X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: Did you make Barry's List?

Narcos: Mexico

4 eps in. It's awesome. Skipped a lot of time in the 80s, but from what I know, it was nothing really missed; nothing really happened for quite a while; business was unchanged.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Amazon makes surprise bid for Regional Sports Nets that Disney must divest in bid for FOX.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/20/amaz...urces-say.html

Other bidders included Apollo Global Management, KKR, Blackstone, Sinclair Broadcast and TEGNA. FOX did not submit a first round bid to try and reacquire the networks back.

Could this mean the RSN's will be available on Prime TV?
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Could this mean the RSN's will be available on Prime TV?
        I'd be very nervous if I were a mid-term Comcast investor if that were the case. There's a substantial portion of the population that only has cable for sports, especially regional and college sports. If Amazon is able to put up regional sports online, cord-cutting could see a fresh wave. If I could catch the Twins, Gophers, and Wild online, I would be very hard-pressed to continue subscribing to cable.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The Seven Five. It's been on Netflix for awhile, just found out about it today. Gonna check it out tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBB7DolmQPY
          A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
            The Seven Five. It's been on Netflix for awhile, just found out about it today. Gonna check it out tonight.

It's an excellent movie, although maddening because you know that similar crap went on (and is going on) all the time, elsewhere.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Yeah...shows how easy it is for corruption like that to take hold. Very infuriating.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post

Wow.
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Great movie.

Finished up Narcos tonight. Great last couple of episodes. That final scene....hoo boy.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Narcos latest season was alright. Better than the half baked season of the Cali Cartel but still not as good as the Escobar story. They seem to be breezing through these stories awfully fast which really doesnt give the bad guys any sort of real heft to them. I get the way they are structuring it but they are doing a real disservice to the story because of it. If they ever do El Chapo I shudder to think how watered down it will be.

As for the end...eh. I mean it was kind of cool but since I dont really think that highly of "El Padrino" due to how they characterize him I am not really that suped up for it. In fact it makes the Americans look really ridiculous that they havent been able to destroy the weak kneed, whiny pretender Godfather that is Gallardo. The dude is a full on ***** on the show outside of maybe two scenes total.

I will watch the next season, but the show peaked quite a bit ago imho.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Narcos latest season was alright. Better than the half baked season of the Cali Cartel but still not as good as the Escobar story. They seem to be breezing through these stories awfully fast which really doesnt give the bad guys any sort of real heft to them. I get the way they are structuring it but they are doing a real disservice to the story because of it. If they ever do El Chapo I shudder to think how watered down it will be.

As for the end...eh. I mean it was kind of cool but since I dont really think that highly of "El Padrino" due to how they characterize him I am not really that suped up for it. In fact it makes the Americans look really ridiculous that they havent been able to destroy the weak kneed, whiny pretender Godfather that is Gallardo. The dude is a full on ***** on the show outside of maybe two scenes total.

I will watch the next season, but the show peaked quite a bit ago imho.
                      I think that last scene was more geared toward Kiki, and "How El Padrino will know my name." I liked that aspect of it. I agree they are glossing over for periods of time, but then again, nothing REALLY major happened in this last season to really explore. They are going from major event to major event, with a little detail sprinkled in. That's enough for what the show is doing. To paraphrase Henry Rollins, "I am the guy who is waiting for the 12 hour series on WWII, instead of the paltry 3 hour series." Narcos is doing the 3 hour series version.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        I think that last scene was more geared toward Kiki, and "How El Padrino will know my name." I liked that aspect of it. I agree they are glossing over for periods of time, but then again, nothing REALLY major happened in this last season to really explore. They are going from major event to major event, with a little detail sprinkled in. That's enough for what the show is doing. To paraphrase Henry Rollins, "I am the guy who is waiting for the 12 hour series on WWII, instead of the paltry 3 hour series." Narcos is doing the 3 hour series version.
                        Ummm...what scene are you talking about the scene with Kiki and El Pedrino cause that isnt in the last episode. The last scene of the season really didnt have much to do with that.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Ummm...what scene are you talking about the scene with Kiki and El Pedrino cause that isnt in the last episode. The last scene of the season really didnt have much to do with that.
                          Yeah it is. El Padrino sits down with Kiki and asks how much does he know, how long has Kiki been on El Pedrino, etc.

White out part.

Comment

Yeah it is. El Padrino sits down with Kiki and asks how much does he know, how long has Kiki been on El Pedrino, etc.

White out part.
                            Yeah that isnt the end...there is more after that.

(the last scene is the lead in to next season)
                            Last edited by Handyman; 11-24-2018, 12:31 AM.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Yeah that isnt the end...there is more after that.
                              A little bit, but not the crux, IMO.

Comment

A little bit, but not the crux, IMO.
                                And ya see I didnt like that scene at all. It felt ridiculously forced and I honestly didnt feel anything for either character.

See my problem with the season is that El Padrino is just not that menacing. They never make him into the badass he was in real life. The Narcos version doesnt scare me, he is a whiny little weasel who doesnt have the sack to actually get his hands dirty outside of the very beginning. (and one guy he kills towards the end) Everyone else I can totally buy the characterization but you need to have the evil psychopath everyone hates or there is no reason to root for the cops to take him down. Sure the DFS are bad and we all want them to die but they almost wanted to make El Padrino into the Mexican version of Escobar and while in real life I could buy that the series just doesnt give him any real chance to be that ruthless.

I am all for the Readers Digest version of the story, but then pick stories that work better that way. The best part of these stories is how ridiculously powerful they were able to get in short time, and how long they held it and how fast it collapsed. The more you breeze through it though the less the fall is really that shocking. (which is why the Escobar story is the best...they stretch it out over 2 seasons leading into 3) Each of these stories should have at least two seasons on their own. (and it looks like Mexico will based on how it ended if not more depending what comes next)

If I was ranking the seasons out of 10:

Season 1: 9
                                Season 2: 8
                                Season 3: 6.5
                                Season 4: 7.5

One thing I did like was how they were able to bring back certain characters as the stories intertwined with the Colombians stories. It was a treat seeing some of them again
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X