X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
    … to their credit in the Sat OSU game they executed what they were told to do … the center got the puck to her not just once, but on two faceoffs, and she put it on goal both times. It would be easy to Monday morning QB the coaches for this strategy, … only because it failed.
    My point was that the play has failed dozens of times all season - hasn't worked once! Not blaming the players for carrying out instructions.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      My point was that the play has failed dozens of times all season - hasn't worked once!
      I like that play a lot more than the one where someone stands there holding the puck and not moving it. In fact, I'm okay with any play that is designed to get #12 a shot on her forehand. It might "fail" a number of times, but then there will be a weekend where it will click multiple times.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
        A few of you have criticized BC coaches for not changing in their thread. Having only seen them play in the NCAA tournament I’m not so sure that is a fair criticism. Coaches tend to stick with what got them there, only one team can win. The video posted of Brandt feeding Potomak in the 2016 final could just as easily be used to criticize the present Gophers, it is one of the few times over the last three years that a Gopher forward has been in proper position to receive the fruits of one of her team mates labor. Usually there is a pack of Gophers along the boards but nobody is in position to get a good shot on goal.
        You're kinda acting like HE33 here where you qualify that you've only seen bc play in the NCAA tournament but you don't think it's fair to criticize the systems that they use. How would you know how they play during the regular season if you haven't "seen" them?

The title game video wasn't posted to just highlight what Brandt and Potomak did, which was great on their part, it was to highlight what the bc forwards did not do. No support for Keller or any coverage of the slot where Potomak
        was. Their developed habits were pretty obvious and still are if you you care to observe them. They wouldn't normally ever have to worry about Keller or any of their defensemen losing the puck because most of the teams they play aren't capable of putting them under that much duress.

Really good example of the confidence (or overconfidence, if you will) they have in their offensive abilities and not giving thought to defense was their penalty kill in the UConn game. Multiple times when UConn was trying to bring the puck out of their own end on the power play, bc had all 4 players in the UConn zone...Think about that...Both bc defensemen inside the UConn blue line with both forwards aggressively forechecking.

Don't take my word for it, bc streams their home games on ESPN3 for free (if you have an ESPN login which is easy enough to get and you get ESPN though your TV provider) so you could see them play every once in awhile if you cared to.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

And better things would happen when she can blister one from a better angle, as was the case on her goal today. One criticism I have is when they feed her the puck on the power play for the one-timer blast she's at too wide of an angle to have a decent chance of beating the goalie, no matter how hard her shot may be. They need to work the puck around faster - and not all around the perimeter - until she can get open for a more direct angle. If the play is not there then someone else should be open for a better opportunity from close-in range.
          Alex Ovechkin dissagees:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oclxRmKXpY
          I am sure he has scored many goals from the slot area, but as this video shows, he is usually near the dot when he unleashes his blast.
          My guess is that they ran the play as they did against OSU because that is how they felt they had the best chance of executing the play, better to get a shot off, than not at all, and as ARM says, anytime you can unleash 12, it's a good thing
          it's not like the other team wasn't there

the real criticism should be that it got to that point, they had outshot and outplayed them, it shouldn't have come to that

Comment

Really looking forward to seeing this impressive young lady manning the blue line for the Maroon and Gold next year. Extremely mature for her age, and a leading candidate to win this season's Minnesota Ms. Hockey Award.

BORN TO BE A HOCKEY PLAYER
            https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_article/show/966816

Comment

2018-19 American Family Insurance ALL-USA Preseason Girls Hockey Team
              https://usatodayhss.com/2018/2018-19...lideIdslide-14

Five future Gophers selected:

G Makayla Paul (Rochester Mayo)
              D Madeline Wethington (Blake)
              D Maggie Nicholson (Minnetonka)
              F Sydney Shearen (White Bear Lake)
              F Addie Burton (Blake)

Congrats girls, and have a great season!

Comment

NLI signings announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Small class of 3 coming in when they have 7 seniors graduating...Must be that new math.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                    Small class of 3 coming in when they have 7 seniors graduating...Must be that new math.
                    Mark Johnson would fill in with a couple more goalies.

Comment

Quality > Quantity ?

A little early to speculate on next year, and I never learned that new math, but don't we have 8 seniors graduating?

1. Tianna Gunderson
                      2. Sophie Skarzynski
                      3. Taylor Williamson
                      4. Jackie Pieper
                      5. Sierra Smith
                      6. Kelly Pannek
                      7. Nicole Schammel
                      8. Emma May

That would leave us with 19 returning (assuming they all do) +3 new = 22 rostered players in 2019-20. And 4 of the 22 would be goaltenders (Gulstene, Scobee, D'Angelo + Paul), so 18 skaters which does seem more than a little light (4 forward lines plus 6 D leaves little room for injuries and other issues that could crop up).

OK, back to this weekend, this season: a "home and home" vs. St. Cloud State, the outcome of which is all the team can control right now.

Comment

and I never learned that new math, but don't we have 8 seniors graduating?

1. Tianna Gunderson
                        2. Sophie Skarzynski
                        3. Taylor Williamson
                        4. Jackie Pieper
                        5. Sierra Smith
                        6. Kelly Pannek
                        7. Nicole Schammel
                        8. Emma May
                        Yes, I missed Jackie Pieper. On the other hand, they would have room to compete with the fighting nurses for transfers. They could send the white van with the hand painted free skates sign around to other campuses broadcasting subliminal "come to Minnesota" messages.

Comment

Eight graduating, but only 3 scholarships involved, I think (Sophie, Taylor and Kelly).

There's also the possibility of someone taking a redshirt. I'd like to see D'Angelo come back for an extra year, which would give us three goalies for 2020, but I have no idea how redshirting impacts scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                            Eight graduating, but only 3 scholarships involved, I think (Sophie, Taylor and Kelly).
                            Schammel?

Comment

Schammel?
                              Possibly, when Agnew left. There's only 18 scholarships among 27 players. Assuming (without any basis, unfortunately) that 12 players are getting full or close to full rides, that leaves 6 scholarships to split among the remaining 15 players. I think that the transfers are operating under the same basis as the walk-ons: scholarship help only under special circumstances.

Comment

I would think that they would make an effort to get Schammel some scholarship money along the way, given she has been a top-two-lines type player here.

Comment

Working...
                                X