X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I picked up watching Billions. Through 2 seasons now. It is a very good show, that I'm surprised hasn't gotten more publicity and acclaim. The cast is great, starting with Paul Giamotti, and then Damian Lewis is awesome too. Malin Ackerman and Maggie Siff also both are great.
    That show is also one of my favorites. The current season has been really great.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      This is the full video for "This is America," his second song on SNL.
      The video is cool but the song is not enjoyable. (the lyrics are good but the sound makes me want kill someone)

And Billions is great. This season is nuts
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        The video is cool but the song is not enjoyable. (the lyrics are good but the sound makes me want kill someone)
        I disagree. I really like the music, too.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          I picked up watching Billions. Through 2 seasons now. It is a very good show, that I'm surprised hasn't gotten more publicity and acclaim. The cast is great, starting with Paul Giamotti, and then Damian Lewis is awesome too. Malin Ackerman and Maggie Siff also both are great.
          I watched a couple episodes when it was free for a weekend. They were tier 1 material.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Goldbergs is getting Rick Moranis out of his self-imposed exile for a cameo as Dark Helmet this week.

Yeah, yeah, it's not Westworld or anything. But it hits the 80s nostalgia element perfectly. And the shtick of using real home video footage during the credits never gets old.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Goldbergs is getting Rick Moranis out of his self-imposed exile for a cameo as Dark Helmet this week.

Yeah, yeah, it's not Westworld or anything. But it hits the 80s nostalgia element perfectly. And the shtick of using real home video footage during the credits never gets old.
              Goldbergs is stupid as hell and I love every single second of it! Hell half the fun is when they mish mash dates of when things happened. (cause they never actually say the date) Usually only happens when Adam talks about seeing a film in the theater Oh and their referencing the "other Adam Goldberg" (cause there is an actor Adam Goldberg) and making their feud a thing was hilarious.

Other shows like that are Superstore (just started watching on Hulu) and LA to Vegas which is sadly probably getting cancelled. Neither are intellectually stimulating but they are fun as heck!

I miss Rick Moranis...
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                I miss Rick Moranis...
                He was a great talent who bombed in every major role he ever had. He was great on SCTV -- one of the best guys in the troupe -- but either he or his agent chose nothing but crap as an actor, including the two great movies he was in where he played his character perfectly but that character was insufferable.

Huge waste of talent.

For those who don't know the story of GWN:

The sketch was conceived when SCTV moved to the CBC television network. Due to the difference in the amount of time allocated for commercials, each episode to be broadcast on that network was two minutes longer than those syndicated to the United States. The CBC network heads asked the show's producers to add specifically identifiably Canadian content for those two minutes. Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas thought that this was a ridiculous request, given that the show had been taped in Canada, with a mostly Canadian cast and crew, for two years. The request inspired them to create a parody that would incorporate every aspect of the humorous stereotype of Canadians.

The segments were videotaped at the end of a day's shooting, with just Thomas and Moranis and a single camera operator. The sketches were for the most part improvised on the set, after which they would select the best ones for use on the program.

Moranis recalled, "We went on the stage with no preparation, and did 15 [sketches]. Two of them were lousy, in three we cracked up and fell apart... maybe six were keepers." Added Dave Thomas in a 2000 interview, "Rick and I used to sit in the studio, by ourselves – almost like happy hour – drink real beers, cook back bacon, literally make hot snack food for ourselves while we improvised and just talked. It was all very low key and stupid, and we thought, 'Well, they get what they deserve. This is their Canadian content. I hope they like it.'"

To their shock, the comedians found that this filler material had become the most popular part of the show. Though initially intended for Canadian TV only, some of the two-minute "Great White North" segments would find their way into U.S. versions of the 30-minute shows due to a shortage of content that week. When NBC ordered the 90-minute shows for the 1981 season, they specifically cited good affiliate feedback on the "two dumb Canadian characters" and requested that the characters be included in every program.
                Last edited by Kepler; 05-08-2018, 03:59 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  He was a great talent who bombed in every major role he ever had. He was great on SCTV -- one of the best guys in the troupe -- and he he chose nothing but crap as an actor, except for two great movies he was in where he played his character perfectly but that character was in sufferable.

Huge waste of talent.
                  He was great in a lot of really good movies up until about 1989, when started taking on kids movies for the sake of entertaining his kids. I think first and foremost, if you ever read about why he mostly left Hollywood, he was a great father.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

He was great in plenty of movies...Kepler just hates them because people actually enjoyed them
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Loved his roles in Spaceballs and Strange Brew. It was stupid humor. Didn't pretend to be anything else.

And the reasons he left acting? That's to be commended.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Loved his roles in Spaceballs and Strange Brew. It was stupid humor. Didn't pretend to be anything else.
                        And the reasons he left acting? That's to be commended.
                        I was hoping someone would mention that he left acting for a great/sad reason. Loved him in Space Balls and Strange Brew as well as Little Giants (mostly because I have a soft spot for that movie) and Little Shop of Horrors.

Comment

He was also very good in Parenthood.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Honey I Shrunk The Kids is a classic and I will not hear otherwise.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              Honey I Shrunk The Kids is a classic and I will not hear otherwise.
                              Correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Correct.
                                The warehouse scene in Blew up the kids is a classic with "Ark of the Covenant" on one of the crates in the background.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X