This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    One minute of inspired hockey, and nineteen minutes of a no effort horror show leaves Minnesota down 3-2 after a period.
    Give BSU. Some credit. They where really crushing UM in their zone and the Gophers were unable to break out. The beavers played a very intense game and stiffeled UM.

The good news was the Gophers did not stay frustrated. They battled back for the win

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      Well it's those high-risk plays that are really burning the Gophers don't you know
      We're you waiting here all afternoon for the chance to try to 'get even'? That's just sad.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        We're you waiting here all afternoon for the chance to try to 'get even'? That's just sad.
        The bc thread was invaded by some of us mid-western elitists so I will cut him some slack. Besides, he did get a little "don't cha know" dig in there...
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
          Give BSU. Some credit. They where really crushing UM in their zone and the Gophers were unable to break out. The beavers played a very intense game and stiffeled UM.

The good news was the Gophers did not stay frustrated. They battled back for the win
          Bemidji played well, but the Gophers also struggled at doing things like making simple, uncontested passes to a defenseman at the point, making sure that there was a Gopher within 30 feet of where they were passing, hustling to get to loose pucks, and having some awareness of where opposing players were.

They looked better in the second and third periods, but still well short of great. I think Skarzynski was poorly served bouncing back and forth from forward to defense for three years, because she's really struggling at times.

The Skaja/Williamson/Woken line was outstanding over the last two periods. That's been true of whoever plays with Williamson for several weeks now. Woken looks better, and faster, in her second season removed from blowing out her knee. It was nice to see them score.

Amy Potomak can do jaw dropping things with the puck. Now she needs to start making it go into the net.

Comment

• Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            I don't even know what this means. I clicked on the thread, typed a message, and hit post
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              Well it's those high-risk plays that are really burning the Gophers don't you know
              No, not high-risk plays. Just stupid, bad ones, for which I can't find any justification.

When we say BC is making high-risk plays, it is because the D pinch all of the time. They even "pinch" in the center of the ice. Last D back? Gamble to keep the puck in the zone anyway. Those are risk/reward plays. Some of us don't think the reward justifies the risk all of the time, but we can at least understand why the Eagles are making those plays. If you don't see what we are describing and don't think it can be a problem down the road, no worries. Go get started on your midseason highlight video.

Last night, a Gopher was under forecheck pressure, and carried the puck into her own slot, lost the puck, and kept skating away. What? Nice shot by DeGeorge, but we did everything but tee it up in advance of that shot. Second goal, UM gave up a 3-on-2, the backchecker caught up with the free player, but then didn't do anything to disrupt the shot that went the same place the first goal did. It would be nice if your goalie stopped one of those, but I get that they are difficult saves.

Three years ago, if you got behind BSU 2-0, the game was over. Even one goal down was very, very tough. Luckily for the Gophers, Mowat wasn't in the crease last night, so they could come back from two down, even if they immediately fell behind again before the period ended.

Yay, the Gophers won. But so far, this team is much less than the sum of its parts, and I'm not too impressed by what the coaches have done. Several people are getting worse, not better. The special teams sputter much more than we are accustomed to seeing. I get that there are a lot of new people involved and it is still early.

The good news? I like the Wente line, and am glad that they didn't mess with that last night. Woken has ... (I will avoid the obvious, bad pun) ... bounced back from the injury her first year and looks like the player she promised to be during her prep career. Heise shows a ton of potential, and last night was the first time that I thought she looked to be with a line that might be special.

Maybe when 19 and 26 return, they skate with 20 and let 16 stay with 9 and 21. That would leave 3 and 7 with likely either 22 or 8 as the fourth line, but it would be a pretty dependable fourth. Who knows. I'm sure it will change a couple dozen more times between now and tourney time.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                I'm sure it will change a couple dozen more times between now and tourney time.
                The good news is that with this bunch of talented forwards the coaches have so many options. They are truly four lines deep, with no really poor combinations, and that is a very nice "problem" to have. But having two of their very best forwards out this weekend for Four Nations does force the coaching staff to make some changes, and as fans we can only hope that (a) we still have enough firepower to win handily, and (b) the coaches learn who works best with whom in terms of line chemistry for when 19 and 26 return. Just my opinion, but I think a change is needed for that line and I like your thought of putting the "Wokenator" on that right wing. That would leave us with:

26-19-20
                25-28-12
                21- 9- 16
                7 - 3 - ? (one of 8, 22 or 4)
                Note: I really struggle with not putting 7 and 3 on one of the top 3 lines - both clearly deserve their fair share of ice time.

We'll see what the coaches decide to do next week when the whole team is back together...hard to go too wrong but so far I don't think we've seen what the ideal can look like. I also hope that the change of scenery will benefit #19 as so far we have not seen her at her best, IMO.

But first things first: come out MUCH STRONGER in today's first period, and LEAVE NO DOUBT!
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

ARM, the answer we were looking for was "we don't get away with it because we don't play in Hockey East."

Geez dude give a chuckle once in a while

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                    ARM, the answer we were looking for was "we don't get away with it because we don't play in Hockey East."
                    I'm too scared of that East Fan person to ever say that.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      I'm too scared of that East Fan person to ever say that.
                      HA you never know what stat you'll get thrown back! I for one am here for it.

Comment

"Hear from members of the Gopher Women's Hockey team as they reflect on the season so far and learn more about what goes on behind the scenes!"

https://youtu.be/YmOjYLCWo0A

(they are not lacking in self-confidence, that's for sure )
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

If you are going to turn it over, go big and turn it over right in the slot...

Comment

If your going to turn it over, go big and turn it over at center ice with no one back...

Oh and it's probably too much to ask to not get out-adjusted by the opposition coaching staff on Saturday.
                            Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 11-03-2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

It's why she's called zoom BOOM...

Comment

Ya know, if the opposition changes its forecheck for the second game of the series it's ok for you to make adjustments accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                                X