X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Intrigued by the overall team height for this years squad...

3 forwards 5'5" and under
    12 forwards 5'6" and above (8 forwards 5'8" and above).

All defensemen are 5'7" and above.

2 goaltenders who will play the most minutes are 6' and 5'8" (Scobee and Gulstene).

Lots of length and plenty of speed and skill to go with it. Excited to see how the pieces fit together for this years team.
    This is a stretch. I know most of these girls of the so called 5'8" and above... On tippy toes maybe. Scobee... yea right. But rounding up is in all sports.

Also, Maybe the U should stop the practice of grabbing kids when there just out of diapers. But I suppose the 8th grader that just committed is pretty old for their standards, changing their practice, probably not... This is why the goalie situation is in constant flux. They wouldn't have to go and steel a goalie that is average at best, from a conference that wasn't very strong, for a stop gap to make up for their recruiting mistakes. By the way, what very young goalie got cut this year from the USA program they recruited? Again, recruiting goalies to young is not a good thing for anyone. They just haven't learned that yet. With near a half a dozen on the roster, you would think they wouldn't have to keep looking... The U is why the NCAA (and rightly so) are changing the recruiting policies in the near future. The U is using different avenues to circumvent the rules. (Local summer feeder programs for year around recruiting regardless of age and rules ) They really never stop talking to any recruit, even during the no communication periods. Its interesting to mention, even with all these "gray" area violations over these past few years. They still dont have much to show for it. This year could be different however. They are fielding a pretty strong team thanks to Os and HP network of very close friends. Calling a spade a spade is all.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.hook View Post
      This is a stretch. I know most of these girls of the so called 5'8" and above... On tippy toes maybe. Scobee... yea right. But rounding up is in all sports.

Also, Maybe the U should stop the practice of grabbing kids when there just out of diapers. But I suppose the 8th grader that just committed is pretty old for their standards, changing their practice, probably not... This is why the goalie situation is in constant flux. They wouldn't have to go and steel a goalie that is average at best, from a conference that wasn't very strong, for a stop gap to make up for their recruiting mistakes. By the way, what very young goalie got cut this year from the USA program they recruited? Again, recruiting goalies to young is not a good thing for anyone. They just haven't learned that yet. With near a half a dozen on the roster, you would think they wouldn't have to keep looking... The U is why the NCAA (and rightly so) are changing the recruiting policies in the near future. The U is using different avenues to circumvent the rules. (Local summer feeder programs for year around recruiting regardless of age and rules ) They really never stop talking to any recruit, even during the no communication periods. Its interesting to mention, even with all these "gray" area violations over these past few years. They still dont have much to show for it. This year could be different however. They are fielding a pretty strong team thanks to Os and HP network of very close friends. Calling a spade a spade is all.
      I suppose it was inevitable that someone was going to make pokechecker look like Mr. Positivity...

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/6dca275...6-beba16ad6607
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

This is a stretch. I know most of these girls of the so called 5'8" and above... On tippy toes maybe.
        [/I]

Are you suggesting the Gopher coaching staff is pulling a Christine Blasey Ford?

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        I suppose it was inevitable that someone was going to make pokechecker look like Mr. Positivity...

[/URL]
        I would object, but as a white male, I am used to false accusations.

Comment

Sounds like dr.hook's kid got the Hook. Seems bitter at all the programs that probably turned them away. By the way most of those goalies come to them. If you show promise when you're young and you say I want to go there and get no money why wouldn't you at least entertain the idea? Have fun with your small network of bitter friends. Calling a spade a spade is all

Comment

• Originally posted by Fiveholio View Post
            Sounds like dr.hook's kid got the Hook. Seems bitter at all the programs that probably turned them away. By the way most of those goalies come to them. If you show promise when you're young and you say I want to go there and get no money why wouldn't you at least entertain the idea? Have fun with your small network of bitter friends. Calling a spade a spade is all
            I believe that we will all see soon enough that Scobee is not an average goalie. She might just be the difference in a few W’s against top ranked teams. She’s a good one.

Comment

Coach Brad Frost interview discussing the team's outlook for the season and this weekend's series vs. Mercyhurst:

https://youtu.be/8bI2U5lz30I
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Fiveholio View Post

Wrong on all accounts. Funny though. Mr Hole that you think there is a ulterior motive here for some reason. No bitterness here what so ever. Heaven forbid someone says something about the Golden shower standard of hockey. Your "turn away" argument is always a good one to fall back on. Its an easy argument to make when you have nothing to add. Nope, none of these pay to play programs effected me in a negative way personally. In fact no skin in the game here. If you think the recruiting system doesn't need fixing, well than I am wasting time and energy here, but its a fun discussion anyways. As far as the goalie situation. How can anyone look at their decisions objectively and think that they haven't had issues these past few years. Some of the issue they are having is because they have been taking very young players... period. To much kool-aid Mr Hole. As far as Scobee, she is lucky to have a good team in front of her. But the goalie position and depth over all is the trouble spot on that team.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                  I believe that we will all see soon enough that Scobee is not an average goalie. She might just be the difference in a few W’s against top ranked teams. She’s a good one.
                  Am a UVM fan, can confirm. And can confirm that the height is pretty accurate, she's around the same height as myself and I'm 6 foot.
                  https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                  https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                  NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                  Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Oddly enough Frost has been arguing for a few years now for NCAA rules setting a minimum age for recruiting. It might help you around here if you took a little time to learn anything at all about the situation before you comment and make yourself look like a whiny little moron.

Comment

Gophers took game one 4-2 against a pretty good, very fast, Mercyhurst squad. They had what is becoming a standard slow start and the LAkers jumped out to a 1-0 lead. MN came back and held a 4-1 lead until Mercyhurst got a late PP goal to make it 4-2. They pulled their goalie with a minute left but could not notch another one. The Lakers hustled very hard and had some quality chances but Gulstein was solid. Minnesota showed they have a lot of kids that have not played together much and missed some great chances by missing passes by inches. It was very entertaining and well played on both sides I thought.
                      Last edited by ne7minder; 09-28-2018, 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

After an even (and sloppy) 1st period in which the Gophers' fell behind 0-1 they began to play much better in the 2nd and got noticeably more dominant in the 3rd, building a 4-1 lead before surrendering a late goal to make it a 4-2 final. The Gophers' improved play as the game went along was primarily due to two factors:

(a) their (four line) depth at the forward position (they just kept coming and attacking), and maybe more importantly
                        (b) the changes made in the forward lines which resulted in much better chemistry and play-making, most noticeably in the revised first line (Kelly Pannek + the two Potomak sisters, Sarah and Amy).

But make no mistake about it, Mercyhurst is an excellent team and they gave Minnesota all they could handle. The Gophers better be ready for the rematch tomorrow afternoon.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Mercyhurst employed a nice trap that took advantage of some mistakes and indecision on the Gophers part, especially in the first period. A lot of line combinations were tried by Minnesota and I think that after they settled in with the first line as Pannek with the Potomak sisters and the second line as Wente with Zoom Boom and Schammel they had much better flow. Minnesota definitely left at least two goals on the table with passes that should have been on the mark but were just slightly off.
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            After an even (and sloppy) 1st period in which the Gophers' fell behind 0-1 they began to play much better in the 2nd and got noticeably more dominant in the 3rd, building a 4-1 lead before surrendering a late goal to make it a 4-2 final. The Gophers' improved play as the game went along was primarily due to two factors:

(a) their (four line) depth at the forward position (they just kept coming and attacking), and maybe more importantly
                            (b) the changes made in the forward lines which resulted in much better chemistry and play-making, most noticeably in the revised first line (Kelly Pannek + the two Potomak sisters, Sarah and Amy).

But make no mistake about it, Mercyhurst is an excellent team and they gave Minnesota all they could handle. The Gophers better be ready for the rematch tomorrow afternoon.
                            Yes to all this, but there was also way too much loose play at the blue line by the Gopher defensemen resulting in many near breakaways by the Lakers. On the plus side, the passing between the Potomak sisters and their very talented center is going to be a joy to watch this season.
                            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                              Oddly enough Frost has been arguing for a few years now for NCAA rules setting a minimum age for recruiting. It might help you around here if you took a little time to learn anything at all about the situation before you comment and make yourself look like a whiny little moron.
                              Listen Neverminder - Sticks and stones big guy. Ease it back a little... But hey, I suppose verbally committing 8th and 9th graders.. Sorry that makes them sound young. I mean 12 to 13 years old's is old enough in your book. I mean Frost looks to me he is blazing the path for the NCAA rule changes by his good examples for everyone. I bet you swallow that kool-aid often.

Looks like the boys are having the same good habits

https://www.twincities.com/2017/09/1...ts-to-gophers/

Comment

• Originally posted by dr.hook View Post

Listen Neverminder - Sticks and stones big guy. Ease it back a little... But hey, I suppose verbally committing 8th and 9th graders.. Sorry that makes them sound young. I mean 12 to 13 years old's is old enough in your book. I mean Frost looks to me he is blazing the path for the NCAA rule changes by his good examples for everyone. I bet you swallow that kool-aid often.

Looks like the boys are having the same good habits

https://www.twincities.com/2017/09/1...ts-to-gophers/
                                Until they sign the NLI, they are fair game to be recruited in the commit/decommit/recommit game.

This applies to both men and women.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X