X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    My wife and I are season ticket holders to the touring Broadway show series in town. Neither of us had any interest in watching that made for tv crap.

Then again, neither of us like JCSS in its proper form, either.
    I'm tellin ya, man, it was great. And I am not a big fan of JCS.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

*sigh* gonna end up watching that documentary. Thanks, f*ers.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I am halfway through episode 3 and I wont lie...I side with the "cult" more than I do with the rednecks in Oregon. I know that is going to change but if the people of Antelope (and others) had just been a bit more hospitable (you know like not bombing the hotel in Portland) none of this happens. Add in the money of "Mr. Nike" and his friendship with the AG and...yeah.

And if this cult believed in Jesus none of this happens. Hell most of the people that were arguing "Establishment Clause" would have zero issue if any of this was founded in the name of The Church.

Of course if the cult had just backed off and treated Antelope with a bit of respect who knows...both sides of this fight are equally stupid.

edit: And here...she...GOES!
        Last edited by Handyman; 04-03-2018, 01:27 AM.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          I am halfway through episode 3 and I wont lie...I side with the "cult" more than I do with the rednecks in Oregon. I know that is going to change but if the people of Antelope (and others) had just been a bit more hospitable (you know like not bombing the hotel in Portland) none of this happens. Add in the money of "Mr. Nike" and his friendship with the AG and...yeah.

And if this cult believed in Jesus none of this happens. Hell most of the people that were arguing "Establishment Clause" would have zero issue if any of this was founded in the name of The Church.

Of course if the cult had just backed off and treated Antelope with a bit of respect who knows...both sides of this fight are equally stupid.

edit: And here...she...GOES!
          I think you and I went through the same set of reactions.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I think you and I went through the same set of reactions.
            Yeah pretty much. The towns people sucked.
            Doesn’t excuse what was to come though

Comment

I have sympathy for the townspeople of Antelope. They weren't really given the opportunity to ignore the cult, the cult showed up and forced themselves on the town, and the people. They didn't stay to themselves on their compound, they actively antagonized the locals, and made their lives worse.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                I have sympathy for the townspeople of Antelope. They weren't really given the opportunity to ignore the cult, the cult showed up and forced themselves on the town, and the people. They didn't stay to themselves on their compound, they actively antagonized the locals, and made their lives worse.
                I feel for them but the townspeople wanted them out from day 1. They never even gave them a chance they thought they were a bunch of hippy dippy outsiders who were in league with Satan. (and I know firsthand that being an outsider in the Pacific Northwest makes you suspicious) This is where if the cult had been smart they would have tried to win them over but instead chose to go the legal route.

It is pathetic though how bad Oregon itself is acting over this though. Suspending registration to vote because you dont want them to use the law you put in place to gain power? Letting people with uber money and connections use their influence to smear the group to the point it glorified violence against them. (how many people seemed to say they would shoot the people if they could...and then the bombing) The AG taking up the fight to disband their city because...well there is no real legal reason why and "Establishment Clause" is shaky at best when places like Salt Lake City and other religious cities exist. (but he is friends with Mr. Nike) They didnt like that the cult was smart enough to do things the right way so they said "screw it" and just stacked the deck.

Now none of that excuses what is to come. (or even what is happening now) Harassing people is not the way to change their minds. Becoming militant is not the way to go. Using the law was brilliant (say what you will Sheela was beating them at their own game) but all of the good you did gets overshadowed. No one remembers the way you reclaimed the land, fixed the ecology and really created something kind of amazing out of nothing...they remember that you went nutso because you didnt get your way.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I think the first (not sure if there are more coming) Irene Adler episode in BBC's Sherlock is the single greatest episode of television ever aired.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    There was plenty of blame to go around.

Let's be candid, they looked like a group of freaks. Certainly to rural townspeople of Oregon, but pretty much anywhere else as well.

I really wonder what would have happened if they had been allowed to set up and incorporate their own city and basically keep it as an independent municipality to be run by themselves. They didn't really start moving on Antelope until they felt they had no choice if they wanted to have a City.

