This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Congrats to Grace Zumwinkle and Taylor Heise on being named WCHA Players of the Month:

WCHA Players of the Month - November 2018
    Forward: Grace Zumwinkle, So., Minnesota
    Defenseman: Jincy Dunne, RS-Jr., Ohio State
    Goaltender: Abigail Levy, Fr., Minnesota State
    Rookie: Taylor Heise, F, Minnesota
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

They win 6-1, which you'll take, but this seemed more a Saturday game than a Friday game. Gulstene kept having pucks drop out of her glove. Very lucky a couple of those didn't go in the net. Who is playing in #19 jersey? Because whoever that is, I would like to see pre-Olympic Kelly Pannek back in that jersey.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        Who is playing in #19 jersey? Because whoever that is, I would like to see pre-Olympic Kelly Pannek back in that jersey.
        Quite simply she is not playing up to the level she's capable of playing. To my eyes it's mostly because she's hanging on to the puck too long, trying to make the perfect play. This makes it so much easier for the opponent to defend and eliminate her best options, as they have more time to regroup and/or cover her linemates more effectively...because she's made her decision on what to do too late.

So my recommendation, for whatever it's worth, would be to have her move her feet quicker, generally play faster and use her gifted creativity more instinctively - while moving faster to open ice and in the process creating more options from which to score.

I think that's what we saw more of in the past, and why she made the last Olympic team roster.

I've always been a huge fan, so I'll close with....

GO KELLY!
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Quite simply she is not playing up to the level she's capable of playing. To my eyes it's mostly because she's hanging on to the puck too long, trying to make the perfect play. This makes it so much easier for the opponent to defend and eliminate her best options, as they have more time to regroup and/or cover her linemates more effectively...because she's made her decision on what to do too late.

So my recommendation, for whatever it's worth, would be to have her move her feet quicker, generally play faster and use her gifted creativity more instinctively - while moving faster to open ice and in the process creating more options from which to score.

I think that's what we saw more of in the past, and why she made the last Olympic team roster.

I've always been a huge fan, so I'll close with....

GO KELLY!
          I agree with all of this, but, it seems like they've been tinkering with Kelly's line all year which hasn't helped her either. In 2017 in the games that #19 had healthy #s 21 and 26 as linemates they were simply amazing. In the tinkering that went on with that line after #21 went down, they were not nearly so amazing to say the least.

On the plus side I don't ever remember seeing in any previous year such balanced scoring as the team has had this year. It's been great to see.
          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 12-08-2018, 04:43 AM. Reason: Ditto on GO KELLY!
          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

I was pretty impressed with Robert Morris, they have some talent on that team and I don't think the game was as lopsided as the score. They are demons in the corners & controlled play along the boards amazingly well. They also showed more speed than I expected. Still the game seemed a little 'off' as if there was not a lot of intensity. But there had to have been because there were good plays on both sides & battles all night long.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
              They win 6-1, which you'll take, but this seemed more a Saturday game than a Friday game. Gulstene kept having pucks drop out of her glove. Very lucky a couple of those didn't go in the net. Who is playing in #19 jersey? Because whoever that is, I would like to see pre-Olympic Kelly Pannek back in that jersey.
              The Pannek/SPotomak/Skaja line was so effective that it's frustrating that it hasn't been put back together.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                GO KELLY!
                "So"...Hey Nineteen...More "Focus"...Less Hocus Pocus "So" you can get back to the Big Time.

Comment

If GWH have ever played a worse period than Friday’s 3rd period, I wasn’t there to see it. Perhaps it is all part of the master plan, apparently they want to make sure Gulstene is well seasoned so as to not repeat the outcome of Raty & Leveille’s first NCAA appearance.

There does seem to be a lot of line tinkering, as long as they don’t mess with Wente, Schammel, and Zumwinkle, I’m fine. Hopefully when February comes around the lines will be solidified.

Nice to see that they followed up a Friday win with 3 good periods of hockey, although given the 3rd period Friday, there was no place to go but up.

Comment

There is a lot to tinker with, but as PC said, if you keep the Schamwow line together and as others (I think Still Eeyore) have suggested, put Skaja with Pannek and SPototmak, those are 2 tough lines to matchup with. Having Woken, Williamson and APotomak as a line works very well too. That leaves some really good players as an interchangeable 3rd or 4th line
                    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 12-08-2018, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Another workmanlike performance against a game but over matched team. RM deserves a lot of credit, they played 120 minutes this weekend and often looked pretty good. 5-0 MN.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        If GWH have ever played a worse period than Friday’s 3rd period, I wasn’t there to see it.
                        At times in both the Halldorson era and now the Gophers have had a tendency to let up on the gas peddle when they have a big lead, especially if the big lead is early in a game. After the 6-1 lead on Friday they did seem to go into at least cruise control for most of the rest of the way. Is this a tendency of their 2 head coaches to not want to embarrass their opponents or is it something else? I have no idea.

In a side note, I really liked #13's play again this weekend.

In another side note I was informed by an insider during today's game that yesterday's Gopher goalie was using a new glove which may have explained a few dropped pucks at times.
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 12-08-2018, 04:48 PM. Reason: So it's not just the Gophers who can have a game with no puck luck!

Comment

I only saw the Saturday game this weekend, but it's hard not to like what the Gophers are putting on the ice now. Robert Morris is no pushover, and I could easily see them being the CHA team in the NCAA tourney, and could they could definitely pull the upset if they don't get stuck playing either of the top 2 seeds. Beating them by 5 two days in a row is nothing to scoff at. I have not seen Wisconsin play this year, but it's hard to see any teams besides them matching the depth the Gophers bring. The only real weakness I see is goaltending, and if the D can clean up the rebounds like they did today, that won't be an issue over the course of a 60 minute game.

You can question the lines and individual production all you want, but what I saw today was impressive. Heise does not look like a 4th line player, Pannek's shorty showed some serious awareness/patience, and any time Schammel and Zumwinkle have no points in a blowout win, that's the sign of a deep team. It's only December, but Minnesota has the look of a real contender in March.
                          2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

Yes ChickHicks86, we Gopher fans are very spoiled and will find the oddest things to complain about. Guilty as charged.
                            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 12-08-2018, 05:31 PM. Reason: But then it is going on 3 years since the Gophers won an NCAA championship so...

Comment

I still think this team has some significant defensive issues, but:

1) Despite that, they aren't giving up many goals; they rank 4th in the country at 1.60 per game. Maybe top teams will be able to exploit that more, but maybe not;

2) The offense may be good enough to win a shootout even if the defense has a bad game. I'd like to see us have a really good offensive game against a team better than the ones we've been playing lately (Robert Morris might win the CHA, but they're a below average team by both winning percentage and KRACH, and is in the bottom twelve nationally in goals allowed per game), but there are certainly good signs, especially the depth on the forward lines;

3) There's no evidence that there's a team without holes out there. Wisconsin comes the closest, but the Gophers have already shown they can play with them.

So, I like our chances. We'll see what the second half brings.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                                In a side note, I really liked #13's play again this weekend.
                                #13 is a gem. Saw her play in HS & thought she was OK but I was not expecting the quality of play I have seen this year. I am excited as heck to see how high her upside is

Comment

Working...
                                X