Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shannon Miller

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I don't know, if she applies anywhere in women's hockey for any job, she's automatically the #1 qualified person. If she applies at 5 schools and is not hired, she could probably make a discrimination case. The people in the know know she is psycho, but the jurors will again have no knowledge of that and fatten her bank accounts further.
    Which basically amounts to extortion. Hire me or I'll (have grounds to) sue. I'd reject that candidate in a heartbeat. No college wants that kind of drama. It's like NFL teams not signing Capernick. I don't think it's collusion. I think every team has decided that his level of talent (marginal) doesn't outweigh the peripheral noise he would bring. I suspect Miller is now in that same boat.
    Last edited by spwood; 05-22-2018, 11:14 AM.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      Yawn! And I'm on the teasing side of that line while you're completely on the *sshole side of it. Nice try. So easy to with.
      Too bad, after all these years this board needs a moderator.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
        Too bad, after all these years this board needs a moderator.
        If he would not have tried to insult me in the first place I would have no need to respond. He just isn't smart enough to have figured that out all by his little old self. Lol.

Comment

I don't know, if she applies anywhere in women's hockey for any job, she's automatically the #1 qualified person. If she applies at 5 schools and is not hired, she could probably make a discrimination case. The people in the know know she is psycho, but the jurors will again have no knowledge of that and fatten her bank accounts further.
          That's not how discrimination law works. You actually have to prove intent to discriminate due to membership in a protected class. So long as a prospective employer never says that they are not hiring you because you're a woman, or a person of color, or over 50, that's pretty much impossible. There's nothing in American labor law that says that you have to hire the most qualified individual, and your hypothetical case would never even make it to a jury.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
            That's not how discrimination law works. You actually have to prove intent to discriminate due to membership in a protected class. So long as a prospective employer never says that they are not hiring you because you're a woman, or a person of color, or over 50, that's pretty much impossible. There's nothing in American labor law that says that you have to hire the most qualified individual, and your hypothetical case would never even make it to a jury.
            So if there were 5 D1 openings and every one hired a first time male heterosexual coach as the HC, and Miller applied at all 5 and did not get hired, she'd have no case?
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

So if there were 5 D1 openings and every one hired a first time male heterosexual coach as the HC, and Miller applied at all 5 and did not get hired, she'd have no case?
              Oh, she has a case. She's a member of a protected class, as evidenced by her win against UMD in court...
              Steve
              Penn State Class of '95
              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

If that's all the evidence that there is, then, no, she has no case. "Women" is a protected class; "Shannon Miller" is not. As has been pointed out on this thread, there are a lot of reasons why one would not hire the that do not amount to discrimination against the former. That's pretty much true of any individual. So long as the employer that doesn't hire someone can construct a plausible reason, even post hoc, why that particular person wasn't hired, then the mere fact that they weren't hired does not provide grounds for a successful discrimination suit. Doing that requires evidence that the employer actually used status within the protected class as an element of the real reason for the decision.

If a specific employer demonstrates a pattern of never hiring a member of a protected class, or at least never hiring them for senior positions, then they may be open to a class action suit, but that's different than one individual suing for discrimination.

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                  Oh, she has a case. She's a member of a protected class, as evidenced by her win against UMD in court...
                  Again, a discrimination case based upon a job that one already has/had is an entirely different beast than one based upon not being hired. There is a much greater body of evidence from which to draw from to provide examples of actually discriminating behavior. With hiring, such animus is generally conducted behind closed doors, without the applicant ever being witness to it, and thus can't be proven in court.

Comment

Actually her record over the last few years would argue that she is not the best qualified. Eeyore has it right. If you need proof look how long NFL & MLB strung along just interviewing one or two black candidates before they finally made one a manager.

Comment

Yawn! And I'm on the teasing side of that line while you're completely on the *sshole side of it. Nice try. So easy to with.
                      Unfortunately, Gresham's Law applies to internet comment boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                        ....from which to draw from....
                        Lol, what a moron! It's one or the other, not both. Make a choice. It's either "from which to sraw" or it's "to draw from." You don't use "from" twice you dolt. Stop trying to show off and just Keep It Simple Stupid.

You definitely fit your namesake's characteristics; a pessimistic, gloomy, depressed, anhedonic, old grey stuffed donkey/*ss. You sure didn't choose a flattering moniker!
                        Last edited by shelfit; 05-23-2018, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Lol, what a moron! It's one or the other, not both. Make a choice. It's either "from which to sraw" or it's "to draw from." You don't use "from" twice you dolt. Stop trying to show off and just Keep It Simple Stupid.

You definitely fit your namesake's characteristics; a pessimistic, gloomy, depressed, anhedonic, old grey stuffed donkey/*ss. You sure didn't choose a flattering moniker!
                          You could choose to go the high road for once...Because that signal to noise ratio comment is looking pretty accurate about right now. Just sayin.
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                            But really, there are not many legitimate excuses for not having many more woman head coaches in DI.

Some of you may not be familiar with the favorite drinking song of many ADs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doz5w2W-jAY

Comment

@TheCWHL: .@InfernoCWHL🔥 welcome Shannon Miller as the team's new head coach for the upcoming 2018-19 season! Read more ➡️ http://www.thecwhl.com/shannon-mille...rno-head-coach #WeAreTheGame https://***********/TheCWHL/status/1...249408/photo/1
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                @TheCWHL: .@InfernoCWHL🔥 welcome Shannon Miller as the team's new head coach for the upcoming 2018-19 season! Read more ➡️ http://www.thecwhl.com/shannon-mille...rno-head-coach #WeAreTheGame https://***********/TheCWHL/status/1...249408/photo/1
                                And she'll be augmenting her income by working on the side as a tour guide for the Calgary Stampede.

Comment

Working...
                                X