Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New D1 coaches needed?

Appreciate your thoughts Cavbim. Lots to think about there and
    I think both schools will be interesting to follow as a result of the changes, for the next couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by kool99
      HockeyEast33's comments about JK are spot on.
      Wow, that's sad to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by pucko View Post
        Agreed. UConn at least made it to their conference semi finals. Look at UNH. Zero improvement since Witt became head coach.
        Disagree - Until She has all her recruits it is not fair to say she has made no improvement. If not for the late skid last 2 weeks of the season they get home ice for playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
          Saw an article where Brian Idalski is going to be the new Girls Hockey Director and Coach at Culver Academy. That is good news for Culver. Hopefully, for them, he will stay for a while.
          Why not Idalski for the Providence job?
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
            JK!!??? Are you kidding me? She is NOT fit to be a D1 coach. A very negative reputation in New England re: recruiting. Has been very unprofessional at times. Far more interested in talking about herself and how great a player she is/was then the players she is recruiting. Have you ever wondered why she has moved schools so frequently recently and ended up in the wilderness at UVM?
            Can only speak from personal experience. My daughter toured Yale with her and she was very professional. Nothing like what you say - even sent a letter to tell my Daughter how great she did on the tour.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
              Um, because he just accepted the job at Culver?! Might be a better situation for him from a family perspective after so many years as a college coach.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                Maybe PE, associate head coach at OSU? He has only been in his current role for one year but would think that someday soon, he will be a candidate for a head coaching job or at least he should be. His credentials are excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  Wow, that's sad to hear.
                  I have deleted my post. It was based on incorrect information.

Comment

so...being an ECAC fan...I would love to see the standings mixup year after year (of course being a clarkson grad, we can leave them on top). But as the cost of college goes up, the value of a full scholarship goes up. This, combined with the high academic qualifications, is making it harder for all the IVY schools. There are lots of rumblings every year about how Cornell does it and all I can say is that they are the closest to the border. So what the IVYs are looking for is a smart girl who doesn't need money to go, or a smart girl who needs a lot of money (hockey is not a cheap sport so even harder). For the Canadians, i know from a reliable source that the exchange rate has also made the IVYs less attractive (again, the financial aid formula)

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                      so...being an ECAC fan...I would love to see the standings mixup year after year (of course being a clarkson grad, we can leave them on top). But as the cost of college goes up, the value of a full scholarship goes up. This, combined with the high academic qualifications, is making it harder for all the IVY schools. There are lots of rumblings every year about how Cornell does it and all I can say is that they are the closest to the border. So what the IVYs are looking for is a smart girl who doesn't need money to go, or a smart girl who needs a lot of money (hockey is not a cheap sport so even harder). For the Canadians, i know from a reliable source that the exchange rate has also made the IVYs less attractive (again, the financial aid formula)
                      The Ivies have always attracted wealthy players (don't need aid) and economically disadvantaged players (get full aid) - the middle group will often go to a full scholarship opportunity if one exists. Have known a bunch of players with middle income parents who desperately wanted to go to an Ivy school for the education but ended up at a less prestigious non-Ivy because it was free via athletic scholarship. Life choice. But this has ALWAYS been the case - nothing has changed here that changes the level of the playing field from the past.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                        The Ivies have always attracted wealthy players (don't need aid) and economically disadvantaged players (get full aid) - the middle group will often go to a full scholarship opportunity if one exists. Have known a bunch of players with middle income parents who desperately wanted to go to an Ivy school for the education but ended up at a less prestigious non-Ivy because it was free via athletic scholarship. Life choice. But this has ALWAYS been the case - nothing has changed here that changes the level of the playing field from the past.
                        thank you for repeating what i said....but I disagree with your comment that it is always that way and there are no changes. We all know that the cost of college has gone up faster than salaries. That makes this decision even harder for the middle income (there were some middle class that bit the bullet for an IVY education...but that number has gone down). also the gap between middle income and higher income has become bigger...we didn't used to hear about people with $100k in loans with undergraduate degrees. "the value of a scholarship goes up" as fast as tuition rises. I Believe the recruiting has gotten harder for the Ivies. agree to disagree if you want....

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                          thank you for repeating what i said....but I disagree with your comment that it is always that way and there are no changes. We all know that the cost of college has gone up faster than salaries. That makes this decision even harder for the middle income (there were some middle class that bit the bullet for an IVY education...but that number has gone down). also the gap between middle income and higher income has become bigger...we didn't used to hear about people with $100k in loans with undergraduate degrees. "the value of a scholarship goes up" as fast as tuition rises. I Believe the recruiting has gotten harder for the Ivies. agree to disagree if you want....
                          Ivy costs have always been significantly out of line with state schools and many private colleges - that hasn't changed. And their financial aid policies haven't meaningfully either.
                          Here's another consideration you missed - because of the high academic entrance requirements at the Ivies, they recruit disproportionately from private prep schools that prepare their students better for college. These prep schools also provide financial aid in many cases and the same situation applies there as at the Ivies - middle income earners are squeezed out. So the Ivies are disproportionately recruiting from an available player pool that is already pre-selected by the prep schools to qualify for what they can offer. I doubt whether in the last 10 years the inflation you refer to has had any meaningful effect on women's college hockey recruiting for Ivy league schools - except possibly for Canadiens, but that has always been a tough draw for the Ivies.....

