Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 87

Thread: New D1 coaches needed?

  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    32

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    The Ivies have always attracted wealthy players (don't need aid) and economically disadvantaged players (get full aid) - the middle group will often go to a full scholarship opportunity if one exists. Have known a bunch of players with middle income parents who desperately wanted to go to an Ivy school for the education but ended up at a less prestigious non-Ivy because it was free via athletic scholarship. Life choice. But this has ALWAYS been the case - nothing has changed here that changes the level of the playing field from the past.
    thank you for repeating what i said....but I disagree with your comment that it is always that way and there are no changes. We all know that the cost of college has gone up faster than salaries. That makes this decision even harder for the middle income (there were some middle class that bit the bullet for an IVY education...but that number has gone down). also the gap between middle income and higher income has become bigger...we didn't used to hear about people with $100k in loans with undergraduate degrees. "the value of a scholarship goes up" as fast as tuition rises. I Believe the recruiting has gotten harder for the Ivies. agree to disagree if you want....

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
    thank you for repeating what i said....but I disagree with your comment that it is always that way and there are no changes. We all know that the cost of college has gone up faster than salaries. That makes this decision even harder for the middle income (there were some middle class that bit the bullet for an IVY education...but that number has gone down). also the gap between middle income and higher income has become bigger...we didn't used to hear about people with $100k in loans with undergraduate degrees. "the value of a scholarship goes up" as fast as tuition rises. I Believe the recruiting has gotten harder for the Ivies. agree to disagree if you want....
    Ivy costs have always been significantly out of line with state schools and many private colleges - that hasn't changed. And their financial aid policies haven't meaningfully either.
    Here's another consideration you missed - because of the high academic entrance requirements at the Ivies, they recruit disproportionately from private prep schools that prepare their students better for college. These prep schools also provide financial aid in many cases and the same situation applies there as at the Ivies - middle income earners are squeezed out. So the Ivies are disproportionately recruiting from an available player pool that is already pre-selected by the prep schools to qualify for what they can offer. I doubt whether in the last 10 years the inflation you refer to has had any meaningful effect on women's college hockey recruiting for Ivy league schools - except possibly for Canadiens, but that has always been a tough draw for the Ivies.....

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Just had a thought on the Shannon Miller thread - wouldn't Katie Lachapelle at Holy Cross be a good fit for Providence - she's an alum...?

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    301

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Copied from the Miller thread: HockeyEast33:
    "I don't know about the "Kennedy could get a head coaching job if she wanted one" comment. Wouldn't you have said that about Allison Coomey and Katie Lachapelle at BU for many years, yet there they were together behind Durocher for 9 years.... I don't believe for a second that they didn't try to get a head coach job in that time and yet they weren't able to. They have coaching credentials at least as good as Kennedy. It finally took Holy Cross going D1 to get Lachapelle in line and Coomey moved to Penn State as an assistant (not even an associate head coach). I think you assume too much to think that Kennedy is a shoo-in if she wanted to be. Wouldn't Providence be the right opportunity for her (New England, similar to BC, etc.)? For that matter - wouldn't Lachapelle be a good fit for Providence - she's an alum? "

    If Kennedy wants a head coach job and can't get one that is extremely sad. Lachapelle and Coomey certainly sound qualified as well; thank you for adding their name to the conversation. It makes me sad to hear you say you believe they applied for head coaching jobs and didn't get them. I hope if they aspire to head coaching D1 they eventually get the opportunity, because in my view they meet the standard, which hovers around having assistant coach experience at the D1 level.

    I am more familiar with Kennedy because her school gets more press, thanks in large part to Grant so I put my thoughts below, but I understand you didn't say she's not deserving of a job, just that you're not so sure she'd get one. To your point about Providence - yes LaChapelle and Kennedy would be reasonable considerations, especially Kennedy if you are trying to disrupt a Hockey East powerhouse.

    My thoughts on Kennedy are this: she and King Crowely took over BC when it was a mess, they turned it into a perennial contender for an NCAA championship, developed Olympians (including recent gold medalists), and Kennedy has recent U18 USA coaching experience. They haven't won the big one but they've won Hockey East reg and post season stuff, and Beanpots. Hockey East is not the deepest conference but it's not devoid of talent either. They've had to deal with Poulin and Coyne, that I know of, sure there are others as well. In theory recruiting to BC should not be too hard (which makes it harder to judge the coaching capability) but remember BC was terrible before the King Crowley and Kennedy era.

    Edit: didnít realize Kennedy is also a 2x Olympian. Hockey East if you are right that Iím assuming too much to think she should be a shoo in, that is a terrible reflection on the state of womenís hockey.
    Last edited by Lindsay; 05-21-2018 at 12:40 PM.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post

    If Kennedy wants a head coach job and can't get one that is extremely sad. Lachapelle and Coomey certainly sound qualified as well; thank you for adding their name to the conversation. It makes me sad to hear you say you believe they applied for head coaching jobs and didn't get them. I hope if they aspire to head coaching D1 they eventually get the opportunity, because in my view they meet the standard, which hovers around having assistant coach experience at the D1 level.

