X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    #13 is a gem. Saw her play in HS & thought she was OK but I was not expecting the quality of play I have seen this year. I am excited as heck to see how high her upside is
    Saw her a few times as well and the thing was, she was on the ice most of the time for EP. You could definitely see flashes of the good passing and decision making plus some very good offensive skill. Does wonders for her to be part of a 6 or 7 deep defensive rotation with the Gophers.

Skaja and her (and Boreen as well) have been pleasant surprises in this freshmen class.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      Skaja and her (and Boreen as well) have been pleasant surprises in this freshmen class.
      Usually with a class this size, there will be someone who you can tell is not quite up to the caliber of the others. Or else they look good in the early exhibitions but fall victim to the numbers game, confidence takes a beating, and they're never able to catch back up. I was impressed by how both Boreen and Hengler handled not being dressed for opening night. Both did what they could when in the lineup to force the coaches to play them. I hope 22 is okay; didn't see the collision, just the aftermath, but it is never good when the building suddenly gets that quiet. I didn't know what to expect from Skaja or Oden this season either, and I'm impressed by how quickly they've adjusted to D-I, despite being in constant flux on the line chart. A great first semester of college hockey by all seven!
      Last edited by ARM; 12-09-2018, 11:44 AM. Reason: Correcting spelling of a name.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Usually with a class this size, there will be someone who you can tell is not quite up to the caliber of the others. Or else they look good in the early exhibitions but fall victim to the numbers game, confidence takes a beating, and they're never able to catch back up. I was impressed by how both Boreen and Hengler handled not being dressed for opening night. Both did what they could when in the lineup to force the coaches to play them. I hope 22 is okay; didn't see the collision, just the aftermath, but it is never good when the building suddenly gets that quiet. I didn't know what to expect from Skaja or Odin this season either, and I'm impressed by how quickly they've adjusted to D-I, despite being in constant flux on the line chart. A great first semester of college hockey by all seven!
        Really this incoming class has been amazing & is the real reason they can roll four lines. The future is golden.
        Seems nobody saw the collision but you sure could hear it. That was not a good sign. OTOH, she did not go directly to the training room so I am hoping she is a bit beaten up and 2 weeks of R&R is all she needs.

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        Saw her a few times as well and the thing was, she was on the ice most of the time for EP. You could definitely see flashes of the good passing and decision making plus some very good offensive skill. Does wonders for her to be part of a 6 or 7 deep defensive rotation with the Gophers.

The thing I noticed was she didn't loaf despite the ice time But i never thought she would adjust to D-I speed this quickly. Having eliet linemates certainly has made her soar. She is smart, quick & has great hands but sometimes what looks like that in HS takes time to develop in college
        Last edited by ne7minder; 12-09-2018, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Well I'll be, the Gophers sweep a good Robert Morris team but still lose the number two spot in the PairWise to Saint Anselm. Who the heck did they play?
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Well I'll be, the Gophers sweep a good Robert Morris team but still lose the number two spot in the PairWise to Saint Anselm. Who the heck did they play?
            Should we be worried about St Anselm? Could they really get into the NCAA tournament? They play few games, and against cupcake teams. They aren't even in Division 1! Googled them, they're in NCAA Div 2. Just wondering.....Are the rankings messed up? I remember seeing them highly ranked in past years, but nothing ever came of it.
            Last edited by drewkal; 12-09-2018, 02:58 PM. Reason: added stuff

Comment

Originally posted by drewkal View Post
              Should we be worried about St Anselm? Could they really get into the NCAA tournament? They play few games, and against cupcake teams. They aren't even in Division 1! Googled them, they're in NCAA Div 2. Just wondering.....Are the rankings messed up? I remember seeing them highly ranked in past years, but nothing ever came of it.
              Technically, the NCAA tournament is Div I/Div II, so that doesn't make them ineligible. What does, right now, is that St Anselm won't play the twenty games against DI or DII opponents that's required to be eligible for the tournament. This likely will change in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                Technically, the NCAA tournament is Div I/Div II, so that doesn't make them ineligible. What does, right now, is that St Anselm won't play the twenty games against DI or DII opponents that's required to be eligible for the tournament. This likely will change in the near future.
                My post above was in jest as I knew they're not eligible, but I wasn't sure exactly why. Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  My post above was in jest as I knew they're not eligible, but I wasn't sure exactly why. Thanks for the clarification!
                  Ditto!

Comment

With respect to the goaltending situation following the break, with Sydney Scobee's solid 30 save shutout performance on Saturday in mind, what do Gopher fans think the plan should be going forward?

a) Stay the course, with Alex Gulstene as the main tender - give her most of the starts until she falters, or simply could use a rest.
                    b) Reward Scobee by giving her more starting opportunities. Maybe not alternating each and every series, but increasing her playing time from what it's been up to this point (35% of the minutes played).
                    c) Go to a strict alternating strategy each series until one of them earns the clear No. 1, and stick with that person the remainder of the season (in which case the other would assume a true backup role from that point forward).

My opinion is that the team would be fine with any of these because each of them, for the most part, has played well. But maybe one of the three strategies stands out as the smartest way to proceed? Or maybe there's a forth option that makes the most sense?

Have at it, coaches!

Full stats here: https://gophersports.com/cumestats.aspx?path=whockey

Comment

I think that they've generally been in a rotation when Scobee has been healthy.

Comment

Iv'e never been a coach, but my instinct tells me that generally coaches like to go with one goalie if they can and an occasional game to a backup. Although, when I think of tandems I always remember Pietrangelo and Blue of the Gopher men in the mid-80's and that worked out fairly well. So, I vote for alternating the 2 goalies, unless Gulstene can't seem to get her new glove softened up and then try Scobee to see what she can do.
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 12-10-2018, 05:07 PM. Reason: One for each period? Probably not.
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                          So, I vote for alternating the 2 goalies, unless Gulstene can't seem to get her new glove softened up and then try Scobee to see what she can do.
                          I assume somebody has told Gulstene to soak the glove in water, then put a baseball in it, wrap it in rubber bands and put it under her pillow. Guaranteed to work.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            I think that they've generally been in a rotation when Scobee has been healthy.
                            I didn't know she's been injured off and on. I think she's played well when called upon, and I hope she's 100% and in a regular rotation when the 2nd half begins (Option "c" above).

Comment

Game highlights from Saturday's game:

https://***********/twitter/statuses...66375321493504

Comment

Looking at the first-half stats, it's not surprising that 25-28-12 have three of the top five +/- totals among the forwards. It is a less expected that Skaja and Woken are up there with them. Woken also has the highest shooting percentage.

Comment

Working...
                                X