Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

Clearly, the B10 is the conference of the year. Hard to argue against that.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-25-2018, 10:33 PM.

Comment

The Big Ten is the top conference this year. Anyone trying to say otherwise isn't paying attention or is plain ignorant.
      Most victories- Minnesota (1,526)

Most Tourney Victories- Minnesota (49)

30 tourney appearances

19 frozen fours

16 straight post season victories ended on 3-28-04 by tUMD. (This sig was edited for BC06!)

Comment

Originally posted by mngopherguy View Post
        The Big Ten is the top conference this year. Anyone trying to say otherwise isn't paying attention or is plain ignorant.
        I think most probably know it but they're just too stubborn to admit it.
        National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
        National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Maybe it is...but a league that Notre Dame clinched with several weeks to go is going to have skeptics.
          OSU and MI are playing well at the moment and have for a few weeks now...well done by them.
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by mngopherguy View Post
            It is pretty amazing that 4 of its 7 teams - more than half - made the NCAA Tournament, and it could/should have easily been 5 of 7 teams, with Minnesota narrowly missing by just .0001 in the Pairwise. But with "just" 4 of its 7 teams in the Tourney, to have 3 advance to the Frozen Four is quite remarkable.

I do think that most B1G fans would acknowledge that there's some degree of luck involved here...a bounce here or a save there could have easily changed things. Then again I suppose that's what makes these scenarios quite remarkable: to have 3 of 4 teams in the FF may not repeat itself - for any conference - for who knows how many years.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I'm curious what criteria posters are using to rank conferences (regular season, single elimination, PWR, etc.)? Against the NCHC during the regular season, the B1G overall were below .500 @ 5-8-2 (.400). If single elimination is the criteria as to which conference has performed better this season, statistically that's going to be problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                It is pretty amazing that 4 of its 7 teams - more than half - made the NCAA Tournament, and it could/should have easily been 5 of 7 teams, with Minnesota narrowly missing by just .0001 in the Pairwise. But with "just" 4 of its 7 teams in the Tourney, to have 3 advance to the Frozen Four is quite remarkable.

I do think that most B1G fans would acknowledge that there's some degree of luck involved here...a bounce here or a save there could have easily changed things. Then again I suppose that's what makes these scenarios quite remarkable: to have 3 of 4 teams in the FF may not repeat itself - for any conference - for who knows how many years.
                .0002 inc. the tiebreaker.

Comment

Don’t want to be optimistic because this doesn’t feel like a banner year like 20111 or 2017. But we’re here. In 2011 UMD couldn’t beat UND for the life of them. UND lost to Michigan, ‘Dogs won it all.. Here we are this year when UMD can not win a single game against DU, DU loses and...
                  Although that year they only needed one more win this year they need 2. OSU was tough last year even tougher this year. Mel Pierce is a hellofa coach too.

I think winner comes out of the west, and at least I hope. UMD-ND rematch of 2011 semis, UMD-UM rematch of 2011 championship, or OSU-UM would all be big. I just don’t want to see ND win because they really didn’t deserve to beat Tech, and of course a UM win is no good either

And I’m still sticking with Hockey East is the best conference
                  Last edited by UMD21; 03-25-2018, 11:48 PM.
                  I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                    And I’m still sticking with Hockey East is the best conference
                    Because the NCHC and the B1G are relatively new, I think it all depends on how far back you want to go, i.e. what's your criteria for determining "the best conference"?
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

OOC Ranking 2017-18

1) Big Ten: 53-20-5 (.712)
                      2) NCHC: 50-24-15 (.646)
                      3) Hockey East: 51-48-11 (.514)
                      4) ECAC: 44-54-17 (.457)
                      5) WCHA: 20-38-7 (.362)
                      6) Atlantic Hockey: 21-42-6 (.348)
                      7) D-I Independent: 8-21-5 (.309)

While this might be "relatively" the best criteria without an in-depth analysis, it's also subject to debate.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                        OOC Ranking 2017-18

1) Big Ten: 53-20-5 (.712)
                        2) NCHC: 50-24-15 (.646)
                        3) Hockey East: 51-48-11 (.514)
                        4) ECAC: 44-54-17 (.457)
                        5) WCHA: 20-38-7 (.362)
                        6) Atlantic Hockey: 21-42-6 (.348)
                        7) D-I Independent: 8-21-5 (.309)

While this might be "relatively" the best criteria without an in-depth analysis, it's also subject to debate.
                        Go year by year, with turnover and such, and given the stats (sorry Mark Twain ) the B1G is the best this year.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

I believe Notre Dame may be the first program to appear in back-to-back Frozen Fours as a member of different conferences. Michigan has also now appeared in the Frozen Four as a representative of 4 different conferences (WIHL, WCHA, CCHA, and B1G). I don't believe any other program has accomplished that feat.
                          few indeed. not many hockey sluts anymore
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Just got back from the Midwest Regional and all I can say about this thread is I'm laughing derisively!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              to have 3 of 4 teams in the FF may not repeat itself - for any conference - for who knows how many years.
                              How about all four teams like 2005 when MN, UND, DU and CC were all in it. That was quite epic.
                              National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

Everyone is looking at this incorrectly. 3 former CCHA teams are in the Frozen Four. Clearly, the CCHA is the best conference ever. So good, that even without existing, it's teams have gone 6-0 so far in the NCAA tournament.
                                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Working...
                                X