Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64

Thread: Shannon Miller

  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,876

    Re: Shannon Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    I don't know about the "Kennedy could get a head coaching job if she wanted one" comment. Wouldn't you have said that about Allison Coomey and Katie Lachapelle at BU for many years, yet there they were together behind Durocher for 9 years.... I don't believe for a second that they didn't try to get a head coach job in that time and yet they weren't able to. They have coaching credentials at least as good as Kennedy. It finally took Holy Cross going D1 to get Lachapelle in line and Coomey moved to Penn State as an assistant (not even an associate head coach). I think you assume too much to think that Kennedy is a shoo-in if she wanted to be. Wouldn't Providence be the right opportunity for her (New England, similar to BC, etc.)? For that matter - wouldn't Lachapelle be a good fit for Providence - she's an alum?
    See, there is a good reason why I was reluctant to mention names originally, I knew I would forget deserving women. I am sure there are others but those are very deserving candidates.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    191

    Re: Shannon Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    And I like to tease and have fun too.
    There's such a fine line between teasing and being a complete *******.

  3. #43
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,946

    Re: Shannon Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Proving discrimination in hiring (as opposed to firing) is almost impossible, even when it happens. That's not true just for gender discrimination, but everything else. Age discrimination, for those who end up unemployed in their mid-40s or older (which I know from personal experience; it's how someone with a masters degree in accounting ends up as a security guard), is endemic, but you can't assemble the evidence to prove it.
    I don't know, if she applies anywhere in women's hockey for any job, she's automatically the #1 qualified person. If she applies at 5 schools and is not hired, she could probably make a discrimination case. The people in the know know she is psycho, but the jurors will again have no knowledge of that and fatten her bank accounts further.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I don't know, if she applies anywhere in women's hockey for any job, she's automatically the #1 qualified person. If she applies at 5 schools and is not hired, she could probably make a discrimination case. The people in the know know she is psycho, but the jurors will again have no knowledge of that and fatten her bank accounts further.
    But whoever hires her would have a coach who would definitely make a splash and draw attention to their program wearing that black shiny sequined jacket! Admit it, we all want to see that jacket again!

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    There's such a fine line between teasing and being a complete *******.
    Yawn! And I'm on the teasing side of that line while you're completely on the *sshole side of it. Nice try. So easy to with.

  6. #46
    Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Chazy, NY
    Posts
    4,086

    Re: Shannon Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I don't know, if she applies anywhere in women's hockey for any job, she's automatically the #1 qualified person. If she applies at 5 schools and is not hired, she could probably make a discrimination case. The people in the know know she is psycho, but the jurors will again have no knowledge of that and fatten her bank accounts further.
    Which basically amounts to extortion. Hire me or I'll (have grounds to) sue. I'd reject that candidate in a heartbeat. No college wants that kind of drama. It's like NFL teams not signing Capernick. I don't think it's collusion. I think every team has decided that his level of talent (marginal) doesn't outweigh the peripheral noise he would bring. I suspect Miller is now in that same boat.
    Last edited by spwood; 05-22-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

    If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minny
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Shannon Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Yawn! And I'm on the teasing side of that line while you're completely on the *sshole side of it. Nice try. So easy to with.
    Too bad, after all these years this board needs a moderator.

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    Too bad, after all these years this board needs a moderator.
    If he would not have tried to insult me in the first place I would have no need to respond. He just isn't smart enough to have figured that out all by his little old self. Lol.

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    191

    Re: Shannon Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I don't know, if she applies anywhere in women's hockey for any job, she's automatically the #1 qualified person. If she applies at 5 schools and is not hired, she could probably make a discrimination case. The people in the know know she is psycho, but the jurors will again have no knowledge of that and fatten her bank accounts further.
    That's not how discrimination law works. You actually have to prove intent to discriminate due to membership in a protected class. So long as a prospective employer never says that they are not hiring you because you're a woman, or a person of color, or over 50, that's pretty much impossible. There's nothing in American labor law that says that you have to hire the most qualified individual, and your hypothetical case would never even make it to a jury.

  10. #50
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,946

    Re: Shannon Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    That's not how discrimination law works. You actually have to prove intent to discriminate due to membership in a protected class. So long as a prospective employer never says that they are not hiring you because you're a woman, or a person of color, or over 50, that's pretty much impossible. There's nothing in American labor law that says that you have to hire the most qualified individual, and your hypothetical case would never even make it to a jury.
    So if there were 5 D1 openings and every one hired a first time male heterosexual coach as the HC, and Miller applied at all 5 and did not get hired, she'd have no case?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  11. #51
    Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Chazy, NY
    Posts
    4,086

    Re: Shannon Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    So if there were 5 D1 openings and every one hired a first time male heterosexual coach as the HC, and Miller applied at all 5 and did not get hired, she'd have no case?
    Oh, she has a case. She's a member of a protected class, as evidenced by her win against UMD in court...
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

    If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    191

    Re: Shannon Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    So if there were 5 D1 openings and every one hired a first time male heterosexual coach as the HC, and Miller applied at all 5 and did not get hired, she'd have no case?
    If that's all the evidence that there is, then, no, she has no case. "Women" is a protected class; "Shannon Miller" is not. As has been pointed out on this thread, there are a lot of reasons why one would not hire the that do not amount to discrimination against the former. That's pretty much true of any individual. So long as the employer that doesn't hire someone can construct a plausible reason, even post hoc, why that particular person wasn't hired, then the mere fact that they weren't hired does not provide grounds for a successful discrimination suit. Doing that requires evidence that the employer actually used status within the protected class as an element of the real reason for the decision.

    If a specific employer demonstrates a pattern of never hiring a member of a protected class, or at least never hiring them for senior positions, then they may be open to a class action suit, but that's different than one individual suing for discrimination.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    191

    Re: Shannon Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by spwood View Post
    Oh, she has a case. She's a member of a protected class, as evidenced by her win against UMD in court...
    Again, a discrimination case based upon a job that one already has/had is an entirely different beast than one based upon not being hired. There is a much greater body of evidence from which to draw from to provide examples of actually discriminating behavior. With hiring, such animus is generally conducted behind closed doors, without the applicant ever being witness to it, and thus can't be proven in court.

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,876

    Re: Shannon Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I don't know, if she applies anywhere in women's hockey for any job, she's automatically the #1 qualified person. If she applies at 5 schools and is not hired, she could probably make a discrimination case. The people in the know know she is psycho, but the jurors will again have no knowledge of that and fatten her bank accounts further.
    Actually her record over the last few years would argue that she is not the best qualified. Eeyore has it right. If you need proof look how long NFL & MLB strung along just interviewing one or two black candidates before they finally made one a manager.

  15. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    191

    Re: Shannon Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Yawn! And I'm on the teasing side of that line while you're completely on the *sshole side of it. Nice try. So easy to with.
    Unfortunately, Gresham's Law applies to internet comment boards.

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    ....from which to draw from....
    Lol, what a moron! It's one or the other, not both. Make a choice. It's either "from which to sraw" or it's "to draw from." You don't use "from" twice you dolt. Stop trying to show off and just Keep It Simple Stupid.

    You definitely fit your namesake's characteristics; a pessimistic, gloomy, depressed, anhedonic, old grey stuffed donkey/*ss. You sure didn't choose a flattering moniker!
    Last edited by shelfit; 05-23-2018 at 08:12 AM.

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,193

    Re: Shannon Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Lol, what a moron! It's one or the other, not both. Make a choice. It's either "from which to sraw" or it's "to draw from." You don't use "from" twice you dolt. Stop trying to show off and just Keep It Simple Stupid.

    You definitely fit your namesake's characteristics; a pessimistic, gloomy, depressed, anhedonic, old grey stuffed donkey/*ss. You sure didn't choose a flattering moniker!
    You could choose to go the high road for once...Because that signal to noise ratio comment is looking pretty accurate about right now. Just sayin.

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    196

    Re: Shannon Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    But really, there are not many legitimate excuses for not having many more woman head coaches in DI.

    Some of you may not be familiar with the favorite drinking song of many ADs:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doz5w2W-jAY

  19. #59

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,439

    Re: Shannon Miller

    @TheCWHL: .@InfernoCWHL🔥 welcome Shannon Miller as the team's new head coach for the upcoming 2018-19 season! Read more ➡️ http://www.thecwhl.com/shannon-mille...rno-head-coach #WeAreTheGame https://twitter.com/TheCWHL/status/1...249408/photo/1

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    @TheCWHL: .@InfernoCWHL🔥 welcome Shannon Miller as the team's new head coach for the upcoming 2018-19 season! Read more ➡️ http://www.thecwhl.com/shannon-mille...rno-head-coach #WeAreTheGame https://twitter.com/TheCWHL/status/1...249408/photo/1
    And she'll be augmenting her income by working on the side as a tour guide for the Calgary Stampede.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •