This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
    With respect to the goaltending situation following the break, with Sydney Scobee's solid 30 save shutout performance on Saturday in mind, what do Gopher fans think the plan should be going forward?

a) Stay the course, with Alex Gulstene as the main tender - give her most of the starts until she falters, or simply could use a rest.
    b) Reward Scobee by giving her more starting opportunities. Maybe not alternating each and every series, but increasing her playing time from what it's been up to this point (35% of the minutes played).
    c) Go to a strict alternating strategy each series until one of them earns the clear No. 1, and stick with that person the remainder of the season (in which case the other would assume a true backup role from that point forward).

My opinion is that the team would be fine with any of these because each of them, for the most part, has played well. But maybe one of the three strategies stands out as the smartest way to proceed? Or maybe there's a forth option that makes the most sense?

Have at it, coaches!

Full stats here: https://gophersports.com/cumestats.aspx?path=whockey
    If Scobee is healthy, give her the majority of the starts. That would be the option I would select, so option D.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Woken also has the highest shooting percentage.
      No disrespect whatsoever, but I never would have guessed it. Many of the high quality opportunities come on the power play, and compared to some others she gets far fewer power play minutes.

What isn't a surprise is which player leads the team in minutes spent in the penalty box.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

What isn't a surprise is which player leads the team in minutes spent in the penalty box.
        getting 15 minutes in one game in the second weekend gave her an early lead that has proven tough to catch

stats are nice, people sometimes argue over what is the more important goalie stat, GAA or save %
        well, here are two more: minutes per shot, and minutes per goal
        OK, I'm going to add the stat I believe is most important of all: the number of shots you have to take to get a goal, in bold:
        Abigail Levy 1:58 42:07 21.3
        Janine Alder 1:33 25:53 16.6
        Andrea Br舅dli 2:04 34:29 16.6
        Kristen Campbell 3:42 54:28 14.7
        Sydney Scobee 2:58 42:10 14.2
        Maddie Rooney 1:44 22:48 13.1
        Alex Gulstene 2:53 37:15 12.9
        Emma Polusny 1:22 15:25 11.2
        the average is 2:17 minutes per shot, and 34:20 per goal for this group
        it is 2:33 and 34:07 for the WCHA

the interesting thing is that stats do not translate to W-L
        Alder has much better stats than Polusny, but W-L isn't as good
        Scooby has a little better stats, but Gulstene is far ahead in W-L
        Last edited by pokechecker; 12-12-2018, 10:11 AM. Reason: get rid of fractions of seconds

Comment

Congrats to Miss Scobee on being named the WCHA's Goaltender of the Week! Here's a listing of all the Gophers who have won a WCHA weekly award so far this season:

2018-19 Gopher WCHA Weekly Award Winners

Oct. 1: Patti Marshall, Defense of the Week
          Oct. 16: Taylor Heise, Forward of the Week
          Oct. 30: Emily Brown, Defense of the Week
          Nov. 6: Emily Oden, Rookie of the Week
          Nov. 27: Kelly Pannek, Co-Forward of the Week
          Nov. 27: Sophie Skarzynski, Defense of the Week
          Nov. 27: Taylor Heise, Rookie of the Week
          Dec. 4: Grace Zumwinkle, Forward of the Week
          Dec. 11: Sydney Scobee, Goaltender of the Week

Comment

Looks like the preseason RoTY favorite Heise is in a tight battle with UW's Shirley for that award.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Congrats to ex-Gopher Natalie Darwitz on being just the 5th woman, and the first-ever Minnesotan, to be inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame!

http://www.startribune.com/speedy-na...eer/502515181/

Natalie Darwitz file
              http://www.startribune.com/natalie-d...nce/502517471/
              Last edited by D2D; 12-12-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Looks like the preseason RoTY favorite Heise is in a tight battle with UW's Shirley for that award.
                I think that Levy is ahead by a country mile.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                  I agree. There are a lot of good rookies in the league this year: Brändli, Nylund, Hughes, Linser, Curl, LaMantia, Potomak ...
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                    Great thought. Shirley and Heise are battle for the highest ranked loser.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      Shirley and Heise are battle for the highest ranked loser.
                      If you can hang the right banner, then kids get over any disappointment of not winning an individual award very quickly. Or at least, that's what the Clarkson fans claim.

Comment

[QUOTE=pokechecker;6735006]OK, I'm going to add the stat I believe is most important of all: the number of shots you have to take to get a goal, in bold:/QUOTE]

You do realize that this is nothing but Save Percentage with the numerator and denominator switched, right?

Comment

[QUOTE=Still Eeyore;6735225]
                          Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                          OK, I'm going to add the stat I believe is most important of all: the number of shots you have to take to get a goal, in bold:/QUOTE]

You do realize that this is nothing but Save Percentage with the numerator and denominator switched, right?
                          it really isn't just flipping numerator and denominator, but yeah, it is expressing the same thing , but it is putting it into a number that is more easily interpreted, for example when the Gophers play MSU they will have to put up 21 shots to get one goal
                          if they give up a goal they will have to put 42 on net if they hope to win

at least on average

and it puts the difference between stats of the two Gopher goalies in perspective
                          if the opposition fires 14 shots on Scoobeedo they will get one goal
                          13 on Gulstene will get a goal
                          I'm sure a stat expert like you can explain why that isn't a significant difference

Comment

[QUOTE=pokechecker;6735277]
                            Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

it really isn't just flipping numerator and denominator, but yeah, it is expressing the same thing
                            , but it is putting it into a number that is more easily interpreted, for example when the Gophers play MSU they will have to put up 21 shots to get one goal
                            if they give up a goal they will have to put 42 on net if they hope to win
                            If you have that much trouble understanding the same thing expressed as a percentage, I can only conclude that you failed junior high school math. People like you are why St Cloud State feels the necessity to put shots, goals, and saves all on their scoreboard even though it's a trivial exercise to determine the third if you know the other two.

at least on average

and it puts the difference between stats of the two Gopher goalies in perspective
                            if the opposition fires 14 shots on Scoobeedo they will get one goal
                            13 on Gulstene will get a goal
                            I'm sure a stat expert like you can explain why that isn't a significant difference
                            Whichever method you use, the answer that you get based upon the assumption that their current save percentages will continue going forward is that Gulstene would give up one more goal than Scobee every six games. You can decide for yourself whether that's significant.

Comment

[QUOTE=Still Eeyore;6735320]

If you have that much trouble understanding the same thing expressed as a percentage, I can only conclude that you failed junior high school math. People like you are why St Cloud State feels the necessity to put shots, goals, and saves all on their scoreboard even though it's a trivial exercise to determine the third if you know the other two.

Whichever method you use, the answer that you get based upon the assumption that their current save percentages will continue going forward is that Gulstene would give up one more goal than Scobee every six games. You can decide for yourself whether that's significant.
                              I was told there wouldn't be any math.

Comment

... for example when the Gophers play MSU they will have to put up 21 shots to get one goal ...
                                That's half of it. Viewed from the other side, the Gophers score one goal every nine shots. So the challenge is to make it look more like what Minnesota's offense usually creates, and not what the Mavericks defense typically will allow.

Comment

Working...
                                X