Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 295

Thread: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

  1. #101
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,838

    Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    OOC Ranking 2017-18

    1) Big Ten: 53-20-5 (.712)
    2) NCHC: 50-24-15 (.646)
    3) Hockey East: 51-48-11 (.514)
    4) ECAC: 44-54-17 (.457)
    5) WCHA: 20-38-7 (.362)
    6) Atlantic Hockey: 21-42-6 (.348)
    7) D-I Independent: 8-21-5 (.309)

    While this might be "relatively" the best criteria without an in-depth analysis, it's also subject to debate.
    Go year by year, with turnover and such, and given the stats (sorry Mark Twain ) the B1G is the best this year.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  2. #102
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post


    I believe Notre Dame may be the first program to appear in back-to-back Frozen Fours as a member of different conferences. Michigan has also now appeared in the Frozen Four as a representative of 4 different conferences (WIHL, WCHA, CCHA, and B1G). I don't believe any other program has accomplished that feat.
    few indeed. not many hockey sluts anymore

  3. #103
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,539

    Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

    Just got back from the Midwest Regional and all I can say about this thread is I'm laughing derisively!

  4. #104
    Craving Championchips
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    St. Francis, MN
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    to have 3 of 4 teams in the FF may not repeat itself - for any conference - for who knows how many years.
    How about all four teams like 2005 when MN, UND, DU and CC were all in it. That was quite epic.
    National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

  5. #105
    not particularly bad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Yost ice arena
    Posts
    9,078

    Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

    Everyone is looking at this incorrectly. 3 former CCHA teams are in the Frozen Four. Clearly, the CCHA is the best conference ever. So good, that even without existing, it's teams have gone 6-0 so far in the NCAA tournament.

  6. #106
    Roll along you BG Warriors!
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    404

    Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    Everyone is looking at this incorrectly. 3 former CCHA teams are in the Frozen Four. Clearly, the CCHA is the best conference ever. So good, that even without existing, it's teams have gone 6-0 so far in the NCAA tournament.
    You are my hero for the day today.

  7. #107

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    You are correct. The first year it was possible to have 3 teams from the same conference in the Frozen Four was 1981, when the tournament was expanded to 8 teams. This year is just the fifth time since then that three teams from one conference have made the Frozen Four:
    1981 - WCHA 3: Wisconsin (champion), Minnesota (runner-up), Michigan Tech (4th)
    1992 - CCHA 3: Lake Superior (champion), Michigan (semifinalist), Michigan State (semifinalist)
    1999 - HEA 3: Maine (champion), New Hamphire (runner-up), Boston College (semifinalist)
    2005 - WCHA 4: Denver (champion), North Dakota (runner-up), Colorado College (semifinalist), Minnesota (semifinalist)
    2018 - B1G 3: Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan

    Sean
    1978 with the (in)famous BU/Providence playin game? That would have been 3 ECAC.

  8. #108
    Gold Medal Homebrewer
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Da UP eh!
    Posts
    127

    Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    Everyone is looking at this incorrectly. 3 former CCHA teams are in the Frozen Four. Clearly, the CCHA is the best conference ever. So good, that even without existing, it's teams have gone 6-0 so far in the NCAA tournament.
    That is awesome. The CCHA lives on!!!

  9. #109
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,196
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    1978 with the (in)famous BU/Providence playin game? That would have been 3 ECAC.
    Frozen 6

    Half The Field!!!

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    3,681

    Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    1978 with the (in)famous BU/Providence playin game? That would have been 3 ECAC.
    Wasn't "infamous" to me! I thought it was great! (and they proved they belonged there, too)

  11. #111
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Enjoying the arrival of the Jeff Sauer Trophy in 2018
    Posts
    2,769

    Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    You are correct. The first year it was possible to have 3 teams from the same conference in the Frozen Four was 1981, when the tournament was expanded to 8 teams. This year is just the fifth time since then that three teams from one conference have made the Frozen Four:
    1981 - WCHA 3: Wisconsin (champion), Minnesota (runner-up), Michigan Tech (4th)
    1992 - CCHA 3: Lake Superior (champion), Michigan (semifinalist), Michigan State (semifinalist)
    1999 - HEA 3: Maine (champion), New Hamphire (runner-up), Boston College (semifinalist)
    2005 - WCHA 4: Denver (champion), North Dakota (runner-up), Colorado College (semifinalist), Minnesota (semifinalist)
    2018 - B1G 3: Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan

    Sean
    Michigan Tech was 3rd in 1981, they defeated NMU 5-2 in the consolation game.

    And since Wisconsin vacated their appearance in 1992, you could technically say that all the teams in that year were from the same conference...

  12. #112
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Enjoying the arrival of the Jeff Sauer Trophy in 2018
    Posts
    2,769

    Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

    This is also the 5th time that all four teams are from the West.

    1981 - Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan
    1984 - Bowling Green, Minnesota-Duluth, Michigan State, North Dakota
    1992 - Lake Superior State, Wisconsin (vacated), Michigan State, Michigan
    2005 - Denver, North Dakota, Minnesota, Colorado College
    2018 - Minnesota-Duluth, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan

    The East has two years with 3 teams (1990 and 1999) but has never had all four in the same season.

  13. #113
    Registered User Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,308

    Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

    Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    This is also the 5th time that all four teams are from the West.

    1981 - Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan
    1984 - Bowling Green, Minnesota-Duluth, Michigan State, North Dakota
    1992 - Lake Superior State, Wisconsin (vacated), Michigan State, Michigan
    2005 - Denver, North Dakota, Minnesota, Colorado College
    2018 - Minnesota-Duluth, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan

    The East has two years with 3 teams (1990 and 1999) but has never had all four in the same season.
    It looks like my my idea of completely ignoring the East worked out once again. those bus schools are cute, but can't keep up with real hockey schools.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


    The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

    this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

  14. #114
    I got the juice
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Adams County, CO
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Because the NCHC and the B1G are relatively new, I think it all depends on how far back you want to go, i.e. what's your criteria for determining "the best conference"?
    Exactly, because people want to strategically pick certain years to fit their data sets and act like there is/will be a be-all/end-all conference of the sport. All this banter between B1G and NCHC i think HE needs more representation as all both conferences are doing is belittling the east

  15. #115
    How Bout that Pep Band?
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    It looks like my my idea of completely ignoring the East worked out once again. those bus schools are cute, but can't keep up with real hockey schools.
    On the other hand, they don’t need to put quotes around the word “school”...

  16. #116
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by UMD21 View Post
    Exactly, because people want to strategically pick certain years to fit their data sets and act like there is/will be a be-all/end-all conference of the sport. All this banter between B1G and NCHC i think HE needs more representation as all both conferences are doing is belittling the east
    I respect Hockey East.

  17. #117
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    3,681

    Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post
    I respect Hockey East.
    I'm too drained to get involved in this right now. Give me a few months to recuperate...

  18. #118
    Registered User Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,308

    Re: Big Ten Out of Conference is a joke

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    I'm too drained to get involved in this right now. Give me a few months to recuperate...
    At least you guys have the Yankees.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


    The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

    this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

  19. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Niskayuna, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    This is also the 5th time that all four teams are from the West.

    1981 - Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan
    1984 - Bowling Green, Minnesota-Duluth, Michigan State, North Dakota
    1992 - Lake Superior State, Wisconsin (vacated), Michigan State, Michigan
    2005 - Denver, North Dakota, Minnesota, Colorado College
    2018 - Minnesota-Duluth, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan

    The East has two years with 3 teams (1990 and 1999) but has never had all four in the same season.
    The east had 3 in 1985, 1991, 2000, 2013 FWIW.
    Last edited by johnk; 03-26-2018 at 04:06 PM.

  20. #120
    I got the juice
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Adams County, CO
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post
    I respect Hockey East.
    I was really hoping this thread would end at Schmitty’s post. Good job all!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •