Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018-19 DIII Commitments

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
    Bad news for Castleton: Salerno just resigned to return to Middlebury as an assistant coach.

Don’t know the background but this will hurt Castleton.
    So what's going on at Castleton that everyone is leaving so soon? Low pay? Or is it there something in the culture within the athletic department causing their head coaches to stray? Could it just be pure bad luck that everybody finds a specific circumstance causing them to leave fairly abruptly?

Turning to Middlebury, does this mean Salerno is a head coach in waiting? Mandigo has been coaching since 1983, at Middlebury since 1988. He's won multiple national championships and numerous conference championships. I wonder if they're organizing succession...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
      So what's going on at Castleton that everyone is leaving so soon? Low pay? Or is it there something in the culture within the athletic department causing their head coaches to stray? Could it just be pure bad luck that everybody finds a specific circumstance causing them to leave fairly abruptly?

Turning to Middlebury, does this mean Salerno is a head coach in waiting? Mandigo has been coaching since 1983, at Middlebury since 1988. He's won multiple national championships and numerous conference championships. I wonder if they're organizing succession...
      I think it’s just a string of bad coincidences. Moberg had always wanted to go D1. Stayed at Castleton for 2 years then jumped to Merrimack. Fimiani was way in over his head and good on the AD to realize that.

It’s no secret that Mandigo is a huge Salerno fan (and with good reason) my understanding is that she’s the coach in waiting.

Comment

I think it’s just a string of bad coincidences. Moberg had always wanted to go D1. Stayed at Castleton for 2 years then jumped to Merrimack. Fimiani was way in over his head and good on the AD to realize that.

It’s no secret that Mandigo is a huge Salerno fan (and with good reason) my understanding is that she’s the coach in waiting.
        Jim Plumer gets some negative commentary on this board, but his teams have generated a lot of coaches in women's hockey - Salerno, Meghan Gillis, Marissa O'Neil, Tracy Johnson, Chris Cobb, and some others I'm forgetting. He's done women's hockey some service in this area.

I do think that it is a little weird that Mandigo is picking Salerno when there are some qualified Middlebury alums (he has also produced some coaches) who would probably be interested in the job....

Comment

Here are some additional commitments:

Adrian
          Annalise Andrews - F - Belle Tire
          Kenzie D'Ascenzo - F - Belle Tire
          Emily Stemple - F - Honeybaked
          Julia Barrett - D - Honeybaked

Amherst
          Angelina Wiater - D - Belle Tire

Nazareth
          Kyla Thompson - F - Meijer AAA

St. Mary's
          Jordan Modjeski - F - Honeybaked

Suffolk
          Haley Poloskey - F - Honeybaked
          Payton Dockus - F - Honeybaked
          Madison Duff - D - Honeybaked

SUNY Canton
          Maggie Convery - F - Meijer AAA

SUNY Morrisville
          Kate Powell - F - Meijer AAA

SUNY Oswego
          Emily Gustafson - F - Honeybaked
          Skylar Byrne - F - Honeybaked

SUNY Potsdam
          Stevie Dunlap - F - Meijer AAA

Comment

SUNY Morrisville
            Margaux Mameri - G - HTI Stars

Comment

Moe Tsukimoto-F-Sapporo, JPN-Northwood
              A little international flavor coming to Plattsburgh in the fall.... from the hockey hotbed of Japan!!! プラッツバーグへようこそ (Google's translation for "Welcome to Plattsburgh")
              Steve
              Penn State Class of '95
              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                A little international flavor coming to Plattsburgh in the fall.... from the hockey hotbed of Japan!!! プラッツバーグへようこそ (Google's translation for "Welcome to Plattsburgh")
                With her old teammates from Northwood and her having attended Northwood making her more familiar with the region than even many American students Plattsburgh attracts, it is my hope with that she won't have as much culture shock as one might worry about with a non-North American recruit. She may also benefit from Plattsburgh having an active club called JCAP on campus. They're the Japanese Cultural Association of Plattsburgh, and they do a lot of events (many in conjunction with the other culture-based clubs on campus). Also, Club International, the GEO and the SA sponsor the Miss International pageant every year, so there's also the possibility she'll represent Japan one of her years on campus.

Plattsburgh does as well as any of the so-called "Comprehensive College"-level institutions in the SUNY system in terms of attracting and supporting international students (and not just the Canadians on the hockey teams )

Comment

With her old teammates from Northwood and her having attended Northwood making her more familiar with the region than even many American students Plattsburgh attracts, it is my hope with that she won't have as much culture shock as one might worry about with a non-North American recruit. She may also benefit from Plattsburgh having an active club called JCAP on campus. They're the Japanese Cultural Association of Plattsburgh, and they do a lot of events (many in conjunction with the other culture-based clubs on campus). Also, Club International, the GEO and the SA sponsor the Miss International pageant every year, so there's also the possibility she'll represent Japan one of her years on campus.

Plattsburgh does as well as any of the so-called "Comprehensive College"-level institutions in the SUNY system in terms of attracting and supporting international students (and not just the Canadians on the hockey teams )
                  Castleton: Ryanne Mix right handed D. Let’s hope Salerno worked her magic on the incoming recruits before resigning!

https://www.wwfha.com/news_article/show/902033

Comment

Castleton: Ryanne Mix right handed D. Let’s hope Salerno worked her magic on the incoming recruits before resigning!

https://www.wwfha.com/news_article/show/902033
                    Also from the Washington Wild:

Trine
                    Natasha Strbiak - D

This Washington Wild club lists 2 more players in the Class of 2018 I'm curious if they are playing somewhere next fall. They have a Canadian forward with 48 points and an offensive defenseman from NJ (why the hell is she all the way out there?) who has 16 points but 74 penalty minutes...
                    Last edited by Scott_TG; 05-21-2018, 07:46 PM.

Comment

She was? Which program? Because looking back Northwood's college counselor first tweeted about her going to Plattsburgh in late January...
                      D1 from Northwoods? Bit of a stretch but sure.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                        D1 from Northwoods? Bit of a stretch but sure.
                        Um, can you say Blake Bolden or Kelley Steadman?!?! Just two examples of "not a stretch at all." Oh, and it's Northwood, not Northwoods.
                        Last edited by shelfit; 05-23-2018, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          Um, can you say Blake Bolden or Kelley Steadman?!?! Just two examples of "not a stretch at all." Oh, and it's Northwood, not Northwoods.
                          Kelley is from Plattsburgh. Went to Northwood for Hockey.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

ya, whatever team has been irrelevant for years. any half decent club team has twice the talent, and ummm the school is a total joke as an academic institution, but i guess you know best. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                              ya, whatever team has been irrelevant for years. any half decent club team has twice the talent, and ummm the school is a total joke as an academic institution, but i guess you know best. lol.
                              Well using that type of logic I guess it's easy to say that the majority of college teams have been irrelevant for years. And how many of those colleges are also an academic joke?! I do know best because my original response was to the post questioning D1 players coming from Northwood. I could care less whether you think Northwood is a good school or not. Like most schools, I'm sure the people that went there enjoyed it and possibly even loved it, and there's a good possibility that they would challenge your opinion. But now I guess you know best. LMAO!

Comment

Well using that type of logic I guess it's easy to say that the majority of college teams have been irrelevant for years. And how many of those colleges are also an academic joke?! I do know best because my original response was to the post questioning D1 players coming from Northwood. I could care less whether you think Northwood is a good school or not. Like most schools, I'm sure the people that went there enjoyed it and possibly even loved it, and there's a good possibility that they would challenge your opinion. But now I guess you know best. LMAO!
                                Correct, I do know best. I suppose many years ago the school's hockey team was relevant. But those days are long gone and not coming back. Oh and yes, the academics are great. lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X