Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

I wonder if this is the year where gopher fans start to buy into the new conference.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      You may be correct. However, the B1G will have to put together more performances like this season before anyone (outside of the B1G fans of course) will buy into their dominance. One year doesn't necessarily equate a trend. After all, the B1G hadn't put anyone in the Frozen Four the last three seasons. Heck, even with putting in 3 this season, they still rank third for conferences in Frozen Four appearances since realignment (NCHC: 8, Hockey East: 5, B1G: 4, ECAC: 3).

That being said, it is pretty definitive that this season, the B1G was the best conference in college hockey. Barring a couple of upsets, the conference should also earn its first national title. Again, congrats...very impressive results this weekend.
      The king of backhanded compliments. Yawn.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
        You’ve been saying this every season since realignment and for the first time you may be right!!!!!! Congrats Davey on the season! Lol, maybe now instead of spending such unhealthy amount of time talking about the NCHC, you can focus on talking about the team you allegedly cheer for?

PS If UMD wins it all, prepare for flak!
        As soon as obnoxious blowhard fans stop building the NCHC up to be something more than it actually is, I will stop spending such unhealthy amount of time talking about them. Speaking of spending unhealthy amounts of time talking about certain conferences, what's up with the amount of Big Ten talk among UND fans on their message board over the course of the last five years?
        National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
        National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Not sure there can be any such thing as a "dominant" conference in today's day and age. Expansion of the game geographically (and more schools recruiting internationally) has brought more parity. When it was a more regional sport, tradition played a huge part as kids went to the schools with great local pedigree. Sure, there will be "runs" for each conference, but that goes in cycles. For a long time the WCHA was dominant. In the 90's and early 2000s it was Hockey East. The ECAC got a couple in there. Same with NCHC (but they haven't been around long enough to establish a track record). B1G has had a great year this year. But even so, if ND doesn't win in OT and Michigan doesn't get a puck bouncing off the back boards, over the net to their player who taps it in, they may have only had one team in the FF. It's an unpredictable game and in a one and done scenario I think it takes a larger sample size, meaning years and years, to determine "dominance."

Comment

Yeah, the NCHC has had 2 each of the last 3 seasons. I don't think anyone has had 3 since the WCHA put in 4 in 2005 (DU, North Dakota, CC, and Minnesota).
            You are correct. The first year it was possible to have 3 teams from the same conference in the Frozen Four was 1981, when the tournament was expanded to 8 teams. This year is just the fifth time since then that three teams from one conference have made the Frozen Four:
            1981 - WCHA 3: Wisconsin (champion), Minnesota (runner-up), Michigan Tech (4th)
            1992 - CCHA 3: Lake Superior (champion), Michigan (semifinalist), Michigan State (semifinalist)
            1999 - HEA 3: Maine (champion), New Hamphire (runner-up), Boston College (semifinalist)
            2005 - WCHA 4: Denver (champion), North Dakota (runner-up), Colorado College (semifinalist), Minnesota (semifinalist)
            2018 - B1G 3: Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan

Sean
            Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-25-2018, 08:54 PM.
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
              Get used to it. I hate the fact the old WCHA is dead, but the future is the Big Ten, not some mid-major like the nachos.
              Those mid-majors have made mince-meat out of the big10 the past three seasons. I'm fine with the old WCHA being dead... us nacho lovers have had it pretty **** good since realignment. I'm glad to see you weren't one of the goofer fans jumping off the I35 bridge when someone read the final RPI results to you.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                Those mid-majors have made mince-meat out of the big10 the past three seasons. I'm fine with the old WCHA being dead... us nacho lovers have had it pretty **** good since realignment. I'm glad to see you weren't one of the goofer fans jumping off the I35 bridge when someone read the final RPI results to you.
                As a Gopher fan, I too am fine with the old WCHA being dead. I'm happy to not have to slum around with Division II and I-AA schools.
                National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
                National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                  As soon as obnoxious blowhard fans stop building the NCHC up to be something more than it actually is, I will stop spending such unhealthy amount of time talking about them. Speaking of spending unhealthy amounts of time talking about certain conferences, what's up with the amount of Big Ten talk among UND fans on their message board over the course of the last five years?
                  Sounds like you will be stuck in a vicious cycle then, cause as long as you keep going, others will too. As to your question, I think you’d have a better take on that since you usually are right in the thick of the discussions you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    You are correct. The first year it was possible to have 3 teams from the same conference in the Frozen Four was 1981, when the tournament was expanded to 8 teams. This year is just the fifth time since then that three teams from one conference have made the Frozen Four:
                    1981 - WCHA 3: Wisconsin (champion), Minnesota (runner-up), Michigan Tech (4th)
                    1992 - CCHA 3: Lake Superior (champion), Michigan (semifinalist), Michigan State (semifinalist)
                    1999 - HEA 3: Maine (champion), New Hamphire (runner-up), Boston College (semifinalist)
                    2005 - WCHA 4: Denver (champion), North Dakota (runner-up), Colorado College (semifinalist), Minnesota (semifinalist)
                    2018 - B1G 3: Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan

Sean
                    Good summary Sean. It also doesn't look good for Minnesota Duluth. In 3 of the previous 4 instances where a conference got at least 3 teams in the Frozen Four, it was an intra-conference championship tilt (unsurprisingly).

I get that a lot of B1G fans want to gloat about their conference's success this season, as they should...but can we just all agree that we will all cheer in unison against Michigan?
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

...even with putting in 3 this season, they still rank third for conferences in Frozen Four appearances since realignment (NCHC: 8, Hockey East: 4, B1G: 3, ECAC: 3, Notre Dame Mercenaries 2).
                      Fixed your post.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                        As a Gopher fan, I too am fine with the old WCHA being dead. I'm happy to not have to slum around with Division II and I-AA schools.
                        Those schools that the Gophers can't beat...
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                          That is what we have been hearing for the last 4 years, even before the new conferences started play... What is that saying about a blind squirrel finding a nut every now and again? No doubt the big10 has had a good year but being a dominate conference comes from more than just the most recent year's results. BTW, Ohio dominated an outstanding DU team tonight... that was impressive.
                          I forgot to mention Minnesota. I'm sure whoever the new coach is will get them on track soon.
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Good summary Sean. It also doesn't look good for Minnesota Duluth. In 3 of the previous 4 instances where a conference got at least 3 teams in the Frozen Four, it was an intra-conference championship tilt (unsurprisingly).

I get that a lot of B1G fans want to gloat about their conference's success this season, as they should...but can we just all agree that we will all cheer in unison against Michigan?
                            Yes, although one time it was guaranteed. And I'm not sure how Michigan lost in 1992, since according to the NCAA they didn't even play anyone!

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                              Hahaha! Their football team would probably be more successful slumming it with DII and I-AA. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                                Can't beat? I seem to recall they won the WCHA in each of the last two years that they were in it. Try again.

23 > 21

Comment

Working...
                                X