    I am more familiar with Kennedy because her school gets more press, thanks in large part to Grant so I put my thoughts below, but I understand you didn't say she's not deserving of a job, just that you're not so sure she'd get one. To your point about Providence - yes LaChapelle and Kennedy would be reasonable considerations, especially Kennedy if you are trying to disrupt a Hockey East powerhouse.

    My thoughts on Kennedy are this: she and King Crowely took over BC when it was a mess, they turned it into a perennial contender for an NCAA championship, developed Olympians (including recent gold medalists), and Kennedy has recent U18 USA coaching experience. They haven't won the big one but they've won Hockey East reg and post season stuff, and Beanpots. Hockey East is not the deepest conference but it's not devoid of talent either. They've had to deal with Poulin and Coyne, that I know of, sure there are others as well. In theory recruiting to BC should not be too hard (which makes it harder to judge the coaching capability) but remember BC was terrible before the King Crowley and Kennedy era.

    Edit: didnít realize Kennedy is also a 2x Olympian. Hockey East if you are right that Iím assuming too much to think she should be a shoo in, that is a terrible reflection on the state of womenís hockey.
    I didn't say she isn't qualified to be a head coach, but she has been on the bench at BC for 11 years with Crowley. They are only 3 years apart in age, so Kennedy has no obvious reason (on the surface) to think that Crowley will retire and she will take over for her. So wouldn't it only make sense that she would be applying for head coaching jobs? I have heard her name came up a few times in the past as a candidate. So all of this would suggest that she has not been chosen for one reason or another. Providence would seem to be a primo opportunity for her (as well as Lachapelle - but Lachapelle KNOWS she will be the head coach at Holy Cross).

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,696

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    The Ivies have always attracted wealthy players (don't need aid) and economically disadvantaged players (get full aid) - the middle group will often go to a full scholarship opportunity if one exists. Have known a bunch of players with middle income parents who desperately wanted to go to an Ivy school for the education but ended up at a less prestigious non-Ivy because it was free via athletic scholarship. Life choice. But this has ALWAYS been the case - nothing has changed here that changes the level of the playing field from the past.
    This is true. My nephew just graduated from high school yesterday and he told me that one of his classmates, a football player, got into Harvard and Holy Cross. He chose Holy Cross because they gave him a full ride for four years. You just can't compete against that if you're Harvard. We've increased financial aid allotments to help more middle income kids but a majority of them still get squeezed and take the full ride if offered before they are accepted to Harvard.

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Posts
    3,064
    Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    Why not Idalski for the Providence job?
    Local reports have Matt Kelly getting PC job.

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by cavbim View Post
    Local reports have Matt Kelly getting PC job.
    Hmmmm....... might be an OK hire. But he has been out of coaching as a scout since 2014 so that makes it a little less exciting and his recruiting contacts are likely stale. just not sure on this one....

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    11

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Has he even been a head coach?

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    ellicott city, md, usa
    Posts
    10,531

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by In the blue View Post
    Has he even been a head coach?
    No. He was an assistant coach with the Clarkson womens team. He left after the 2014 NC$$ Championship.

    https://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/s...lly-head-scout
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The coast on the right
    Posts
    397

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    32

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    disappointed to not hear anything from Brown yet....with the NDC the next two weeks it is a missed recruiting opportunity...

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    ellicott city, md, usa
    Posts
    10,531

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
    disappointed to not hear anything from Brown yet....with the NDC the next two weeks it is a missed recruiting opportunity...
    http://www.ecachockey.com/women/memb...amed_Head_Coac
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    32

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Thank u missed that.

    Yale names new assistant Mel Ruzzi...nice catch

    http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/w-hockey/2017-18/releases/20180705w3h96p

  15. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
    Thank u missed that.

    Yale names new assistant Mel Ruzzi...nice catch

    http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/w-hockey/2017-18/releases/20180705w3h96p
    Good for her. A class act who certainly deserves this kind of opportunity. Well done Yale.

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    32

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Pellegrini gone from Northeastern.....very surprised.
    Last edited by MAHOCKEY FAN; 07-13-2018 at 11:47 AM.

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    14

  18. #58

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,460
    Pet peeve

    There is no U15 age classification in USA Hockey.

    There is a 15 only classification for Tier I teams, plus the usual 18U, 16U, 14U, 12U, 10U & 8U for all youth levels.

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    32

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    disappointed that with new hires (coaches, associates, and assistants)....uscho still has the guy leaving womens hockey on the front page....there are no new pictures out there to post??

  20. #60
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, CT
    Posts
    10,255

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    RIT "special announcement" at 4pm, I assume new coach? https://twitter.com/RITWHKY/status/1032318422657519621

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •