X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Three points-related stats that I expect to be true after this series ...

1) Both Potomaks will be averaging at least a point per game for the season (neither is now);
    2) Catie Skaja will have earned her first NCAA assist;
    3) Olivia Knowles will no longer have zero points for the season.

People might think that I'm being disrespectful to SCSU, but the Huskies allowed 5 goals to RIT, hardly and offensive juggernaut, last weekend. Minnesota has also traditionally been a bad match up for them.
    1) Both Potomaks will be averaging at least a point per game for the season (neither is now); Sarah (6 points in 6 games, yes. Amy (5 in 6, not quite)
    2) Catie Skaja will have earned her first NCAA assist; (YES! On Minnesota's 4th and final goal in today's game, on Emily Oden's second goal of the game)
    3) Olivia Knowles will no longer have zero points for the season. (YES! Assisted on the Gophers' first goal of yesterday's game, scored by Nicole Schammel)

Pretty good calls there, ARM. Looking forward to your predictions for the Ohio State series next weekend!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Hockey is a funny game. I thought that the first line looked out of sync on Friday, at least relative to the other five games. Their passing wasn't as crisp, and they didn't generate the kind of chances they have at other times. But, of course, they scored three goals.

Also, the Pots and Pan line could also be called the Tinker Line.

Wente/Heise/Williamson would be the Taylor line.

We just need some veterans and three Russians to complete the set.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        1) Both Potomaks will be averaging at least a point per game for the season (neither is now); Sarah (6 points in 6 games, yes. Amy (5 in 6, not quite)
        Yeah, Sarah's shot hit the crossbar with ~ three minutes left or I'd have had it. However, I'd best not quit my day job.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
          Hockey is a funny game. I thought that the first line looked out of sync on Friday, at least relative to the other five games. Their passing wasn't as crisp, and they didn't generate the kind of chances they have at other times. But, of course, they scored three goals.

Also, the Pots and Pan line could also be called the Tinker Line.

Wente/Heise/Williamson would be the Taylor line.

We just need some veterans and three Russians to complete the set.
          ...and a little drummer girl at center with a coach named Smiley to lead his people in our favorite game.
          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 10-14-2018, 03:25 PM. Reason: Too much Guinness last night.
          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Would love to see a replay of the Gophers' first goal yesterday. The Potomak sisters put on a clinic on how to execute a 2 on 1, and it was a thing of beauty.

Comment

Note: Saturday's game time vs. Ohio State has been changed to 3:00pm. Friday's 7:00pm start remains unchanged.

Comment

Congratulations to freshman center Taylor Heise on being named the WCHA Forward of the Week:
                http://www.wcha.com/women/articles/2...f-the-week.php

AND

the NCAA 3rd Star of the Week:
                https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-...ads-stars-week

Comment

Cinematic Highlights: Gophers Sweep SCSU

https://youtu.be/4LUx_1Y9PMA

Comment

Congratulations to freshman center Taylor Heise on being named the WCHA Forward of the Week:
                    http://www.wcha.com/women/articles/2...f-the-week.php

AND

the NCAA 3rd Star of the Week:
                    https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-...ads-stars-week

Here is another:
                    http://www.mndaily.com/article/2018/...reshman-season
                    and as long as we are there:
                    http://www.mndaily.com/article/2018/...s-and-pan-line
                    I guess I’m going to have to check out their twitter page more often, looks like they were practicing their shoot out maybe? at the end, apparently somebody scored
                    hopefully there will be no shootout this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                      Here is another:
                      http://www.mndaily.com/article/2018/...reshman-season
                      and as long as we are there:
                      http://www.mndaily.com/article/2018/...s-and-pan-line
                      I guess I’m going to have to check out their twitter page more often, looks like they were practicing their shoot out maybe? at the end, apparently somebody scored
                      hopefully there will be no shootout this weekend
                      Thanks for the links...

Liked reading this about Heise.

"When she's not practicing on Minnesota's first power-play unit or completing other offensive drills, Heise is working on shot blocking and defensive zone coverage."

Not going all BADger fan on the bit as the Gophers don't have 4 1st lines like they do, but the Gophers have a pretty nice setup with the top two lines and some very competent depth behind that.
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        Not going all BADger fan on the bit as the Gophers don't have 4 1st lines like they do, but the Gophers have a pretty nice setup with the top two lines and some very competent depth behind that.
                        Darn straight! We also have 4 starting goalies as well and 7 D that can be the first pair. Next week you will see the full fury of the swarming Badgers. I sure hope Clark is ready to go next week. I recall the last game they played with a lot of smothering fondness.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

From the article: "Minnesota's players have recorded 42 points this season. The "Pots and Pan" line is responsible for nearly one quarter of those points."
                          With all the talent this line has their slower-than-expected start is a little surprising, at least to me. But the good news, I think, is that lately they've really started to click.

Comment

From the article: "Minnesota's players have recorded 42 points this season. The "Pots and Pan" line is responsible for nearly one quarter of those points."
                            With all the talent this line has their slower-than-expected start is a little surprising, at least to me. But the good news, I think, is that lately they've really started to click.
                            I was thinking the same thing, maybe a case of “one pass too many”.

Given they likely logged more ice time, ¼ of the scoring is underperforming although I have to admit watching them put on a passing clinic against Mercyhurst was so much fun I looked for a tip bucket as I left, I was feeling guilty about paying so little to get in to see it.

Everybody mentions 19 “seeing the ice” but I can’t think of anybody I’d rather have shooting (‘cept maybe ZoomBoom)

The first two series they were a contrast to Wente’s line who seemed to keep it old school, move the puck out of the zone and hit one of your wings at full speed with a pass in the neutral zone who then skated in trying to put a shot on goal. In the first 4 games, other than a few times in one of the games at Duluth where ZoomBoom received the pass behind her, they were doing their own version of a passing clinic.

Speaking of Wente, I was surprised to see her a scratch Saturday, but the Freshies sure played well in her absence, guess I'll find out what that was all about tonight.

Comment

Speaking of Wente, I was surprised to see her a scratch Saturday, but the Freshies sure played well in her absence, guess I'll find out what that was all about tonight.
                              Was wondering about that as well...
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                Was wondering about that as well...
                                According to Brad in the pregame interview, she was out due to illness. Some bug going around the locker room?

Comment

Working...
                                X