Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who will be the NC$$ Champ?

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Since we're suddenly in the off-season for Women's Hockey, how about a story or two from your days on campus? I've been to Potsdam once, but I'll but many on the board have never made it.

You could tell us what the rink is like, your favorite game, best place for a post-game pizza or beverage, and so on. With the 2018 title, Clarkson has a moment in the limelight. Educate & Entertain Us!

To get the puck moving, I've got a Clarkson memory from a couple of decades ago. The Clarkson Men's Hockey team played a series here in Columbus. The best of the Golden Knights was a player by the name of Todd White. Had a chance to briefly chat with Todd after one of the games. Great player, even better person. I've had a positive impression of Clarkson ever since.

Dishing the puck off to vicb...
    This could be fun...87-91...Walker Arena - best seat in the house was on the railing, holding the support beams (goal line section)! Place got loud, and always full. Best memories....The bell, Sergi's Pizza, HUGOOOOO BELANGER!! and the NCAA series against Wisconsin @Walker. LSSU series was great too...listening on the radio. :-D Heckling the SLU goalie..Les Kuntar! Worst memory...the semi-final against BU - flat and just a terrible game.
    Golden Knights Roundtable

Comment

All three of you make positive contributions and make USCHO a better place.
      I haven't been able to muster up any hatred of Clarkson, in part because its fans are so easy to like.

I agree -- congrats to the Golden Knights on their championship run, and to all the players who competed so well this weekend.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        that part bears repeating
        You agreeing with someone only damages the other person's reputation because of yours....

And to whoever hit the reputation button, Colgate is NOT my team .... I am merely impressed by their coaching, players, and success.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Vic and I share something in common -- we were present for the only season (73-74) that Clarkson missed the ECAC playoffs.

All my games took place in Walker (Clarkson) Arena. A bandbox. 185x80. 4 or 5 rows on the sides and high end zones. Faculty had one end (Section 1), and the students had the other (Section 8). The building was loud.

Notable games- Freshman year v Harvard. Ron Dorgan broke Dan Bolduc's leg. Bolduc got his revenge the following year with a hat trick against us in the ECAC QF. Was an ugly game. bottles got thrown on the ice.

My favorite game(s). Junior year (75-76), CCT v SLU. Had a brawl or two and Dave Taylor ended it all in OT.

Senior year. CCT v UNH. Battle for #1 in the nation. We won 8-6. What a night.

I had a horrible stutter in HS & college. One night the hockey player who was supposed to be the scorekeeper & announcer didn't show up and for some reason known only to God and Joe Bushy, rink director John Sertwatka asked me to do it. I did and stopped the horrible stutter. Occasionally I'd clutch (particularly on "h" words), but it disappeared.

I ended up doing PA for the JV and fledgling women's club team (Frazier's Blazers). That was my intro to CCT women's hockey.

When we started the women's varsity team I was concerned that the level of support for the men's team would go down as we have finite $$s available and where was the level of support to make the women's team viable would have to come from somewhere.

Happily, I was very wrong.
          I was in Broome Community College (Now SUNY Broome) for my Fr & Soph yrs (Could not afford the $6-7K tuition Room & Board for a place like Clarkson). All I knew about Clarkson (For give me tech fans) was when Cornell (I was a big fan of the Big Red Hockey) would play them in hockey and on Sunday there would be a replay of the games on TV in Binghamton. Any way one of my buddies at Broome had a girl friend who was going to SUNY Potsdam and he invited me to go up with him to visit Clarkson as he was going there for his Jr and Sr year of school (but really to be with his girl friend). We went up, me by bus and he hitch hiked (got a ticket for doing it). Stayed with some of his friends at a Frat house and I was hooked on the school (really on the drinking) . Hockey season had ended unfortunately before we went up. Managed to get half of my tuition paid on a scholarship and the rest is history. My buddy and I were roommates our Jr year and then he became an RA his senior year. I stayed for a year extra to get my Masters (really to be with my girlfriend at the time and now my wife of 42 years). Left there in summer of 75.

My Junior year Jerry York had just taken over for Len Ceglarski. The first 2 Clarkson hockey games my Jr year were against the U of Quebec, 13-0 and 12-0 wins . Had a 11-5 record, went out to Wisconsin and lost 2 games and our 2nd leading scorer to injury and limped in with a 5-7 record. Made the playoffs and pulled a huge upset in the ECAC QF 7-4 over Hahvad. Went to Boston the next week and got absolutely smashed by Cornell 9-4 in the ECAC semi's. My senior year as Joe said was the only time Clarkson ever missed the ECAC Playoffs. My senior year and grad year were both losing records for the men and after that they would not have a losing record for another 28 seasons. Those were the days to watch games if you liked goal scoring. 10 goals or more combined were the norm, not the 1-0,3-2, 4-3 games we have today.

Walker Arena what a place to watch a game as Joe said. You had to stand in line for an hour or so outside the arena in the bitter cold and snow if you wanted your choice of seating. And then when you got in the place you froze your arse off until the arena filled up and the over head heaters (the few there were along the sides) came on. I remember one game I was sitting behind the Clarkson bench. From your shoulders up you were above the glass behind the bench. One of the players was ****ed off at something that happened on the ice and he came in and slammed the shaft of his stick against the glass where I was standing and I caught the butt end of his stick just below my eye. Had a shiner there for a few days.

There were more less than stellar games my times there. My favorites were any time we beat SLU, RPI or Cornell (I was no longer a Cornell fan). My grad year the last game against Vermont, Clarkson needed to win it to make the playoffs. I still remember Dave Taylor scoring the ENG to clinch the game and get us in the playoffs. Everyone went crazy. Unfortunately they were drilled by Hahvad 10-5 in the ECAC QF Game the next weekend.

I remember the Hahvad game where our guy took a slap shot from the point, the puck zipped in hit the mid point of the net down low (The nets were shaped a bit different then than now) and came out immediately, the red light came on and the referee called no goal, said the puck did not go in that it hit the post. Of coarse there was not video replay those days. The crowd went nuts and started throwing empty glass pint bottles of whiskey (kept you warm) on the ice.

After graduation I would follow the mens team as best as I could from Maryland. I would go up to Penn and Princeton when they played there. Still do the Princeton trip but now my wife and I do 2 trips, one for the men and one for the women. I also every few years have tried to make a road trip to see the men or women. You mentioned that Clarkson men played at Ohio State one year. My wife and I were there for that series. Played at I think the Schottenstein Center. Way too big for the crowd that was there. Mike Walsh was the goalie for Clarkson. I remember one of the Buckeye skaters brushed by Walsh and he went down like the kid shot him. The Buckeye skater was called for the penalty. After the game talking to Mike when asked about the play he just winked his eye. I have also made it to the Kohl Center at Wisco for the men.

I do make it up to Potsdam every few years to see a game and try to make it when both the men and women are home. This year saw Penn State/Michigan men and Bemidji women. Did a road trip to Penn State to see the women as well as my Princeton trips. Unfortunately illness issues with my wife and I have kept us from attending a women's frozen 4. One of my big regrets. So we will now have to make a trip up to Potsdam to see the latest hardware.

About 5 years into the women's program, one of my buddies and I were talking about the men's and women's programs. Just like Joe, he was worried that the women's Program would be draining funds from the men and impact the men's program. He and I both longed (and still do) for the men to win a National Championship and I said to him, " you know, I will bet you if Clarkson ever does win a championship in hockey, it will be the women before the men." So 10 years later the women have proven my statement to be prophetic 3 times now. I still hold out that one of these years the stars will all align and the men will finally win one. In the mean time, my wife is a hockey widow on weekends in the winter as I watch or listen to most of the Clarkson mens and womens games and spend my time on USCHO . I actually like the womens game more. Too much physicality in the mens game.
          Last edited by vicb; 03-20-2018, 01:55 PM.
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            All my games took place in Walker (Clarkson) Arena. A bandbox. 185x80. 4 or 5 rows on the sides and high end zones. Faculty had one end (Section 1), and the students had the other (Section 8). The building was loud.
            Sounds like the pre-renovations OSU Ice Rink. We used tell people that our ice surface was the same size as Chicago Stadium or Boston Garden. IIRC, the Ice Rink was only 1.5 feet narrow, meaning 83.5 feet wide. But it was definitely short. My memory isn't clear but I think it was 187 feet long. So you had us beat, but only by a smidge.

Notable games- Freshman year v Harvard. Ron Dorgan broke Dan Bolduc's leg. Bolduc got his revenge the following year with a hat trick against us in the ECAC QF. Was an ugly game. bottles got thrown on the ice.

My favorite game(s). Junior year (75-76), CCT v SLU. Had a brawl or two and Dave Taylor ended it all in OT.

Senior year. CCT v UNH. Battle for #1 in the nation. We won 8-6. What a night.
            Great stuff. Years ago, our Men's Team swept a Lake Superior State team that went on to win a National Title. This year, our Women's team swept Wisconsin at home. Obviously those Badgers didn't win the Title, but they were rated either #1 or #2 at the time. Those kind of memories will always be cherished.

I had a horrible stutter in HS & college. One night the hockey player who was supposed to be the scorekeeper & announcer didn't show up and for some reason known only to God and Joe Bushy, rink director John Sertwatka asked me to do it. I did and stopped the horrible stutter. Occasionally I'd clutch (particularly on "h" words), but it disappeared.

I ended up doing PA for the JV and fledgling women's club team (Frazier's Blazers). That was my intro to CCT women's hockey.
            Awesome story. Very glad you got that opportunity. A different kind of miracle on ice!

When we started the women's varsity team I was concerned that the level of support for the men's team would go down as we have finite $$s available and where was the level of support to make the women's team viable would have to come from somewhere.

Happily, I was very wrong.
            Again, same experience. I don't think our Women's Program has hurt Men's Hockey one bit. It has brought some new people into the mix. Some of the rest of us watch more hockey. I'll admit, with two hockey teams to follow, I rarely watch hoops anymore. But I'm thinking that OSU Basketball will survive just fine without me.

Originally posted by miker View Post
            This could be fun...87-91...Walker Arena - best seat in the house was on the railing, holding the support beams (goal line section)! Place got loud, and always full. Best memories....The bell, Sergi's Pizza...
            OK, tell me all about Sergi's Pizza. I missed out on that because the rest of the family insisted on the Gluten-Free Bakery, by the Bookstore.

And while you're at it, share the tradition of "The Bell."

... HUGOOOOO BELANGER!!
            ... Obviously another story that needs telling.

and the NCAA series against Wisconsin @Walker. LSSU series was great too...listening on the radio. :-D
            Was Frank Anzalone coaching Lake State at the time? Wherever Frank was coaching, the great stories just seemed to follow naturally. I'll never forget the third period when Anzalone switched goalies at least a half dozen times, apparently for the short delay each substitution caused. Once the pattern was established, the Buckeye crowd starting chanting "Switch! Switch! Switch!" after every whistle. Several more times Coach Anzalone delighted the crowd by accommodating the request.

... Heckling the SLU goalie..Les Kuntar! Worst memory...the semi-final against BU - flat and just a terrible game.
            More stories, please.

Comment

vic,

I enjoyed your full post! May have some more to add later. For now, a couple of quick takes...

Originally posted by vicb View Post
              ...Walker Arena what a place to watch a game as Joe said. You had to stand in line for an hour or so outside the arena in the bitter cold and snow if you wanted your choice of seating. And then when you got in the place you froze your arse off until the arena filled up and the over head heaters (the few there were along the sides) came on. I remember one game I was sitting behind the Clarkson bench. From your shoulders up you were above the glass behind the bench. One of the players was ****ed off at something that happened on the ice and he came in and slammed the shaft of his stick against the glass where I was standing and I caught the butt end of his stick just below my eye. Had a shiner there for a few days.
              It was certainly a different time. Pretty sure today's coaches & players are under much stricter orders not to have such "interactions" with the crowd!

... I also every few years have tried to make a road trip to see the men or women. You mentioned that Clarkson men played at Ohio State one year. My wife and I were there for that series. Played at I think the Schottenstein Center. Way too big for the crowd that was there. Mike Walsh was the goalie for Clarkson. I remember one of the Buckeye skaters brushed by Walsh and he went down like the kid shot him. The Buckeye skater was called for the penalty. After the game talking to Mike when asked about the play he just winked his eye.
              Also a fine series. But the one I mentioned came at an earlier point in time. Todd White's Golden Knights were pre-1999, and thus played at the OSU Ice Rink.

Of course you're right about the Schott. That was probably before they curtained off the upper deck, which has made things a little better. It's still an issue, however.

Comment

1991 #4 East Clarkson at #1 West (&#1 overall) Lake State NCAA QF. Please forgive the misspellings.

https://people.clarkson.edu/~cupband/history.html#four
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

OK, tell me all about Sergi's Pizza. I missed out on that because the rest of the family insisted on the Gluten-Free Bakery, by the Bookstore.

Sergi's has been around forever. Your typical family pizza and spaghetti place.

Downtown Potsdam and Clarkson today are way different than in the 70's. In the 70's the hill campus had the dorms and you went to class by walking or driving across the Racquette River to the classrooms just off to the side of the main down town area. More bars than anything else down town. On the weekends you go downtown to drink, listen to Double Axle (I wonder if that band is still playing there), dance with the girls from Potsdam State to "Stairway to Heaven" , play pool and sometimes get into fights with a rival fraternity. I remember one time I was downtown in a bar with a few of my fraternity brothers. Really crowded. Some guy comes in who was drunk as a skunk with a few guys and he is carrying a metal ball on a chain. He was obviously having one hell of a bachelor party. As I said it was crowded, the guy bumps into and said something to one of my brothers girlfriend, my brother said something to him and of coarse the kid hits my brother in the head with the ball. All hell breaks loose with all of us wanting to kill the kid. Somehow they get the kid out of the bar, I'm not even sure how and my brother ends up in the ER with a concussion.

Now classes are up on the hill with the dorms. Very few bars downtown.
                  Last edited by vicb; 03-20-2018, 06:32 PM.
                  Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                  And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                  WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                  If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                    Sergi's has been around forever. Your typical family pizza and spaghetti place.

Downtown Potsdam and Clarkson today are way different than in the 70's. In the 70's the hill campus had the dorms and you went to class by walking or driving across the Racquette River to the classrooms just off to the side of the main down town area. More bars than anything else down town. On the weekends you go downtown to drink, listen to Double Axle (I wonder if that band is still playing there), dance with the girls from Potsdam State to "Stairway to Heaven" , play pool and sometimes get into fights with a rival fraternity. I remember one time I was downtown in a bar with a few of my fraternity brothers. Really crowded. Some guy comes in who was drunk as a skunk with a few guys and he is carrying a metal ball on a chain. He was obviously having one hell of a bachelor party. As I said it was crowded, the guy bumps into and said something to one of my brothers girlfriend, my brother said something to him and of coarse the kid hits my brother in the head with the ball. All hell breaks loose with all of us wanting to kill the kid. Somehow they get the kid out of the bar, I'm not even sure how and my brother ends up in the ER with a concussion.

Now classes are up on the hill with the dorms. Very few bars downtown.
                    All these years I've known you, you never told me you were in a fraternity. I hope you weren't fighting with my brothers.
                    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                    7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Since we're suddenly in the off-season for Women's Hockey, how about a story or two from your days on campus? I've been to Potsdam once, but I'll but many on the board have never made it.

You could tell us what the rink is like, your favorite game, best place for a post-game pizza or beverage, and so on. With the 2018 title, Clarkson has a moment in the limelight. Educate & Entertain Us!