Personally, I think there would have been no problems with Antelope had they been permitted to do that, but ultimately there would still have been conflict with the County and the State. The County and State would have the need to enforce planning and zoning issues and so on, and I'm not sure this group would have ever felt comfortable letting an agency they don't control tell them what to do.

At the end of the day, the people of Oregon got what they wanted -- to run the cult out of the state. To accomplish this they actually had to ignore or look past some pretty serious criminal conduct. Who else gets to conspire to kill a U.S. attorney, attempt to murder someone, conspire to poison the water supply of a town, actually poison public restaurant salad bars, engage in immigration fraud, drug bus loads of homeless people when they no longer serve your purpose, and a host of other crimes, and get to walk after about 3 years in jail? Only someone you really want out of the country because they are weird.

On the other hand, the US government certainly didn't do itself proud. Spent who knows how many hundreds of thousands of dollars chasing Osha's Lear jets across the country to prevent his escape, then return him to Oregon on a flight from hell that took eight days and involved stops in a dozen U.S. cities, all just to torture him. Then, when they get him back to Oregon he offers to plead guilty if they'll let him leave the country, and they say OK?!?!

I loved it when a reporter asks why go to all the trouble and expense to prevent him from leaving in the Lear jets if the whole goal was to deport him. The U.S. official basically says "we don't work that way." W T F?

It was a very aggravating documentary series to watch.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

I will say this about Wild Wild Country. The makers of the film did a pretty average job given what is some interesting material with which to work. They just never asked the follow up questions.

The financial side to the cult is fascinating, and completely unresolved by the movie. Where did the money come from, and in what amounts? Obviously huge sums were spent on things like planes and cars, but there were also hints that the finances of the place were collapsing.

You have someone like Sheela, who spent her entire life since childhood following this guy around, then spent a few years in prison, and suddenly she has the coin to move to Switzerland and buy two nursing homes, according to wiki?
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Well at first it came from donations, then they set up their own bank I thought Sheela said. Plus hey were selling tons of products like the leaders books. Then you had the World Festivals...
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Well at first it came from donations, then they set up their own bank I thought Sheela said. Plus hey were selling tons of products like the leaders books. Then you had the World Festivals...
                          Sure, but then what happened to it? Did the people who fled, like Sheela, really steal millions as Osho alleged?

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            Sure, but then what happened to it? Did the people who fled, like Sheela, really steal millions as Osho alleged?
                            I haven't gotten to that point yet, but given what I've seen of Sheela, I would be very surprised if she didn't steal millions.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              I dunno I havent got that far yet My guess is they had contingency plans in plans in place though.

On another note for those who saw Jon Olivers slaughtering of Sinclair Media you might be wondering why some journalists didnt quit instead of reading the BS they are forced to pretend is legit...here is why:

The short answer is the cost may be too steep. According to copies of two employment contracts reviewed by Bloomberg, some Sinclair employees were subject to a liquidated damages clause for leaving before the term of their agreement was up: one that requires they pay as much as 40 percent of their annual compensation to the company.

While they were also subject to a six-month non-compete clause and forced arbitration, three current and former Sinclair employees said it was the potential financial penalty that had the greatest impact on those thinking of quitting. Under the clause, there is a specific window of time during which employees can give notice. One current employee who requested anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak publicly said the clause’s limitations are the reason he hasn’t quit. An ex-employee who also requested anonymity said both the non-compete and the damages clause dissuaded her at first from looking for work elsewhere.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

On another note for those who saw Jon Olivers slaughtering of Sinclair Media you might be wondering why some journalists didnt quit instead of reading the BS they are forced to pretend is legit...here is why:

I'm not wondering why they were afraid to quit. I'm wondering why they would sign an agreement in the first place that says that if you quit, you have to pay back 40% of your annual wages and you can't get another job in the industry and compete with us. I would say that's a pretty visible red flag that this company has a problem with employee's quitting and will do anything to stop them from doing so. Apparently no one asked why?

Comment

Working...
                                X