X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'm not wondering why they were afraid to quit. I'm wondering why they would sign an agreement in the first place that says that if you quit, you have to pay back 40% of your annual wages and you can't get another job in the industry and compete with us. I would say that's a pretty visible red flag that this company has a problem with employee's quitting and will do anything to stop them from doing so. Apparently no one asked why?
    While I tend to agree, I think the reality is that getting a decent job as a journalist is quite difficult today.

Comment

Yeah...plus imagine you have worked at the same station for 10 years and they are all of a sudden bought out by Sinclair. Are you going to risk going back on the market possibly having to move or take a lesser job because of a clause in your contract?
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Sure, but then what happened to it? Did the people who fled, like Sheela, really steal millions as Osho alleged?
        I am just getting to this point...and I dont believe the Osho as far as I can throw him. He is using Sheela as a way to cover for the fact that the house of cards is falling apart. He also cant take that she left him basically making him look impotent in the eyes of the world. This guy thrives on being a superstar, and his ego would never allow the betrayal.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I thought non-competes weren’t valid if they prevented you from finding gainful employment. Or something to that effect.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I thought non-competes weren’t valid if they prevented you from finding gainful employment. Or something to that effect.
            How is it doing that though? They can find other jobs just not media jobs.
            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Yeah...plus imagine you have worked at the same station for 10 years and they are all of a sudden bought out by Sinclair. Are you going to risk going back on the market possibly having to move or take a lesser job because of a clause in your contract?
              I don't think the purchasing company can just force current employees to sign a non-compete. I think normally you have to be given something in exchange, and usually just letting you keep your job isn't sufficient.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

So wait...is it the contention of the Osho and his followers that he never wanted it to be a religion? They cant be serious right?
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

So wait...is it the contention of the Osho and his followers that he never wanted it to be a religion? They cant be serious right?
                  Depends on what issue is being litigated. They argued both ways.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I don't think the purchasing company can just force current employees to sign a non-compete. I think normally you have to be given something in exchange, and usually just letting you keep your job isn't sufficient.
                    They can buy out the rest of your contract and force you to sign a new one if you want to stay.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Depends on what issue is being litigated. They argued both ways.
                      Well seeing as he applied for a permanent Visa as a religious leader it would seem he is full of crap
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

They can buy out the rest of your contract and force you to sign a new one if you want to stay.
                        I think in a lot of business sales what they do is force the seller to terminate all employees as part of the sale. Then, the purchasing company reserves the right to interview and hire those employees they choose to hire.

But there are complications with that, and my guess is there are cases out there refusing to enforce non-competes in a scenario where you get "rehired" to do basically the same job in the same location, but by a new boss.

Comment

One of the stations up here is rumored to be bought out by Sinclair, and sadly it’s the one my father and brother work at.

Also sad, Sinclair owns the only viable competitor to WWE.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            This goes beyond my normal expertise, but generally speaking the more specific the job duties and the more specific the prohibition, the more enforceable it will be. Though some states explicitly prohibit them as a matter of public policy (California being the most prominent example).

But, for instance, my understanding is a non compete for a minimum wage entry level job will almost never be enforceable anywhere, while a non compete for a CEO that prohibits him from working for a company in the same industry is more likely to be enforceable everywhere except where explicitly prohibited.

The problem is the minimum wage worker generally won't have the time or money to fight it, so it's defacto enforced.
                            Last edited by unofan; 04-03-2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I have an NCA that enjoins me from being employed by, or doing work for a current client of my employer for a period of 12 months after I am separated (whether I resign or get fired), and from trying to woo clients over to a competitor for 24 months. Notably, it does not say I can't work for a competitor. Taking into account my one business law class from a decade ago , I consider this a lot more legally kosher than the NCA at my last job which supposedly prevented me from working any job in the field for 18 months after separation (they did not try to have it enforced, so I think it was just an empty threat for individual contributors).

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                This goes beyond my normal expertise, but generally speaking the more specific the job duties and the more specific the prohibition, the more enforceable it will be. Though some states explicitly prohibit them as a matter of public policy (California being the most prominent example).

But, for instance, my understanding is a non compete for a minimum wage entry level job will almost never be enforceable anywhere, while a non compete for a CEO that prohibits him from working for a company in the same industry is more likely to be enforceable everywhere except where explicitly prohibited.

The problem is the minimum wage worker generally won't have the time or money to fight it, so it's defacto enforced.
                                That's my extremely limited understanding as well. I knew about California having a fairly broad ban against them. I was under the assumption though that if you're an engineer, your employer can't ban you from taking another engineering job.

Regarding your last sentence, yeah, but that's where a class action lawsuit comes into play if it were ever to happen. But generally I think you're dead on.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X