To get the puck moving, I've got a Clarkson memory from a couple of decades ago. The Clarkson Men's Hockey team played a series here in Columbus. The best of the Golden Knights was a player by the name of Todd White. Had a chance to briefly chat with Todd after one of the games. Great player, even better person. I've had a positive impression of Clarkson ever since.

Dishing the puck off to vicb...
                      Todd White was a great ambassador for Clarkson hockey and the epitome of student athlete. He was a bit behind me in school, but because I adopted a double major, I actually ended up in a project group with him in my senior year. He was smart, never skirted out on anything because he was playing or on a road trip, etc. He used the bus trips as times to study and get work done.

As far as the Clarkson experience goes, my brethren here have explained a lot about the Walker Arena, the awesome former home of our Golden Knights. I first visited Potsdam in 1991 and while on campus, I got to see the opening of Cheel Arena and a Clarkson win over Boston College. Cheel is a beautiful arena and can be very loud, although it's very stale like most new arenas; definitely not Walker's aura and mystique. It's a well designed arena, allowing everyone to be close and there isn't a bad spot in the house to see a game. In it's heyday, we'd pack in 3400 or 3500 every night. After playing in the pep band for a couple of years, I was forced to leave, mainly because I was working 3 jobs to get enough money to pay my expenses. I also was a member of the Potsdam Rescue Squad, a source of another of my fond memories of Cheel (although rather graphic). In 1995, Clarkson and SLU had a quarterfinal playoff series at Cheel. Craig Conroy made a big hit on one of the SLU players, causing a compound fracture to his leg. We had to get the kid off the ice and bring him to the hospital.

My fondest memories of Clarkson hockey and what I think makes it different from a lot of the big schools is how close the campus is as a group. The guys who played hockey when I was there were top level players, in some of the most successful seasons in their history. However, they didn't really walk around like big men on campus. They'd talk with you, hang out with you, and remember your name. They'd sit down and have a beer with you at the bar (if of age and out of season, of course). To this day, I'll run into guys that played during my time there and they'll remember me by name and have a conversation. That small town atmosphere is what attracted me to Clarkson and what keeps me going back there over 20 years after graduation.
                      Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                      10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                      5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                      21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                      ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                      ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                      7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                      National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

My final salute to the 2018 Frozen Four.

A Salute to the 2018 Women’s Frozen Four

It was a Friday in Minneapolis
                        To the Ridder Arena they came
                        Four teams on a mission
                        Only one would win their last game

Clarkson was number one
                        The Ohio State stood in their way
                        A goaltending dual was played
                        By Tiley and Sauve

A Buckeye goal in Regulation
                        A laser shot by Jincy Dunn
                        But the referee called a penalty
                        The Buckeyes did not lead by one

Back and forth into overtime
                        Who would be the hero
                        Pejzlova to Giguere to Gable
                        Clarkson wins by one to zero

Wisconsin was the number two seed
                        A victory would make their fans dance
                        Colgate was number three
                        They did not stand a chance

But Colgate was on a mission
                        On Sunday they wanted to play
                        And meet the Champions Clarkson
                        For an all ECAC day

The goals went back and forth
                        Regulation ended three to three
                        In OT Wilson-Bennett scored
                        Colgate wins, whoopeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sunday in Minnesota they met
                        An NCAA title on the line
                        For Clarkson number three
                        Colgate their first would be fine

The first goal was scored by Vinkle
                        And Clarkson was in the lead
                        But Schneider tied it in the second
                        Zafuto with a beautiful feed.

One to one was the score
                        Another goaltending dual being played
                        Vandyk and Tiley were on
                        The goal scorers were dismayed

To overtime they battled
                        Who would score the next one
                        Elizabeth Giguere of Clarkson
                        Goal number two and Colgate was done

To Colgate, Wisconsin and The Ohio State
                        I salute your dedication and play
                        And to the coaches of these fine women
                        A championship may come some day

To my Golden Knights I have followed
                        Since the beginning in 2004
                        Thank you Thank you Thank you
                        Each year you make my spirits soar.

