• Colgate

10 31.25%
  • I don't like Eastern teams so I don't care

2 6.25%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who will be the NC$$ Champ?

Re: Who will be the NC$$ Champ?

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    Giguere's goal was #1 on the ESPN Sportscenter Top 10 plays. A nice advertisement for Women's College Hockey.
    http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22825585

Quote Originally Posted by miker View Post
    I could watch that all day! Dynasty!!!

Some records set or tied by Clarkson's 2018 NC$$ Champions:

Since the NC$$ Tournament went to 8 teams in 2005

Fewest Goals Scored in 3 games by the Champion: 5
    Old Record 2006 Wisconsin: 6

Winning Margin in 3 games by the Champion: GF5 - GA2 =3
    Tied with 2010 Minn Duluth GF8 GA5

Frozen 4 Records including 2001 thru 2004

Fewest Goals Scored in the Frozen 4 by the Champion: 3
    Old Record 2006 Wisconsin: 4

Winning Margin in Frozen 4 By the Champion: GF3-GA1=2
    Tied with 2002 and 2010 Minn Duluth GF6-GA4
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

The Clarkson bookstore did not have much faith in Colgate.

https://m.bkstr.com/ProductDisplay?u...storeId=165404

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    The Clarkson bookstore did not have much faith in Colgate.

https://m.bkstr.com/ProductDisplay?u...storeId=165404
    Ha ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    . . .
    A few of you "Eastern fans" are so tightly wrapped and so bloody defensive that anything but glowing praise all the time for your Eastern teams meets with your irrational fact free wrath. I was expressing my objective opinion of what I saw but you took that and blew it all out of proportion. I'm now a sanctimonious condescending WCHA fan when nothing could be further from the truth. Look in the mirror to see who is sitting perched up on their high horse.

Fortunately, the majority of Eastern fans compensate for the few that always seem so bent on confrontation on this board.

And to help you get a few more facts straight I will tell you that "my" team was sitting at home, as you so accurately pointed out, because that's exactly where they deserved to be. I am no less objective about "my beloved team" than I am about yours. If you've read any of my posts over the years you would probably know that and you could have saved yourself this embarrassment. I guess you also missed my post two days ago after Gabel's winning OT goal vs OSU about her holding a clinic for "my beloved team" to show them how it's really done. But why would you want to let facts get in the way of your ridiculous insulting rant? . . .
    that part bears repeating

Let's go Tech!

Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Sincere congratulations to vicb, joecct & FireKnight. And if I've missed any Clarkson posters, congratulations to you as well.

Obviously I'm sorry OSU fell just short on Friday. But you guys are part of a great program -- truly a Champion that all of college hockey can be proud of.

Well done, Clarkson!
    Don't congratulate us, congratulate the girls. For that matter, congratulate all 80 or so of the ladies that competed this weekend. They all showed us what sports should be about, no individualism, no holding out for contracts, no other b.s. Just 80 girls giving it their all on the ice and we were lucky enough to be witnesses. There isn't one lady on any of these 4 teams that shouldn't hold her head high. I'd watch these women and the olympians play every day over the spoiled millionaires in pro sports.
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
    7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by FireKnight View Post
    Don't congratulate us, congratulate the girls. For that matter, congratulate all 80 or so of the ladies that competed this weekend. They all showed us what sports should be about, no individualism, no holding out for contracts, no other b.s. Just 80 girls giving it their all on the ice and we were lucky enough to be witnesses. There isn't one lady on any of these 4 teams that shouldn't hold her head high. I'd watch these women and the olympians play every day over the spoiled millionaires in pro sports.
    Fair response; and of course you're correct. The show is on the ice, and there were 80+ Stars in this weekend's show.

In contrast, what we do here on the board doesn't even qualify as a sideshow. And yet, it's a lot of fun for those of us who participate. All three of you make positive contributions and make USCHO a better place. If you can't accept congratulations, at least accept a quick thanks.

Fair response; and of course you're correct. The show is on the ice, and there were 80+ Stars in this weekend's show.

In contrast, what we do here on the board doesn't even qualify as a sideshow. And yet, it's a lot of fun for those of us who participate. All three of you make positive contributions and make USCHO a better place. If you can't accept congratulations, at least accept a quick thanks.
    I will gladly take the congrats and a congrats back to you and your team.

I must say that this board sometimes can be a LOL side show. Other times people get too serious.

I started following Women's hockey some 15 years ago when Clarkson started its womens program as a Div I Sport. I have been a mens supporter since 1972. On the womens side it has been one great ride for every year of this program.

