This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
    That's half of it. Viewed from the other side, the Gophers score one goal every nine shots. So the challenge is to make it look more like what Minnesota's offense usually creates, and not what the Mavericks defense typically will allow.
    The general average in women's hockey is that a goal is scored once per every 10-12 shots on goal, so anytime you can score on fewer attempts than that it becomes fairly impressive and it's going to win you a lot of games. Also, scoring 3 goals or more in a game will get you a W more often than not in our sport.
    Last edited by shelfit; 12-13-2018, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      If you can hang the right banner, then kids get over any disappointment of not winning an individual award very quickly. Or at least, that's what the Clarkson fans claim.
      So true .
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        That's half of it. Viewed from the other side, the Gophers score one goal every nine shots. So the challenge is to make it look more like what Minnesota's offense usually creates, and not what the Mavericks defense typically will allow.
        well yes, I keep forgetting people here have trouble reading between the lines, I was trying to answer D2D's question with facts we know, EXCUSE me

if trying to answer who would win MSU or MN, yeah, including number of shots to get a goal by both teams would make for a better predictor

I’m really disappointed in Still Eeyore's analysis of the statistical difference. A statistical difference between two dependent variables loses validity when they are not measured to the same independent variable. Even though Gopher goalies played on successive nights against the same team, anybody who watched the games know both teams played at different levels the two nights. IOW, it isn’t comparing apples to apples and consequently the small statistical difference is meaningless.

So the answer to D2D’s question is keep playing both.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
          So the answer to D2D’s question is keep playing both.
          I think most would agree with this...

Speaking of goaltending, next years incoming recruit Makayla Pahl has had an interesting year so far playing for the Rochester Mayo girls high school team. Very un-Gopher like in that she has faced 352 shots in 8 games (44 shots a game). She has a .926 save percentage and a 3.13 GAA with one shutout. As you can guess her team has won very few games (2 of the 8).
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
            I think most would agree with this...

Speaking of goaltending, next years incoming recruit Makayla Pahl has had an interesting year so far playing for the Rochester Mayo girls high school team. Very un-Gopher like in that she has faced 352 shots in 8 games (44 shots a game). She has a .926 save percentage and a 3.13 GAA with one shutout. As you can guess her team has won very few games (2 of the 8).
            Until this season she played boys' hockey, so her experience this year must be quite a change for her. As you might have surmised the girls' team in front of her is very weak, especially considering the fact that the quality of girls' high school hockey in that part of the state is traditionally weak as well. So I would guess she's been facing lots of point-blank shots, including breakaways, odd-man rushes and close-in rebounds, but then her opponent shooters aren't the greatest either. So it's hard to tell how much her decision to play girls this season is going to help her, or not.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

A little off subject but...

North Dakota's interest in this player probably has increased since he has the "hard nosed" hockey and the "intimidating" your opponent aspect down. He probably is pretty good at lawnmower throwing as well.

https://***********/GinoRedaTSN/status/1073001015392260097/video/1
              Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 12-13-2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

North Dakota's interest in this player probably has increased since he has the "hard nosed" hockey and the "intimidating" your opponent aspect down. He probably is pretty good at lawnmower throwing as well.

He has a career in the NHL for sure.
                Reminds me of a college pitcher that beaned & hospitalized a guy standing in the on deck circle. I figured nobody would touch him but I believe he even made the show

Comment

I’m really disappointed in Still Eeyore's analysis of the statistical difference. A statistical difference between two dependent variables loses validity when they are not measured to the same independent variable. Even though Gopher goalies played on successive nights against the same team, anybody who watched the games know both teams played at different levels the two nights. IOW, it isn’t comparing apples to apples and consequently the small statistical difference is meaningless.
                  The amount of bull**** gobbledygook in that paragraph is staggering. Also, given that you can't grasp what the phrase "based upon the assumption" means, I would guess that you didn't do well in junior high school English, either.

Comment

the good news is that he used a hockey stick and not an AR-15

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                    The amount of bull**** gobbledygook in that paragraph is staggering. Also, given that you can't grasp what the phrase "based upon the assumption" means, I would guess that you didn't do well in junior high school English, either.
                    glad I could give your life meaning, such as it is

yeah, I didn't do well in English, it did bring down my ACT score a bit, but that didn't keep me from doing well in school or my career, how’d it go for you?

Basically there are two conditions, the first game of the weekend, and the second. And as I mentioned before they are not equal. If you apply the goalies (who are the independent variables) randomly each weekend to the two conditions you will have a valid set of comparison, and you have a valid experiment with the resulting dependent variable, the number of goals allowed.

So it all hinges on whether there has been random assignment of the goalies, some may question that, but if for example he is assigning them with a methodology, then the methodology may be the reason for the difference in the dependent variable rather than a difference in the goalies.

Did I do better this time?

Does it change the answer to D2D’s question?
                    Last edited by pokechecker; 12-14-2018, 08:10 AM. Reason: FN with SE

Comment

Just a follow up on Makayla Pahl. She faced 63 shots and made 61 saves last night as Mayo lost to Northfield 2-0. Her team managed 5 shots on goals against Northfield...Yikes.

https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/gam...ferrer=4366187

Comment

Did I do better this time?
                        Since the question you are trying to answer doesn't involve regression analysis, you aren't even on the right planet. There aren't any independent or dependent variables here. What you want is hypothesis testing, trying to determine whether or not Gulstene's and Scobee's game performances are drawn from the same distribution. It's possible to do this and include an attempt to control for the performances of the team in front of them each night. However . . .

Does it change the answer to D2D’s question?
                        Not really, because there isn't a statistical answer to that question. When I told you you'd have to decide for yourself whether one goal every six games, and even that dependent upon the assumptions you make, I was trying to imply that the statistics aren't going to help us. The problem isn't that there are independent variables that don't align; it's that the sample sizes we're talking about between the two goalies are much too small to draw any firm conclusions about a difference of .08 in their save percentages. That's not to say that there is no answer to D2D's question, just that you'll have to turn somewhere other than statistical analysis to get at it. Just watching them, I think Scobee has looked like the better goalie right now. That's not a scientific answer, but it's the best that we can do. As it happens, I don't think the difference in the eye test is enough to make continuing the rotation a bad choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Looks like the preseason RoTY favorite Heise is in a tight battle with UW's Shirley for that award.
                          Insert Airplane! joke here.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                            Since the question you are trying to answer doesn't involve regression analysis, you aren't even on the right planet. There aren't any independent or dependent variables here. What you want is hypothesis testing, trying to determine whether or not Gulstene's and Scobee's game performances are drawn from the same distribution. It's possible to do this and include an attempt to control for the performances of the team in front of them each night. However . . .

Not really, because there isn't a statistical answer to that question. When I told you you'd have to decide for yourself whether one goal every six games, and even that dependent upon the assumptions you make, I was trying to imply that the statistics aren't going to help us. The problem isn't that there are independent variables that don't align; it's that the sample sizes we're talking about between the two goalies are much too small to draw any firm conclusions about a difference of .08 in their save percentages. That's not to say that there is no answer to D2D's question, just that you'll have to turn somewhere other than statistical analysis to get at it. Just watching them, I think Scobee has looked like the better goalie right now. That's not a scientific answer, but it's the best that we can do. As it happens, I don't think the difference in the eye test is enough to make continuing the rotation a bad choice.
                            Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Insert Airplane! joke here.
                            you quoted the wrong post, I fixed it for you
                            Last edited by pokechecker; 12-14-2018, 01:10 PM. Reason: that's why I make the big money and you don't

Comment

Originally posted by ChickHicks86
                              Based on how short the list of current D-I players from SE Minnesota is, Gophers fans probably would prefer Pahl had not played girls this year, but you’ve got to give her credit for not getting ahead of herself and instead choosing to enjoy her senior year with her high school classmates.
                              Absolutely, you have to give her tons of credit for choosing the girls high school route for that very reason.

Originally posted by ChickHicks86
                              All things considered, as the list below shows, a player’s college success is more a function of the individual than their high school career.

Rebekah Kolstad / Mankato / MSU, Mankato
                              Taylor Heise / Red Wing / Minnesota
                              Katie Robinson / Kasson / Minnesota
                              Nicole Schammel / Red Wing / Minnesota
                              Catie Skaja / New Prague / Minnesota
                              Reagan Haley / Red Wing / UMD
                              Rebecca Freiburger / Rochester / Ohio State
                              Dana Rasmussen / Kasson / St. Cloud
                              Renee Saltness / Rochester / Quinnipiac
                              While what you say is true, that "a player’s college success is more a function of the individual" there is a reason why your list is very short, considering the number of players who've gone through all the schools in the southeast part of the State, and that reason is the in-season competition from that area has traditionally been very weak.

Currently there are no teams in that geographic area ranked in the KRACH Overall Top 40 [https://www.mghca.com/page/show/4275...rall-rankings],
                              and in fact her Mayo team (with whom she practices every day) is 101st out of 117 total....and her team's Strength of Schedule is also coincidentally 101 out of 117:

https://www.mghca.com/page/show/4275...edule-rankings

so she obviously can't be facing that many good shooters, certainly nowhere near the quality she'll see at the D1 level.

But as your list shows there have been some great "diamonds in the rough" individuals who've come from the southeast, and I'm sure all GWH fans hope that Makayla ends up fulfilling her potential by becoming the best goaltender she can possibly be.
                              Last edited by D2D; 12-17-2018, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Congratulations to Amanda Kessel on being named to the WCHA 20th Anniversary Team, joining this list of great hockey players:

Sara Bauer
                                Hannah Brandt
                                Dani Cameranesi
                                Natalie Darwitz
                                Brianna Decker
                                Ann-Renée Desbiens
                                Meghan Duggan

http://www.wcha.com/women/articles/2...-minnesota.php

Comment

Working...
                                X