Matt, Britini and Tony
                        You are the coaching staff supreme
                        And the women of Clarkson hockey
                        You are the meaning of the word team
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies from the Clarkson posters. Good to get to know you better. Hope we can meet on the ice again soon.

Busy day today; will check back tonight...

Comment

Clarkson grad as well here. (late 80's). More details on the bell at Walker arena over the entrance to the ice for the visiting team (I think it was the TEK fraternity that was in charge of ringing that thing). at the start and end of each period that thing would br rung right over them as the entered/exited the ice...From my visits...i see the bell made it to cheel, but sadly it does not get rung. I agree that the players were one of us back then. They were in the dorms with us and in the same classes.
                            Last edited by MAHOCKEY FAN; 03-21-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

My Best (and worst) Walker Arena memory is the 1981 NCAA Quarterfinals against Wisconsin. Clarkson College of Technology (CCT) the ECAC regular season champion was the #1 seed in the East and was arguably the #1 ranked team in the country with a 26–6–3 record. This was back when only 8 teams made the tourney and the quarterfinals were a 2 game aggregate series at the higher seeds rink, with the winners going to the semifinals in Duluth.
                              CCT who hadn't made the NCAA's since 1970 was #1 in the East played #4 in the west Wisconsin, who received an at-large bid for finishing tied for second in the WCHA.
                              CCT could score in bunches and thought they had finally found a reliable goalie in freshman Don Sylvestri. But some cracks had shown in their ECAC tourney loss to Providence.
                              In game 1 Walker arena was packed to the rafters & Clarkson pummeled the Wisconsin net, but goaltender Marc Behrend stood on his head and UW won game1 3-2, shocking the Golden Knights.
                              Game 2 was a classic, Wisconsin constantly answering every Clarkson goal and Behrend making key saves in the end to preserve a 6-6 tie, giving UW a 9-8 aggregate win.
                              Wisconsin ended up easily beating Michigan Tech and then Minnesota in the final to take the title. Marc Behrend was the tourney MOP.
                              Last edited by rochnycsc; 03-21-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rochnycsc View Post
                                My Best (and worst) Walker Arena memory is the 1981 NCAA Quarterfinals against Wisconsin. Clarkson College of Technology (CCT) the ECAC regular season champion was the #1 seed in the East and was arguably the #1 ranked team in the country with a 26–6–3 record. This was back when only 8 teams made the tourney and the quarterfinals were a 2 game aggregate series at the higher seeds rink, with the winners going to the semifinals in Duluth.
                                CCT who hadn't made the NCAA's since 1970 was #1 in the East played #4 in the west Wisconsin, who received an at-large bid for finishing tied for second in the WCHA.
                                CCT could score in bunches and thought they had finally found a reliable goalie in freshman Don Sylvestri. But some cracks had shown in their ECAC tourney loss to Providence.
                                In game 1 Walker arena was packed to the rafters & Clarkson pummeled the Wisconsin net, but goaltender Marc Behrend stood on his head and UW won game1 3-2, shocking the Golden Knights.
                                Game 2 was a classic, Wisconsin constantly answering every Clarkson goal and Behrend making key saves in the end to preserve a 6-6 tie, giving UW a 9-8 aggregate win.
                                Wisconsin ended up easily beating Michigan Tech and then Minnesota in the final to take the title. Marc Behrend was the tourney MOP.
                                I remember that series. Was talking with a buddy of mine who followed college hockey before that series. His comment to me was that Wisconsin deserved a higher seed in the West and that the National Championship would be decided by the winner of this series. He was spot on. That 1981 team was arguably the best in the history of Clarkson. Three All Americans in Bryan Cleaver, Ed Small and Sylvestri along with Steve Cruickshank the ECAC leading scorer & All American the following year. Sylvestri, Small and Cruickshank all made the 1980's ECAC All Decade Team.
                                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

Working...
                                X