Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 87

Thread: New D1 coaches needed?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,662

    New D1 coaches needed?

    Now that the season is over here is a list of schools I think could use new head coaches, by conference:

    CHA:

    1. RIT - a no-brainer here.
    2. Syracuse - yes, he did do very well at SLU.

    ECAC:

    1. Brown - we all saw this one coming.
    2. Dartmouth - this is maybe a bit premature but they'll get sick of her within two years.

    Hockey East:

    1. BU - things are getting stale there.
    2. UConn - little or no progress in spite of the team having a good showing at the end of the season.
    3. Vermont - not the guy to get the job done there although it's not the easiest place to attract good players to.

    WCHA:

    1. Minnesota State - not the guy to get the job done there either even though he's a 1980 Olympic legend. They should get rid of him and his gymnast friend and promote Shari to the head coach position.

    I'll post my D3 list tomorrow.

  2. #2
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    10,166
    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    2. UConn - little or no progress in spite of the team having a good showing at the end of the season.
    Lol what

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    140

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Lol what
    Agreed. UConn at least made it to their conference semi finals. Look at UNH. Zero improvement since Witt became head coach.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,662
    Quote Originally Posted by pucko View Post
    Agreed. UConn at least made it to their conference semi finals. Look at UNH. Zero improvement since Witt became head coach.
    Okay, then add UNH to list.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    380

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Now that the season is over here is a list of schools I think could use new head coaches, by conference:

    CHA:

    1. RIT - a no-brainer here.
    2. Syracuse - yes, he did do very well at SLU.

    ECAC:

    1. Brown - we all saw this one coming.
    2. Dartmouth - this is maybe a bit premature but they'll get sick of her within two years.

    Hockey East:

    1. BU - things are getting stale there.
    2. UConn - little or no progress in spite of the team having a good showing at the end of the season.
    3. Vermont - not the guy to get the job done there although it's not the easiest place to attract good players to.

    WCHA:

    1. Minnesota State - not the guy to get the job done there either even though he's a 1980 Olympic legend. They should get rid of him and his gymnast friend and promote Shari to the head coach position.

    I'll post my D3 list tomorrow.

    Shelfit trolling again? If we include all the coaches that finished pairwise below the top of her "to be fired" list, we would add
    Mercyhurst, UNH, Princeton, Bemidji, Quinny, Harvard, Merrimack, St. Cloud, Yale, Penn State, RPI, Lindenwood and Union.

    That's about 20 head coaches. Maybe 40 more assistant coaches.

    Got the resume ready?

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,662
    Quote Originally Posted by EastFan1 View Post
    Shelfit trolling again? If we include all the coaches that finished pairwise below the top of her "to be fired" list, we would add
    Mercyhurst, UNH, Princeton, Bemidji, Quinny, Harvard, Merrimack, St. Cloud, Yale, Penn State, RPI, Lindenwood and Union.

    That's about 20 head coaches. Maybe 40 more assistant coaches.

    Got the resume ready?
    Opining, not trolling (what does that even mean?). My list has nothing to do with pairwise or any other polls or rankings systems. I just think certain programs are getting stale, while others are more obviously based on win-loss records, etc. By all means go ahead and add your serious opinions on the topic because your additions in your post are just silly since some coaches are quite new at some of the programs you listed, which means you haven't put any thought or effort into your post. Tsk, tsk.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    28

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Being an ECAC fan....my two cents on coaches that need to change..
    Brown: no explanation needed (should have been done sooner). Time to get a winning attitude to go with that IVY education
    Dartmouth: I am willing to give them more time. Was an interesting start to the season, thought things would end up different this year with interim coach.
    RPI and Union: Hoping these coaches can make big strides in the next couple years
    Yale: flat-lined. always fighting to make playoffs....nice additions on assistant coaches last two years. Would love to see some new energy
    Harvard: the shine is gone...time to move on. (the shine left with Maura)
    QPac: tough year...thought they would be better...not sure what is going on there
    Princeton: Great first year for KM. seeing some good recruits showing up too so no one is backing away. also love the all female coaching staff.

    what can you say about the top 4? things are working...don't change a thing (nice addition of DJ at Cornell)


    I would love to see JK leave Vermont and fill a head coaching spot after being assistant/associate at 3 schools...any takers?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    9

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Quinnipiac was a top 8 program under the previous regime, certainly RC had issues. I would have hoped this coaching staff could have built on that?

    When you mention stale, that epitomizes Syracuse. After 8 plus years it is time for a new coaching staff to change the culture and build the program the right way. It would be interesting how quickly the results would improve. Could their be an announcement coming soon?

    UVM-been to numerous games there, the community will support them if they are competitive. Previous coach was not a poor communicator and this one is not much better.

  9. #9
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,099

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Where is the D3 list?

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    25

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Looks like RPI removed the "interim" from their current head coach...

    Any word on what is happening at Brown with their current search?

    Or others?

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    44

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Brown's new Head coach is Carisa Wahlig from Lake Forest.

  12. #12
    Really??!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great white north
    Posts
    1,886

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by knight7 View Post
    Brown's new Head coach is Carisa Wahlig from Lake Forest.
    Impressive they even updated the web site. Never understood why some places won't do that right away.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    What has happened with Quinnipiac, answer is Colgate, Uconn and Penn State have become better at recruiting than they used to be. Players don't want to come in and sit.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
    Being an ECAC fan....my two cents on coaches that need to change..
    Brown: no explanation needed (should have been done sooner). Time to get a winning attitude to go with that IVY education
    Dartmouth: I am willing to give them more time. Was an interesting start to the season, thought things would end up different this year with interim coach.
    RPI and Union: Hoping these coaches can make big strides in the next couple years
    Yale: flat-lined. always fighting to make playoffs....nice additions on assistant coaches last two years. Would love to see some new energy
    Harvard: the shine is gone...time to move on. (the shine left with Maura)
    QPac: tough year...thought they would be better...not sure what is going on there
    Princeton: Great first year for KM. seeing some good recruits showing up too so no one is backing away. also love the all female coaching staff.

    what can you say about the top 4? things are working...don't change a thing (nice addition of DJ at Cornell)


    I would love to see JK leave Vermont and fill a head coaching spot after being assistant/associate at 3 schools...any takers?
    JK!!??? Are you kidding me? She is NOT fit to be a D1 coach. A very negative reputation in New England re: recruiting. Has been very unprofessional at times. Far more interested in talking about herself and how great a player she is/was then the players she is recruiting. Have you ever wondered why she has moved schools so frequently recently and ended up in the wilderness at UVM?

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by knight7 View Post
    Brown's new Head coach is Carisa Wahlig from Lake Forest.
    Interesting choice. Certainly a WAY better choice than the previous coach - she has at least had head coaching success, has recruiting contacts, and is relatively well thought of as a D3 recruiter. I would think she has a reasonable chance to make Brown better (better, not good. It will likely be a long time before they are good again after the mess they've made the last few years and what was left behind).

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,662
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    JK!!??? Are you kidding me? She is NOT fit to be a D1 coach. A very negative reputation in New England re: recruiting. Has been very unprofessional at times. Far more interested in talking about herself and how great a player she is/was then the players she is recruiting. Have you ever wondered why she has moved schools so frequently recently and ended up in the wilderness at UVM?
    Wow, those are some interesting comments about her. Do you have a personal grudge or something?!

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,662
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    Interesting choice. Certainly a WAY better choice than the previous coach - she has at least had head coaching success, has recruiting contacts, and is relatively well thought of as a D3 recruiter. I would think she has a reasonable chance to make Brown better (better, not good. It will likely be a long time before they are good again after the mess they've made the last few years and what was left behind).
    I was a bit surprised by this choice but she is a former D1 player herself and she's paid her dues and learned a lot as a D3 head coach at a private school with a very good academic reputation. Obviously she's a way better choice than the guy she's replacing, although that's not really much of a compliment to her. She's inheriting a mess and it's going to take her four to five years to even become competitive in my opinion. I wish her the best.
    Last edited by shelfit; 05-04-2018 at 01:02 PM.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    612

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Bob Deraney out at PC

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,662
    Quote Originally Posted by WIrinkrat View Post
    Bob Deraney out at PC
    In fact all women's hockey coaches listed as TBA on their staff directory list. That first round playoff loss to lowly UConn probably cost him his job.
    Last edited by shelfit; 05-04-2018 at 05:07 PM.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,323

    Re: New D1 coaches needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    That first round playoff loss to lowly UConn probably cost him his job.
    That "lowly" Connecticut did go 1-1-2 on the season against mighty BC, so they were at least capable of playing pretty well.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •