Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

(Comrade Fox)

Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

None of the Big Ten teams that will make the NCAA tournament won a game against a tournament team in OOC.

-Notre Dame lost and tied to Denver, their best win was #19 Omaha and includes a loss to #49 Sacred Heart at home
    -Penn State lost to Clarkson, their best win was #23 Mercyhurst and includes a loss to #44 AIC.
    -Ohio State didn't play anyone, their best win was #34 UConn and includes zero wins in two tries at home against #58 RPI.
    -Michigan lost to Clarkson, their best win was #48 Vermont and includes a loss to #50 Ferris State. I'm not counting the Sparty game in the GLI because they're conference opponents.

The only team in the Big Ten that DID beat a conference team in OOC - Minnesota's sweep of Clarkson - is the last team out.

This is a joke. I get that scheduling cupcakes is the easy way to get to the tournament, but something needs to be done to encourage competitive OOC scheduling and not "just get a bad team and beat them easily"
    Last edited by TovarishchLisa; 03-17-2018 at 10:06 PM.
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

UVM record in games I've attended as a student:

Men's: 21-20-4
    Women's: 10-15-4

/r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
    None of the Big Ten teams that will make the NCAA tournament won a game against a tournament team in OOC.

-Notre Dame lost and tied to Denver, their best win was #19 Omaha and includes a loss to #49 Sacred Heart at home
    -Penn State lost to Clarkson, their best win was #23 Mercyhurst and includes a loss to #44 AIC.
    -Ohio State didn't play anyone, their best win was #34 UConn and includes zero wins in two tries at home against #58 RPI.
    -Michigan lost to Clarkson, their best win was #48 Vermont and includes a loss to #50 Ferris State. I'm not counting the Sparty game in the GLI because they're conference opponents.

The only team in the Big Ten that DID beat a conference team in OOC - Minnesota's sweep of Clarkson - is the last team out.

This is a joke. I get that scheduling cupcakes is the easy way to get to the tournament, but something needs to be done to encourage competitive OOC scheduling and not "just get a bad team and beat them easily"
    And now that you've spewed that childish rant, sit back and watch all four of them beat a tournament team next weekend.

Big Ten : Best conference in college hockey!!!
    National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
    National championships won by NCHC schools : 19 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, Colorado College 2, MN-Duluth 1, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 19

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post
    Might not be there yet, but definitely headed in that direction.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Falling on fans at NHC since 2001

The Gophers out of conference was the absolute last thing that cost them an NCAA bid

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Might not be there yet, but definitely headed in that direction.
    Agreed. Fan of the NCHC and can't help but to think the Big Ten is becoming one of the better conferences in the nation.

The "My team was screwed!" thread doesn't start until AFTER the selection show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender14 View Post
    Agreed. Fan of the NCHC and can't help but to think the Big Ten is becoming one of the better conferences in the nation.
    Thank you for being objective. Too bad I can't say the same for most other NCHC fans.
    National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
    National championships won by NCHC schools : 19 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, Colorado College 2, MN-Duluth 1, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 19

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    The "My team was screwed!" thread doesn't start until AFTER the selection show.
    Does the committee still try to screw the WCHA? How does that work with all of the realignment?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

there's a good buck in that racket.

I get that scheduling cupcakes is the easy way to get to the tournament, but something needs to be done to encourage competitive OOC scheduling and not "just get a bad team and beat them easily"
    you are missing the forest for the trees. teams need to schedule as many home games as possible for ooc. it all comes down to $$$ and finding 'cupcakes' to travel is what ends up getting games on the calendar.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Big Ten isn't the best conference yet. It's getting closer but it had nowhere else to go. Nothing against the rules in who they scheduled, it was enough to get in, but let's see what happens when the dust settles.

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Does the committee still try to screw the WCHA? How does that work with all of the realignment?
    Indeed. Once again they made sure there will be no all-WCHA Frozen Four.

Cale Saves

Notre Dame and Penn State originally scheduled and OOC series, but that obviously canceled. I think Notre Dame replaced them with ASU or UAH last minute.

Wait one week.
    Notre Dame Hockey
    Reigning Big Ten Champions
    Reigning CCHA Champions
    Hockey East Lineal Champions

Holding court

On another note, it's nice to see a conference bad enough that Notre Dame could join up and finally start having some success in the postseason again. Good for those little leprechauns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

not particularly bad

Eastern bias!! None of the Hockey East teams in the tournament won a single non-conference game against another tournament team.

This selective statistic stuff is fun. Let's continue: Duluth went 1-2 against non-conference tourney teams. SCSU 1-1-2 (at least they didn't lose to Princeton). We won't talk about Denver, 'cause that doesn't help my NaCHo is terrible argument.

Let's be honest here - We're not talking about the whole Big. We're talking about Penn State and Ohio State. And there's really no defending their non-con scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Indeed. Once again they made sure there will be no all-WCHA Frozen Four.
    Hockey East either.

G3RSTY7

What a stupid time to complain. Just let them play. And OSU doesnít have anything they need to prove they were tough last year they can be tough this year

Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    Eastern bias!! None of the Hockey East teams in the tournament won a single non-conference game against another tournament team.

This selective statistic stuff is fun. Let's continue: Duluth went 1-2 against non-conference tourney teams. SCSU 1-1-2 (at least they didn't lose to Princeton). We won't talk about Denver, 'cause that doesn't help my NaCHo is terrible argument.
    Northeastern won an Out Of Conference game against bu

Falling on fans at NHC since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post
    And now that you've spewed that childish rant, sit back and watch all four of them beat a tournament team next weekend.

Laughable. Denver is going to steamroll Pedo State

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Laughable. Denver is going to steamroll Pedo State
    Best matchup of the 1st round, could very easily go either way. If they played 10 times I'm quite confident each team would win 5, but in a 1 game scenario anything can happen. I'll say this much... between those two teams and Ohio State the Midwest is by far the toughest of the four regionals.

23 > 19

Thread Information