." Steven Wright

  14. #374
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dayton's Bluff
    Posts
    694

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    When a team or player stinks up the rink they hear about it, so it’s only fair when the fans stink up the rink they hear about it too.

    Literally, fans stunk up the place. My guess is with the change in weather people dug out their cold weather gear but unfortunately hadn’t cleaned it since last winter. The worst was section 12, but maybe the smell in 14 was partially masked by the pizza stand. I sought refuge on the opposite side of the rink, which isn’t exactly free of strange scents given that’s where the concession stands are (boiled brat anyone?). Even the men’s room smelled better.
    Ah!! The sweet smell of urinal bisquits!
    We've sat in section 13 for 16 years or so and have never noticed an odor emanating from either section next to us. No nose plugs needed, although we are getting a lot older and our olfactories may not be functioning as well as in year's past. A few years ago we did wonder if we should bring earplugs to the game when a now defunct visiting team's fans would descend on Ridder and stand right behind us screaming their lungs out.

    As far as the food goes, the pizza is much better now since our two favorite pizza servers began using the new bread formula. We do miss Drew's popcorn this year and I have calculated that the Incredible Shrinking Not So Hot Chocolate Cup will completely disappear in two years (more to follow).
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 11-05-2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: There's a "Certified Compostable" cup?
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

  15. #375
    Making America Troll Again
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    I'm a pathetic troll
    Posts
    1,996

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Admittedly, the sarcasm was working overtime this weekend. BTW, you wouldn't happen to know if that plan is funded by George Soros, would you?

    Also I'll check with Ma to see if she cleaned my jacket before I wore it to the game. She did make sure I soaked in the tub until my fingers wrinkled, so I'm pretty sure I didn't stink...
    no, it is funded by PJ Fleck's wife who knows he isn't worth it

    rather than check with your ma to see if she cleaned your jacket, check hers, it was a stale perfume odor

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    And better things would happen when she can blister one from a better angle, as was the case on her goal today. One criticism I have is when they feed her the puck on the power play for the one-timer blast she's at too wide of an angle to have a decent chance of beating the goalie, no matter how hard her shot may be. They need to work the puck around faster - and not all around the perimeter - until she can get open for a more direct angle. If the play is not there then someone else should be open for a better opportunity from close-in range.
    I guess I should have quoted an earlier thread talking about the OSU game

    … to their credit in the Sat OSU game they executed what they were told to do … the center got the puck to her not just once, but on two faceoffs, and she put it on goal both times. It would be easy to Monday morning QB the coaches for this strategy, … only because it failed.

    A few of you have criticized BC coaches for not changing in their thread. Having only seen them play in the NCAA tournament I’m not so sure that is a fair criticism. Coaches tend to stick with what got them there, only one team can win. The video posted of Brandt feeding Potomak in the 2016 final could just as easily be used to criticize the present Gophers, it is one of the few times over the last three years that a Gopher forward has been in proper position to receive the fruits of one of her team mates labor. Usually there is a pack of Gophers along the boards but nobody is in position to get a good shot on goal.

    That’s one of the things I noticed immediately about Skaja that got me excited about her play when I first saw her, arriving at the net at the right time. This is something that is learned over time until it is automatic. The Gophers players spent most of their HS years with the puck on their stick, I’m sure it’s true of her too, but what you do when the puck isn’t on your stick is important too.
    Last edited by pokechecker; 11-06-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: $7 for a frozen pizza you can get for a buck at the store, mmmmm
    we live in an era where a video clearly shows Acosta pushing the interns arm, yet the media can get away with claiming it is fake because, well, that's what many want to hear

  16. #376
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,546

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    … to their credit in the Sat OSU game they executed what they were told to do … the center got the puck to her not just once, but on two faceoffs, and she put it on goal both times. It would be easy to Monday morning QB the coaches for this strategy, … only because it failed.
    My point was that the play has failed dozens of times all season - hasn't worked once! Not blaming the players for carrying out instructions.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  17. #377
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,536

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    My point was that the play has failed dozens of times all season - hasn't worked once!
    I like that play a lot more than the one where someone stands there holding the puck and not moving it. In fact, I'm okay with any play that is designed to get #12 a shot on her forehand. It might "fail" a number of times, but then there will be a weekend where it will click multiple times.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  18. #378
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,277

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    A few of you have criticized BC coaches for not changing in their thread. Having only seen them play in the NCAA tournament Iím not so sure that is a fair criticism. Coaches tend to stick with what got them there, only one team can win. The video posted of Brandt feeding Potomak in the 2016 final could just as easily be used to criticize the present Gophers, it is one of the few times over the last three years that a Gopher forward has been in proper position to receive the fruits of one of her team mates labor. Usually there is a pack of Gophers along the boards but nobody is in position to get a good shot on goal.
    You're kinda acting like HE33 here where you qualify that you've only seen bc play in the NCAA tournament but you don't think it's fair to criticize the systems that they use. How would you know how they play during the regular season if you haven't "seen" them?

    The title game video wasn't posted to just highlight what Brandt and Potomak did, which was great on their part, it was to highlight what the bc forwards did not do. No support for Keller or any coverage of the slot where Potomak
    was. Their developed habits were pretty obvious and still are if you you care to observe them. They wouldn't normally ever have to worry about Keller or any of their defensemen losing the puck because most of the teams they play aren't capable of putting them under that much duress.

    Really good example of the confidence (or overconfidence, if you will) they have in their offensive abilities and not giving thought to defense was their penalty kill in the UConn game. Multiple times when UConn was trying to bring the puck out of their own end on the power play, bc had all 4 players in the UConn zone...Think about that...Both bc defensemen inside the UConn blue line with both forwards aggressively forechecking.

    Don't take my word for it, bc streams their home games on ESPN3 for free (if you have an ESPN login which is easy enough to get and you get ESPN though your TV provider) so you could see them play every once in awhile if you cared to.
    "For absolutely no reason we went to Canada and when we were coming back over the border they asked us if we had anything to declare...
    I said yes...War." Steven Wright

  19. #379
    Making America Troll Again
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    I'm a pathetic troll
    Posts
    1,996

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    And better things would happen when she can blister one from a better angle, as was the case on her goal today. One criticism I have is when they feed her the puck on the power play for the one-timer blast she's at too wide of an angle to have a decent chance of beating the goalie, no matter how hard her shot may be. They need to work the puck around faster - and not all around the perimeter - until she can get open for a more direct angle. If the play is not there then someone else should be open for a better opportunity from close-in range.
    Alex Ovechkin dissagees:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oclxRmKXpY
    I am sure he has scored many goals from the slot area, but as this video shows, he is usually near the dot when he unleashes his blast.
    My guess is that they ran the play as they did against OSU because that is how they felt they had the best chance of executing the play, better to get a shot off, than not at all, and as ARM says, anytime you can unleash 12, it's a good thing
    it's not like the other team wasn't there

    the real criticism should be that it got to that point, they had outshot and outplayed them, it shouldn't have come to that
    we live in an era where a video clearly shows Acosta pushing the interns arm, yet the media can get away with claiming it is fake because, well, that's what many want to hear

  20. #380
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,546

    Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

    Really looking forward to seeing this impressive young lady manning the blue line for the Maroon and Gold next year. Extremely mature for her age, and a leading candidate to win this season's Minnesota Ms. Hockey Award.

    BORN TO BE A HOCKEY PLAYER
    https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_article/show/966816
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •