This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

I'm sure this has been covered before, but has anyone made the switch to a streaming cable service yet?

We pretty much only have cable for sports at this point, and since a lot of these packages are majority sports bundles it looks like a good move.

Wondering what speed internet to get (will also be doing some gaming), happiness/frustration with specific services, other reviews, etc.

Sling is out, no BTN
    Fubo is out, no ESPN
    Youtube is also out, unfortunately. Seems like the one place in America sans Alaska without it.

Hulu Live looks good. Cheapest remaining, also includes Hulu. Only downside being no MLBN.

PS Vue might be the best option we have. Middle of the road price, includes everything we'd be looking for. Downside is I have an Xbox, so would need to buy a Roku or Firestick to watch it. Might get a Roku no matter the choice due to BTN and NBCSN with their web streams, since plugging the laptop in for BTN2go or LiveExtra gets old. Do have a PS3, but looks like reviews are mixed on how it streams.

DirecTV is an option but at the most expensive it wouldn't make sense to go with it over Hulu and Vue.

Biggest loser in this is NHL Network. Only included on the second most expensive DirecTV package or as an add-on for Sling. Is it that unpopular? Is the NHL just awful at negotiating? I would figure it would be included with anything that also had NBCSN and MLB.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I use Hulu Live...I like it a lot. The DVR is pretty sweet and way better than the Youtube one.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Have heard good things about Vue, if what you really care about is sports.

I love Netflix, have the streaming/1 disc services. That alone carries me through most anything else (although I'm more movie than TV guy). My streaming queue hovers around 20 and disc queue hovers around 90-100 at any given time.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

TV Panels have never changed. From 1976.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Eclipse is (probably) going to Amazon Prime.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

So Kep, since you seem to be the only other one here who was watching The Terror. Some questions about the show finale. I think I've pretty much got it figured, but some confirmation would be nice.

So first, Dr. Goodsir, which seems pretty straightforward. he planned on poisoning himself, so when the rest of the bunch ate him, they'd die of the poison also. That's a bold strategy Cotton, and he almost, sorta, pulled it off.

Now Hickey. I'm gathering that he thought he would be able to control the monster, the god, and in doing so, become a god himself. But what, if anything, gave him that idea? Or is it simply that Hickey(or whoever he was) had just gone mad?

And what was the significance, if any, of that last scene with Crozier, out on the ice with the Esquimaux? Guarding over them, protecting them, as they were now his crew? They lingered on that shot, never moving, so I feel there must be something more to it than that.

And my one nitpick. The creature dying from consuming all those men with lead in their systems. But the creature was five times the size of a man, and there were still plenty of them relatively healthy despite the amount of lead they had been consuming for far longer than the creature had. Seemed a rather pat, and too convenient an ending to me.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

So I finally got around to watching legion s2e1. I need to start taking notes or paying attention more. This show is exhausting.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  So Kep, since you seem to be the only other one here who was watching The Terror. Some questions about the show finale. I think I've pretty much got it figured, but some confirmation would be nice.

So first, Dr. Goodsir, which seems pretty straightforward. he planned on poisoning himself, so when the rest of the bunch ate him, they'd die of the poison also. That's a bold strategy Cotton, and he almost, sorta, pulled it off.

Now Hickey. I'm gathering that he thought he would be able to control the monster, the god, and in doing so, become a god himself. But what, if anything, gave him that idea? Or is it simply that Hickey(or whoever he was) had just gone mad?

And what was the significance, if any, of that last scene with Crozier, out on the ice with the Esquimaux? Guarding over them, protecting them, as they were now his crew? They lingered on that shot, never moving, so I feel there must be something more to it than that.

And my one nitpick. The creature dying from consuming all those men with lead in their systems. But the creature was five times the size of a man, and there were still plenty of them relatively healthy despite the amount of lead they had been consuming for far longer than the creature had. Seemed a rather pat, and too convenient an ending to me.
                  No, no, no, I'm only about 6 eps in. No talk to me.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I was debating whether to spoilerize that. I hope you quit reading once you saw it was about The Terror.

So hurry and get caught up.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I want to watch The Terror, but my DVR recorded all but episode 1. Haven't bothered to search it out yet.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        Lol that was a hilarious cameo.
                        Yes it was.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The Americans. Giddy up!

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            The Americans. Giddy up!
                            Dammit. Gonna have to watch it tomorrow, then. Was hoping I can wait until Sat or so. Nope, not happening now. Betch. (yes, the "e" was intentional on many levels)
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Dammit. Gonna have to watch it tomorrow, then. Was hoping I can wait until Sat or so. Nope, not happening now. Betch. (yes, the "e" was intentional on many levels)
                              I wouldn’t wait! **** got real

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                I wouldn’t wait! **** got real
                                I have to wait until the next day, due to agreements with Amazon's Season Pass. Worth paying $15 instead of $100 to see 1-2 things I wanna watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X