Comment

Just had a thought on the Shannon Miller thread - wouldn't Katie Lachapelle at Holy Cross be a good fit for Providence - she's an alum...?

Comment

Copied from the Miller thread: HockeyEast33:
                              "I don't know about the "Kennedy could get a head coaching job if she wanted one" comment. Wouldn't you have said that about Allison Coomey and Katie Lachapelle at BU for many years, yet there they were together behind Durocher for 9 years.... I don't believe for a second that they didn't try to get a head coach job in that time and yet they weren't able to. They have coaching credentials at least as good as Kennedy. It finally took Holy Cross going D1 to get Lachapelle in line and Coomey moved to Penn State as an assistant (not even an associate head coach). I think you assume too much to think that Kennedy is a shoo-in if she wanted to be. Wouldn't Providence be the right opportunity for her (New England, similar to BC, etc.)? For that matter - wouldn't Lachapelle be a good fit for Providence - she's an alum? "

If Kennedy wants a head coach job and can't get one that is extremely sad. Lachapelle and Coomey certainly sound qualified as well; thank you for adding their name to the conversation. It makes me sad to hear you say you believe they applied for head coaching jobs and didn't get them. I hope if they aspire to head coaching D1 they eventually get the opportunity, because in my view they meet the standard, which hovers around having assistant coach experience at the D1 level.

I am more familiar with Kennedy because her school gets more press, thanks in large part to Grant so I put my thoughts below, but I understand you didn't say she's not deserving of a job, just that you're not so sure she'd get one. To your point about Providence - yes LaChapelle and Kennedy would be reasonable considerations, especially Kennedy if you are trying to disrupt a Hockey East powerhouse.

My thoughts on Kennedy are this: she and King Crowely took over BC when it was a mess, they turned it into a perennial contender for an NCAA championship, developed Olympians (including recent gold medalists), and Kennedy has recent U18 USA coaching experience. They haven't won the big one but they've won Hockey East reg and post season stuff, and Beanpots. Hockey East is not the deepest conference but it's not devoid of talent either. They've had to deal with Poulin and Coyne, that I know of, sure there are others as well. In theory recruiting to BC should not be too hard (which makes it harder to judge the coaching capability) but remember BC was terrible before the King Crowley and Kennedy era.

Edit: didn’t realize Kennedy is also a 2x Olympian. Hockey East if you are right that I’m assuming too much to think she should be a shoo in, that is a terrible reflection on the state of women’s hockey.
                              Last edited by Lindsay; 05-21-2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

If Kennedy wants a head coach job and can't get one that is extremely sad. Lachapelle and Coomey certainly sound qualified as well; thank you for adding their name to the conversation. It makes me sad to hear you say you believe they applied for head coaching jobs and didn't get them. I hope if they aspire to head coaching D1 they eventually get the opportunity, because in my view they meet the standard, which hovers around having assistant coach experience at the D1 level.

I am more familiar with Kennedy because her school gets more press, thanks in large part to Grant so I put my thoughts below, but I understand you didn't say she's not deserving of a job, just that you're not so sure she'd get one. To your point about Providence - yes LaChapelle and Kennedy would be reasonable considerations, especially Kennedy if you are trying to disrupt a Hockey East powerhouse.

My thoughts on Kennedy are this: she and King Crowely took over BC when it was a mess, they turned it into a perennial contender for an NCAA championship, developed Olympians (including recent gold medalists), and Kennedy has recent U18 USA coaching experience. They haven't won the big one but they've won Hockey East reg and post season stuff, and Beanpots. Hockey East is not the deepest conference but it's not devoid of talent either. They've had to deal with Poulin and Coyne, that I know of, sure there are others as well. In theory recruiting to BC should not be too hard (which makes it harder to judge the coaching capability) but remember BC was terrible before the King Crowley and Kennedy era.

Edit: didn’t realize Kennedy is also a 2x Olympian. Hockey East if you are right that I’m assuming too much to think she should be a shoo in, that is a terrible reflection on the state of women’s hockey.
                                I didn't say she isn't qualified to be a head coach, but she has been on the bench at BC for 11 years with Crowley. They are only 3 years apart in age, so Kennedy has no obvious reason (on the surface) to think that Crowley will retire and she will take over for her. So wouldn't it only make sense that she would be applying for head coaching jobs? I have heard her name came up a few times in the past as a candidate. So all of this would suggest that she has not been chosen for one reason or another. Providence would seem to be a primo opportunity for her (as well as Lachapelle - but Lachapelle KNOWS she will be the head coach at Holy Cross).

Comment

Working...
                                X