My signature is now updated and I look forward to another fascinating 15 years, win or lose I will enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by vicb; 03-19-2018 at 11:05 PM.
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

I will gladly take the congrats and a congrats back to you and your team.
    OK, now we're getting somewhere!

I must say that this board sometimes can be a LOL side show. Other times people get too serious.
    In the good times, it's a true hot stove league: Helpful info, interesting opinions, celebrations, commiseration. In the bad times... well, it's the internet.

I started following Women's hockey some 15 years ago when Clarkson started its womens program as a Div I Sport. I have been a mens supporter since 1972. On the womens side it has been one great ride for every year of this program.

My signature is now updated and I look forward to another fascinating 15 years, win or lose I will enjoy the ride.
    I also started at the beginning for our Women's D-1 program. In our case, the first year was 1999-2000. On the OSU Men's Hockey side, I can claim a Home Game as early as 1987.

I also started at the beginning for our Women's D-1 program. In our case, the first year was 1999-2000. On the OSU Men's Hockey side, I can claim a Home Game as early as 1987.
    The first Gopher hockey game I attended would have been sometime in the 59-60 season when my older brother was a freshman at the U of M. I remember seeing the big kid Oscar Mahle from the Falls play then. My older cousin told me recently that when he played in high school at Harding in the 50's the Falls came down and scrimmaged them. The Falls won something like 10 to 0 and he said there wasn't a player on Harding's team that wanted to get in front of one of Mahle's slap shots.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-20-2018 at 12:00 AM. Reason: The Zumwinkle of the 50's?

I have been a mens supporter since 1972.
    If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter! Sorry, one of my favorite movie quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by DDad16 View Post
    If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter! Sorry, one of my favorite movie quotes.
    LOL. Good one. I am not now or have I ever been an athlete. Love to play all the major sports growing up for fun with my friends. When I went to Clarkson, it was the first time I ever ice skated and after those years it was the last time.
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

...When I went to Clarkson, it was the first time I ever ice skated and after those years it was the last time.
    Since we're suddenly in the off-season for Women's Hockey, how about a story or two from your days on campus? I've been to Potsdam once, but I'll but many on the board have never made it.

You could tell us what the rink is like, your favorite game, best place for a post-game pizza or beverage, and so on. With the 2018 title, Clarkson has a moment in the limelight. Educate & Entertain Us!

To get the puck moving, I've got a Clarkson memory from a couple of decades ago. The Clarkson Men's Hockey team played a series here in Columbus. The best of the Golden Knights was a player by the name of Todd White. Had a chance to briefly chat with Todd after one of the games. Great player, even better person. I've had a positive impression of Clarkson ever since.

Dishing the puck off to vicb...

Vic and I share something in common -- we were present for the only season (73-74) that Clarkson missed the ECAC playoffs.

All my games took place in Walker (Clarkson) Arena. A bandbox. 185x80. 4 or 5 rows on the sides and high end zones. Faculty had one end (Section 1), and the students had the other (Section 8). The building was loud.

Notable games- Freshman year v Harvard. Ron Dorgan broke Dan Bolduc's leg. Bolduc got his revenge the following year with a hat trick against us in the ECAC QF. Was an ugly game. bottles got thrown on the ice.

My favorite game(s). Junior year (75-76), CCT v SLU. Had a brawl or two and Dave Taylor ended it all in OT.

Senior year. CCT v UNH. Battle for #1 in the nation. We won 8-6. What a night.

I had a horrible stutter in HS & college. One night the hockey player who was supposed to be the scorekeeper & announcer didn't show up and for some reason known only to God and Joe Bushy, rink director John Sertwatka asked me to do it. I did and stopped the horrible stutter. Occasionally I'd clutch (particularly on "h" words), but it disappeared.

I ended up doing PA for the JV and fledgling women's club team (Frazier's Blazers). That was my intro to CCT women's hockey.

When we started the women's varsity team I was concerned that the level of support for the men's team would go down as we have finite $$s available and where was the level of support to make the women's team viable would have to come from somewhere.

Happily, I was very wrong.

Since we're suddenly in the off-season for Women's Hockey, how about a story or two from your days on campus? I've been to Potsdam once, but I'll but many on the board have never made it.

You could tell us what the rink is like, your favorite game, best place for a post-game pizza or beverage, and so on. With the 2018 title, Clarkson has a moment in the limelight. Educate & Entertain Us!

To get the puck moving, I've got a Clarkson memory from a couple of decades ago. The Clarkson Men's Hockey team played a series here in Columbus. The best of the Golden Knights was a player by the name of Todd White. Had a chance to briefly chat with Todd after one of the games. Great player, even better person. I've had a positive impression of Clarkson ever since.

Dishing the puck off to vicb...
    This could be fun...87-91...Walker Arena - best seat in the house was on the railing, holding the support beams (goal line section)! Place got loud, and always full. Best memories....The bell, Sergi's Pizza, HUGOOOOO BELANGER!! and the NCAA series against Wisconsin @Walker. LSSU series was great too...listening on the radio. :-D Heckling the SLU goalie..Les Kuntar! Worst memory...the semi-final against BU - flat and just a terrible game.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

All three of you make positive contributions and make USCHO a better place.
    I haven't been able to muster up any hatred of Clarkson, in part because its fans are so easy to like.

I agree -- congrats to the Golden Knights on their championship run, and to all the players who competed so well this weekend.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    that part bears repeating
    You agreeing with someone only damages the other person's reputation because of yours....

And to whoever hit the reputation button, Colgate is NOT my team .... I am merely impressed by their coaching, players, and success.

Vic and I share something in common -- we were present for the only season (73-74) that Clarkson missed the ECAC playoffs.

All my games took place in Walker (Clarkson) Arena. A bandbox. 185x80. 4 or 5 rows on the sides and high end zones. Faculty had one end (Section 1), and the students had the other (Section 8). The building was loud.

Notable games- Freshman year v Harvard. Ron Dorgan broke Dan Bolduc's leg. Bolduc got his revenge the following year with a hat trick against us in the ECAC QF. Was an ugly game. bottles got thrown on the ice.

My favorite game(s). Junior year (75-76), CCT v SLU. Had a brawl or two and Dave Taylor ended it all in OT.

I had a horrible stutter in HS & college. One night the hockey player who was supposed to be the scorekeeper & announcer didn't show up and for some reason known only to God and Joe Bushy, rink director John Sertwatka asked me to do it. I did and stopped the horrible stutter. Occasionally I'd clutch (particularly on "h" words), but it disappeared.

I ended up doing PA for the JV and fledgling women's club team (Frazier's Blazers). That was my intro to CCT women's hockey.

When we started the women's varsity team I was concerned that the level of support for the men's team would go down as we have finite $$s available and where was the level of support to make the women's team viable would have to come from somewhere.

I was in Broome Community College (Now SUNY Broome) for my Fr & Soph yrs (Could not afford the $6-7K tuition Room & Board for a place like Clarkson). All I knew about Clarkson (For give me tech fans) was when Cornell (I was a big fan of the Big Red Hockey) would play them in hockey and on Sunday there would be a replay of the games on TV in Binghamton. Any way one of my buddies at Broome had a girl friend who was going to SUNY Potsdam and he invited me to go up with him to visit Clarkson as he was going there for his Jr and Sr year of school (but really to be with his girl friend). We went up, me by bus and he hitch hiked (got a ticket for doing it). Stayed with some of his friends at a Frat house and I was hooked on the school (really on the drinking) . Hockey season had ended unfortunately before we went up. Managed to get half of my tuition paid on a scholarship and the rest is history. My buddy and I were roommates our Jr year and then he became an RA his senior year. I stayed for a year extra to get my Masters (really to be with my girlfriend at the time and now my wife of 42 years). Left there in summer of 75.

My Junior year Jerry York had just taken over for Len Ceglarski. The first 2 Clarkson hockey games my Jr year were against the U of Quebec, 13-0 and 12-0 wins . Had a 11-5 record, went out to Wisconsin and lost 2 games and our 2nd leading scorer to injury and limped in with a 5-7 record. Made the playoffs and pulled a huge upset in the ECAC QF 7-4 over Hahvad. Went to Boston the next week and got absolutely smashed by Cornell 9-4 in the ECAC semi's. My senior year as Joe said was the only time Clarkson ever missed the ECAC Playoffs. My senior year and grad year were both losing records for the men and after that they would not have a losing record for another 28 seasons. Those were the days to watch games if you liked goal scoring. 10 goals or more combined were the norm, not the 1-0,3-2, 4-3 games we have today.

Walker Arena what a place to watch a game as Joe said. You had to stand in line for an hour or so outside the arena in the bitter cold and snow if you wanted your choice of seating. And then when you got in the place you froze your arse off until the arena filled up and the over head heaters (the few there were along the sides) came on. I remember one game I was sitting behind the Clarkson bench. From your shoulders up you were above the glass behind the bench. One of the players was ****ed off at something that happened on the ice and he came in and slammed the shaft of his stick against the glass where I was standing and I caught the butt end of his stick just below my eye. Had a shiner there for a few days.

There were more less than stellar games my times there. My favorites were any time we beat SLU, RPI or Cornell (I was no longer a Cornell fan). My grad year the last game against Vermont, Clarkson needed to win it to make the playoffs. I still remember Dave Taylor scoring the ENG to clinch the game and get us in the playoffs. Everyone went crazy. Unfortunately they were drilled by Hahvad 10-5 in the ECAC QF Game the next weekend.

I remember the Hahvad game where our guy took a slap shot from the point, the puck zipped in hit the mid point of the net down low (The nets were shaped a bit different then than now) and came out immediately, the red light came on and the referee called no goal, said the puck did not go in that it hit the post. Of coarse there was not video replay those days. The crowd went nuts and started throwing empty glass pint bottles of whiskey (kept you warm) on the ice.

After graduation I would follow the mens team as best as I could from Maryland. I would go up to Penn and Princeton when they played there. Still do the Princeton trip but now my wife and I do 2 trips, one for the men and one for the women. I also every few years have tried to make a road trip to see the men or women. You mentioned that Clarkson men played at Ohio State one year. My wife and I were there for that series. Played at I think the Schottenstein Center. Way too big for the crowd that was there. Mike Walsh was the goalie for Clarkson. I remember one of the Buckeye skaters brushed by Walsh and he went down like the kid shot him. The Buckeye skater was called for the penalty. After the game talking to Mike when asked about the play he just winked his eye. I have also made it to the Kohl Center at Wisco for the men.

I do make it up to Potsdam every few years to see a game and try to make it when both the men and women are home. This year saw Penn State/Michigan men and Bemidji women. Did a road trip to Penn State to see the women as well as my Princeton trips. Unfortunately illness issues with my wife and I have kept us from attending a women's frozen 4. One of my big regrets. So we will now have to make a trip up to Potsdam to see the latest hardware.

About 5 years into the women's program, one of my buddies and I were talking about the men's and women's programs. Just like Joe, he was worried that the women's Program would be draining funds from the men and impact the men's program. He and I both longed (and still do) for the men to win a National Championship and I said to him, " you know, I will bet you if Clarkson ever does win a championship in hockey, it will be the women before the men." So 10 years later the women have proven my statement to be prophetic 3 times now. I still hold out that one of these years the stars will all align and the men will finally win one. In the mean time, my wife is a hockey widow on weekends in the winter as I watch or listen to most of the Clarkson mens and womens games and spend my time on USCHO . I actually like the womens game more. Too much physicality in the mens game.
    Last edited by vicb; 03-20-2018 at 01:55 PM.
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Sounds like the pre-renovations OSU Ice Rink. We used tell people that our ice surface was the same size as Chicago Stadium or Boston Garden. IIRC, the Ice Rink was only 1.5 feet narrow, meaning 83.5 feet wide. But it was definitely short. My memory isn't clear but I think it was 187 feet long. So you had us beat, but only by a smidge.

Great stuff. Years ago, our Men's Team swept a Lake Superior State team that went on to win a National Title. This year, our Women's team swept Wisconsin at home. Obviously those Badgers didn't win the Title, but they were rated either #1 or #2 at the time. Those kind of memories will always be cherished.

Awesome story. Very glad you got that opportunity. A different kind of miracle on ice!

Again, same experience. I don't think our Women's Program has hurt Men's Hockey one bit. It has brought some new people into the mix. Some of the rest of us watch more hockey. I'll admit, with two hockey teams to follow, I rarely watch hoops anymore. But I'm thinking that OSU Basketball will survive just fine without me.

Quote Originally Posted by miker View Post
    This could be fun...87-91...Walker Arena - best seat in the house was on the railing, holding the support beams (goal line section)! Place got loud, and always full. Best memories....The bell, Sergi's Pizza...
    OK, tell me all about Sergi's Pizza. I missed out on that because the rest of the family insisted on the Gluten-Free Bakery, by the Bookstore.

And while you're at it, share the tradition of "The Bell."

... HUGOOOOO BELANGER!!
    ... Obviously another story that needs telling.

and the NCAA series against Wisconsin @Walker. LSSU series was great too...listening on the radio. :-D
    Was Frank Anzalone coaching Lake State at the time? Wherever Frank was coaching, the great stories just seemed to follow naturally. I'll never forget the third period when Anzalone switched goalies at least a half dozen times, apparently for the short delay each substitution caused. Once the pattern was established, the Buckeye crowd starting chanting "Switch! Switch! Switch!" after every whistle. Several more times Coach Anzalone delighted the crowd by accommodating the request.

... Heckling the SLU goalie..Les Kuntar! Worst memory...the semi-final against BU - flat and just a terrible game.
    More stories, please.

Thread Information