Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    Everyone is looking at this incorrectly. 3 former CCHA teams are in the Frozen Four. Clearly, the CCHA is the best conference ever. So good, that even without existing, it's teams have gone 6-0 so far in the NCAA tournament.
    You are my hero for the day today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      You are correct. The first year it was possible to have 3 teams from the same conference in the Frozen Four was 1981, when the tournament was expanded to 8 teams. This year is just the fifth time since then that three teams from one conference have made the Frozen Four:
      1981 - WCHA 3: Wisconsin (champion), Minnesota (runner-up), Michigan Tech (4th)
      1992 - CCHA 3: Lake Superior (champion), Michigan (semifinalist), Michigan State (semifinalist)
      1999 - HEA 3: Maine (champion), New Hamphire (runner-up), Boston College (semifinalist)
      2005 - WCHA 4: Denver (champion), North Dakota (runner-up), Colorado College (semifinalist), Minnesota (semifinalist)
      2018 - B1G 3: Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan

Sean
      1978 with the (in)famous BU/Providence playin game? That would have been 3 ECAC.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
        Everyone is looking at this incorrectly. 3 former CCHA teams are in the Frozen Four. Clearly, the CCHA is the best conference ever. So good, that even without existing, it's teams have gone 6-0 so far in the NCAA tournament.
        That is awesome. The CCHA lives on!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          1978 with the (in)famous BU/Providence playin game? That would have been 3 ECAC.
          Frozen 6

Half The Field!!!
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Wasn't "infamous" to me! I thought it was great! (and they proved they belonged there, too)

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              You are correct. The first year it was possible to have 3 teams from the same conference in the Frozen Four was 1981, when the tournament was expanded to 8 teams. This year is just the fifth time since then that three teams from one conference have made the Frozen Four:
              1981 - WCHA 3: Wisconsin (champion), Minnesota (runner-up), Michigan Tech (4th)
              1992 - CCHA 3: Lake Superior (champion), Michigan (semifinalist), Michigan State (semifinalist)
              1999 - HEA 3: Maine (champion), New Hamphire (runner-up), Boston College (semifinalist)
              2005 - WCHA 4: Denver (champion), North Dakota (runner-up), Colorado College (semifinalist), Minnesota (semifinalist)
              2018 - B1G 3: Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan

Sean
              Michigan Tech was 3rd in 1981, they defeated NMU 5-2 in the consolation game.

And since Wisconsin vacated their appearance in 1992, you could technically say that all the teams in that year were from the same conference...

Comment

This is also the 5th time that all four teams are from the West.

1981 - Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan
                1984 - Bowling Green, Minnesota-Duluth, Michigan State, North Dakota
                1992 - Lake Superior State, Wisconsin (vacated), Michigan State, Michigan
                2005 - Denver, North Dakota, Minnesota, Colorado College
                2018 - Minnesota-Duluth, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan

The East has two years with 3 teams (1990 and 1999) but has never had all four in the same season.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

The East has two years with 3 teams (1990 and 1999) but has never had all four in the same season.
                  It looks like my my idea of completely ignoring the East worked out once again. those bus schools are cute, but can't keep up with real hockey schools.
                  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                  Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Because the NCHC and the B1G are relatively new, I think it all depends on how far back you want to go, i.e. what's your criteria for determining "the best conference"?
                    Exactly, because people want to strategically pick certain years to fit their data sets and act like there is/will be a be-all/end-all conference of the sport. All this banter between B1G and NCHC i think HE needs more representation as all both conferences are doing is belittling the east
                    I wanna go fast!

Comment

• Originally posted by Happy View Post
                      It looks like my my idea of completely ignoring the East worked out once again. those bus schools are cute, but can't keep up with real hockey schools.
                      On the other hand, they don’t need to put quotes around the word “school”...

Comment

• Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                        Exactly, because people want to strategically pick certain years to fit their data sets and act like there is/will be a be-all/end-all conference of the sport. All this banter between B1G and NCHC i think HE needs more representation as all both conferences are doing is belittling the east
                        I respect Hockey East.
                        National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
                        National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                          I respect Hockey East.
                          I'm too drained to get involved in this right now. Give me a few months to recuperate...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            I'm too drained to get involved in this right now. Give me a few months to recuperate...
                            At least you guys have the Yankees.
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

The east had 3 in 1985, 1991, 2000, 2013 FWIW.
                              Last edited by johnk; 03-26-2018, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                                I respect Hockey East.
                                I was really hoping this thread would end at Schmitty’s post. Good job all!
                                I wanna go fast!

Comment

Working...
                                X