X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    I don't think there's any question that Kelly Pannek will be centering the 1st line, and I'd be very surprised if Frosty doesn't reunite her with Sarah Potomak. They've obviously proven that they work very well together, with Kelly being such a good passer and Sarah knowing how to bury those set-ups.

And with her shot I wouldn't be at all surprised if Frosty decides to put Grace Z on the other wing. If so, with the experience gained in her freshman season, she could very well double her goal production from the 17 she scored in 2017-18. That would be some 1st line.
    Cannot argue with any of this, although I was listing the centers alphabetically and not assigning any line order. The one thing I was trying to do was minimize the number of lines with two or more freshmen. Don't remember which coach said the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores, but I rarely have questioned the concept.
    I do like the idea of Sarah, Kelly, and Grace as our top line.

Comment

It seems as though the "lines" between serious and sarcastic posting in this thread have blurred just a bit.

I don't think we will see Boston Hockey post in this thread...At least I hope not.

As far as next season goes...Just find someone (Pannek) to feed the puck to Zoom Boom. And if the goalies could stop the puck that would be great too.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        It seems as though the "lines" between serious and sarcastic posting in this thread have blurred just a bit.

I don't think we will see Boston Hockey post in this thread...At least I hope not.

As far as next season goes...Just find someone (Pannek) to feed the puck to Zoom Boom. And if the goalies could stop the puck that would be great too.
        A wink has been added to my previous attempt at sarcasm. And as far as the Boston Hockey not quite so high end coach, yes, having one over the top poster poking others with a sharp stick is probably more than enough already in the Gopher thread.

Pannek and Potomac reunited and with Zoom Boom sounds really good!
        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-14-2018, 10:22 PM. Reason: What about a speed line though?
        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
          Pannek and Potomac reunited and with Zoom Boom sounds really good!
          In most years, that would be a great top line. I've watched Amy P. play less than one game in person, but that was enough to convince me that she is a definite first-line player. Also, Pannek and S. Potomak were most effective when with a healthy Cameranesi. Dani and Grace are far different kind of players. Both can finish, one by picking corners upstairs, the other mainly by blasting holes through people. Dani was someone who could be very effective away from the puck, whether playing with Terry, Brandt, or Pannek, her three primary centers at UM. Grace is more used to keeping the puck on her stick. I love the thought of Pannek w/ her on the PP, but it doesn't seem like she'll be the best fit if Sarah is on the other wing.

I do like Wente and Zum together. There is something to be said to playing with people with whom you are comfortable, and they clearly click fairly well.

Woken seems like a key among the returning players to me. Both she and Agnew arrived with a lot of promise, and neither quite got there over her first two years. Agnew just never seemed like the best fit for what UM wants to do, skate fast and put pressure on the puck all over the ice. Woken, OTOH, skates as fast as anyone we have, and should be able to thrive in such a system. Now that she'll be well removed from her injury, I could see her game taking a big jump with the right line.

There should be more than one correct solution, and I'd be surprised if we don't see the two Potomaks playing together at some point.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

I knew we'd have a very large contingent vying for a roster spot next season, but didn't know how large, so I did this for my own benefit as much as anything.

GO GOPHERS!
            It's cool that if 8 forwards get injured this year you guys can still roll three lines - even after the recent BC transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
              It's cool that if 8 forwards get injured this year you guys can still roll three lines - even after the recent BC transfer.

It's always good to have contingency plans in place. It's where having the white van with the hand painted "free skates" sign broadcasting subliminal Gopher recruiting messages pays off.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

As far as next season goes...Just find someone (Pannek) to feed the puck to Zoom Boom.
                Sounds like a good plan to me, I'd like to see her (Grace) get 9 quality shots every game.
                Originally posted by ARM View Post
                ... I'd be surprised if we don't see the two Potomaks playing together at some point.
                Seems to me that given they have played together (and grown up together) putting the two Potomaks together needs to be at least tried to see what they can do.

D Corp:
                Marshall with Beyonce
                Brown with Ostertag
                Robinson with Hengler
                I’m not seeing Skarzynski playing D unless someone gets hurt, despite the abundance of forwards.
                In fact, Skarzynski center third line with Williamson & Woken? I like three experienced forwards against possibly inexperienced players. A lot of speed and hustle. They could end up scoring a lot similar to Davis-Bona-Schipper.
                Pannek, Zumwinkle and Oden. Two shooters with somebody that can set them up. I would also think that with the way Grace skates thru the Offensive zone, there is bound to be an opening that KP takes advantage of (similar to when she played with Schipper & Piazza).
                Then the Potomaks with Heise.
                But where does that leave Wente? And Shammel? And …
                skate 4 lines?
                Last edited by pokechecker; 04-16-2018, 07:58 AM. Reason: doing my best to alleviate the fan forum hysteria

Comment

ALUMNI SPOTLIGHT: RACHEL RAMSEY

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...gn=GopherDaily
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Ramsey mentioned #9 as a player she enjoyed watching play after she graduated. Interesting that Rachel Bona also mentioned #9 when asked that question last month...

Comment

*bump*
                      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                        *bump*
                        I agree. It is time for Gopher talk to look to the future rather than the past.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          I agree. It is time for Gopher talk to look to the future rather than the past.
                          After all, their future is ahead of them.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            After all, their future is ahead of them.
                            It is true, Things are more like they are today than they ever have been

Comment

From an article on letsplayhockey.com entitled " The no. 1 weakest skill in girls' hockey players"

"If you had to guess what the No. 1 weakest skill is of girls’ hockey players, what would it be? Last summer, I was sitting in a classroom alongside elite level coaches from all over Canada, listening to a presentation given by a national expert in skill development of female players. One of the coaches asked the presenter what he thought was the single biggest skill deficiency in female players. And I thought to myself, it’s got to be shooting, or the mental game, or the ability to see and use open ice. But that’s not what he said. Without hesitation, he said “giving and receiving passes.”

Definitely, at times, can be a frustrating experience watching this play out with the Gopher women's team trying to pass and receive the puck...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                From an article on letsplayhockey.com entitled " The no. 1 weakest skill in girls' hockey players"

"If you had to guess what the No. 1 weakest skill is of girls’ hockey players, what would it be? Last summer, I was sitting in a classroom alongside elite level coaches from all over Canada, listening to a presentation given by a national expert in skill development of female players. One of the coaches asked the presenter what he thought was the single biggest skill deficiency in female players. And I thought to myself, it’s got to be shooting, or the mental game, or the ability to see and use open ice. But that’s not what he said. Without hesitation, he said “giving and receiving passes.”

Definitely, at times, can be a frustrating experience watching this play out with the Gopher women's team trying to pass and receive the puck...
                                I would completely disagree. Shooting the puck

Comment

Working...
                                X