New D1 coaches needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    JK!!??? Are you kidding me? She is NOT fit to be a D1 coach. A very negative reputation in New England re: recruiting. Has been very unprofessional at times. Far more interested in talking about herself and how great a player she is/was then the players she is recruiting. Have you ever wondered why she has moved schools so frequently recently and ended up in the wilderness at UVM?
    Wow, those are some interesting comments about her. Do you have a personal grudge or something?!

Comment

Interesting choice. Certainly a WAY better choice than the previous coach - she has at least had head coaching success, has recruiting contacts, and is relatively well thought of as a D3 recruiter. I would think she has a reasonable chance to make Brown better (better, not good. It will likely be a long time before they are good again after the mess they've made the last few years and what was left behind).
      I was a bit surprised by this choice but she is a former D1 player herself and she's paid her dues and learned a lot as a D3 head coach at a private school with a very good academic reputation. Obviously she's a way better choice than the guy she's replacing, although that's not really much of a compliment to her. She's inheriting a mess and it's going to take her four to five years to even become competitive in my opinion. I wish her the best.
      Last edited by shelfit; 05-04-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Re: New D1 coaches needed?

Bob Deraney out at PC

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
          Bob Deraney out at PC
          In fact all women's hockey coaches listed as TBA on their staff directory list. That first round playoff loss to lowly UConn probably cost him his job.
          Last edited by shelfit; 05-04-2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            That first round playoff loss to lowly UConn probably cost him his job.
            That "lowly" Connecticut did go 1-1-2 on the season against mighty BC, so they were at least capable of playing pretty well.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I wonder if Providence has a candidate in mind, maybe someone who applied at Brown? The timing is strange as Providence had their best record since 2011 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                I wonder if Providence has a candidate in mind, maybe someone who applied at Brown? The timing is strange as Providence had their best record since 2011 this year.
                In 2011 Coach Deraney signed an extension to 2017 which was extended again last year, but no length was stated. It’s possible it was only for one year and the school decided it was time to go with a new head coach.

Sean
                Last edited by Sean Pickett; 05-04-2018, 09:52 PM.
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Deraney worked hard to bring great facilities to the women’s program and helped many players become leaders. Thanks for 19 years of effort.

Comment

Originally posted by joehockey View Post
                    Deraney worked hard to bring great facilities to the women’s program and helped many players become leaders. Thanks for 19 years of effort.
                    Agree with this sentiment. He also helped bring visibility to the sport and the accomplishments of the athletes via social media, be it interviews, video clips or twitter. Not a small thing when you consider the lack of coverage in women’s sports.

Comment

Providence wouldn't and shouldn't know who applied at Brown. I have to believe that info is confidential isn't it?! Agree the decision itself seems strange as does the timing considering they had a much improved season except for the playoff results. His overall record is above .500 which doesn't typically result in being fired. There are plenty of other programs that I can think of that should be replacing their head coach before Providence. This is a sad decision. Good guy. Good coach. But maybe they want a great coach. Good luck to them finding that.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                        Providence wouldn't and shouldn't know who applied at Brown. I have to believe that info is confidential isn't it?! Agree the decision itself seems strange as does the timing considering they had a much improved season except for the playoff results. His overall record is above .500 which doesn't typically result in being fired. There are plenty of other programs that I can think of that should be replacing their head coach before Providence. This is a sad decision. Good guy. Good coach. But maybe they want a great coach. Good luck to them finding that.
                        For sure, I don’t think Brown can just hand over their candidate list. But sometimes these things get out. I wouldn’t be surprised if people in the hockey community know who interviewed for the Brown job.

On the flip side of it, I wonder if applicants who were willing to take on the challenge of Brown, would also be interested in Providence.

Providence would be challenging in a different way, in that the new coach will be inheriting a program coming off a winning season, so expectations for immediate success would presumably be higher. Getting and staying to middle of the pack in the ECAC is probably a similar challenge to getting and staying in the middle of pack of HE. From the perspective of a Brown or Providence, winning either league is a great challenge, no difference there.
                        Last edited by Lindsay; 05-05-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

For sure, I don’t think Brown can just hand over their candidate list. But sometimes these things get out. I wouldn’t be surprised if people in the hockey community know who interviewed for the Brown job.

On the flip side of it, I wonder if applicants who were willing to take on the challenge of Brown, would also be interested in Providence.

Providence would be challenging in a different way, in that the new coach will be inheriting a program coming off a winning season, so expectations for immediate success would presumably be higher. Getting and staying to middle of the pack in the ECAC is probably a similar challenge to getting and staying in the middle of pack of HE. From the perspective of a Brown or Providence, winning either league is a great challenge, no difference there.
                          I believe that the challenge at Brown in terms of being middle of the pack or higher is WAY greater than Providence. Two reasons:
                          - Academics - the available pool of players for Brown is dramatically smaller than the available pool of players for Providence based on admissions requirements.
                          - School Interest - Brown could care less whether their women's hockey team has any success (obviously) as long as they don't embarrass the school itself (getting close with Digit Murphy and again currently). Brown in general doesn't place a high emphasis on their sports team success -- except for football and basketball because they generate alum contributions. Providence does care about the success of all of their athletic programs and will bend the academic requirements to get players in. Deraney had a lot of opportunity and support to get high quality players to Providence he just generally wasn't successful in the recent past. The new Providence coach will get support and funding to be successful, the Brown coach will be limited in that support.

Comment

Saw an article where Brian Idalski is going to be the new Girls Hockey Director and Coach at Culver Academy. That is good news for Culver. Hopefully, for them, he will stay for a while.

Comment

I believe that the challenge at Brown in terms of being middle of the pack or higher is WAY greater than Providence. Two reasons:
                              The new Providence coach will get support and funding to be successful, the Brown coach will be limited in that support.
                              I think what I was trying to say was whether you have to get past BC or Clarkson to win a conference championship, you have your work cut out for you. Certainly Brown has more work to do than Providence.

As for getting to the middle of the ECAC, if Brown can beat three Ivies and RPI and Union, they are middle of the pack. That’s not an unrealistic bar, when you consider other programs have down years etc. Hopefully the new coach can work on administration to get the support needed to be better than a perennial bottom dweller in a league. For all the excuses we make for the Ivies, they have a lot going for them and should be better than what Brown has been for the last very long while.

Edit: I know coaching has been a mess at Brown for a long time. With a good coach who can work on administration for support, as well as coach, Brown should be better than what they’ve been. I don’t see why the past has to dictate the future.
                              Last edited by Lindsay; 05-08-2018, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I think what I was trying to say was whether you have to get past BC or Clarkson to win a conference championship, you have your work cut out for you. Certainly Brown has more work to do than Providence.

As for getting to the middle of the ECAC, if Brown can beat three Ivies and RPI and Union, they are middle of the pack. That’s not an unrealistic bar, when you consider other programs have down years etc. Hopefully the new coach can work on administration to get the support needed to be better than a perennial bottom dweller in a league. For all the excuses we make for the Ivies, they have a lot going for them and should be better than what Brown has been for the last very long while.

Edit: I know coaching has been a mess at Brown for a long time. With a good coach who can work on administration for support, as well as coach, Brown should be better than what they’ve been. I don’t see why the past has to dictate the future.
                                The past doesn’t have to dictate the past but to change it has to come from the top and the academics running the college must value athletics enough to make it a priority. They haven’t had a president who was truly willing to support since Gregarian in the 90’s (Gee only had 2 years after so he might not have been bad but Simmons was a disaster). Individually I don’t see a young coach in a non revenue sport influencing them. If Whittet an alum hasn’t gotten the needed support in 9 years and is halfway out the door there needs to be a major cultural change

Providence right now is the opposite end of the spectrum. They have as noted emphasized success. Over the past 5-10 years they have replaced many coaches, starting with the big men’s sports and recently to revive a long dormant women’s basketball program. In one way I suspect Deraney’s downfall was in part due to being well paid compared to many of his contemporaries, yes also longevity, but also due to PC’s desire to win.

You wondered about Brown’s coaching candidates applying to PC. I’m sure some will wishfully apply. However recent track record says the AD fishes in an entirely different pond. Division 1 head coaching and winning there have been a prerequisite in his recent searches. They already budget in an above average pay. Money talks—the women b-ball Coach was brought on after 2 decades at St Bonaventure, Leaman was pulled away from a team set up for long term success at Union (the basis of a national champion was in place). To make this move I would venture a guess they are confident they can lure a coach with a winning track record away from a good program. At the least several coaches are going to leverage this into nice raises at their present school
                                Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Working...
                                X