Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shannon Miller

Shannon Miller

Jury has sided with Miller in her discrimination lawsuit. $ 3,744,832 for now and more for future lost wages. Wow

Re: Shannon Miller

That's terrible. I feel like that could knock me out of the women's hockey ballgame

I got the juice

Wish I would have never read that article. I threw up when I saw the amount. And all of us little guys are afraid to take part in class action suits over owed wages in fear of being blackballed from our industries. She complained that she couldn’t find work—after suing her previous employer after not having her contract extended that is... the amount of $ people get for emotional distress is outrageous. University owed her nothing it’s a cut throat job she should know and accept that as a coach. Just like there have been many girls who gave poured their hearts out playing for her only to be cut for not producing results. This should have been settled I can’t say she didn’t have some valid complaints but millions is outrageous. The mens program pays for the womens existence yet she complains about unequal treatment, argh

Does the state of Minnesota or UMD specifically 'punish' the women's hockey program over the amount (assuming it stands on appeal, etc)? Could this actually put the program in jeopary, ala U of North Dakota? That would be the worst outcome of all here.

I got the juice
    Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    Does the state of Minnesota or UMD specifically 'punish' the women's hockey program over the amount (assuming it stands on appeal, etc)? Could this actually put the program in jeopary, ala U of North Dakota? That would be the worst outcome of all here.
    That couldn’t be how the UND womens program folded without cuts to mens in addition. Thought title IX was a federal ruling. But the state of ND and MN are completely different

So how much did the liars Berlo and Black save UMD?

$3.74M /$215K (I think is how much she was earning) = 17.39 years of salary.

These two are complete pinheads in addition to being lying lowlifes... a disgrace and an embarrassment to UMD. An institution of higher learning. Yeah...well represented.
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 03-15-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UMD21 View Post
    The mens program pays for the womens existence yet she complains about unequal treatment, argh
    There isn't a college men's hockey program anywhere at any level that pays for the women's hockey program. People that keep thinking and posting this stupid notion just don't have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie44 View Post
    Jury has sided with Miller in her discrimination lawsuit. $ 3,744,832 for now and more for future lost wages. Wow
    A) This award will be appealed and probably be reduced
    B) Totally worth it. That is about 2 years cost for running the program. Yeah a lot of money but not having her toxic presence around the team is worth it.

The article didn't say anything about the other two...Banford and the bassetball coach whose name I can't recall?

Were they awarded anything or are their cases yet to be heard?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    So how much did the liars Berlo and Lendley save UMD?

$3.74M /$215K (I think is how much she was earning) = 17.39 years of salary.

These two are complete pinheads in addition to being lying lowlifes... a disgrace and an embarrassment to UMD. A institution of higher learning. Yeah...well represented.
    I haven't done much of any reading about the case, but it didn't take much reading to agree with this. Berlo especially comes off as a real doofus.

Apparently, too, Miller had legitimate Title IX complaints at UMD that went nowhere. Discard all the personal dislike you might have for her and you're still left with Title IX complaints (and I don't know what those were), and the jury found that the complaints had merit.

The mens program pays for the womens existence yet she complains about unequal treatment, argh
    I will repeat that the NCAA and its member schools can not use this argument in court, even if it were true. They have claimed, under oath, many times, that revenue generation is not a consideration in how they run their athletic programs. This claim has been essential to winning cases that keep scholarship athletes from being considered employees of the university. They long ago determined that not being legally responsible for the health related damages for those injured in NCAA competition (see: Marc Buoniconti) and not needing to share any of the proceeds from licensing of the athletes' names is more important to them.

Thus, they have no defense when accused of unequal treatment. That's not Shannon Miller's fault.

That couldn’t be how the UND womens program folded without cuts to mens in addition. Thought title IX was a federal ruling. But the state of ND and MN are completely different
    My guess is that you know next to nothing about Title IX enforcement.

Making America Troll Again

Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    My guess is that you know next to nothing about Title IX enforcement.
    as if you do

"She said she’ll continue to apply for open college hockey jobs and would be honored to have a chance to become the first female coach in the National Hockey League."

maybe she can use the money to pay a shrink to deal with her lost sense of reality
    #TellingTheTruth …or the one NOT reading from a script NOR attempting to hide behind ridiculously large glasses NOR brushing hair forward to cover the face

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie44 View Post
    In this environment of guilty before proved innocent, even if the UMD leadership did everything right, I doubt they would have won a jury trial.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    as if you do

"She said she’ll continue to apply for open college hockey jobs and would be honored to have a chance to become the first female coach in the National Hockey League."

maybe she can use the money to pay a shrink to deal with her lost sense of reality
    She should open her own legal consulting firm! I wonder if she ranks this victory right up there with her national championships. With being awarded that amount of money she's got to be considered the "winningest" college coach in history!
    Last edited by shelfit; 03-16-2018 at 07:26 AM.

Making America Troll Again

[QUOTE=Blackbeard;6625073]The article didn't say anything about the other two...Banford and the bassetball coach whose name I can't recall?

QUOTE]

Banford & Miller are .... most here don't want their weekend ruined by hearing it and my mouthwash isn't strong enough to clean my mouth out after saying it

U of MN, what can you say? the leadership of this institution ... they decided they were smart enough to handle their own legal affairs, they are the elite are they not?
    who else could possibly be more talented and smart?
    what a bunch of pompous a-h's
    #TellingTheTruth …or the one NOT reading from a script NOR attempting to hide behind ridiculously large glasses NOR brushing hair forward to cover the face

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    The article didn't say anything about the other two...Banford and the bassetball coach whose name I can't recall?

Were they awarded anything or are their cases yet to be heard?
    Feb 3-
    BANFORD, WILES CASES DISMISSED
    https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/0...ports-coaches/

The decision marked the end of the road for Banford and Wiles in federal court.Both submitted their resignations within six months of Miller’s non-renewal, echoing Miller’s comments about a hostile work environment and an unequal playing field for women’s sports at UMD.

Banford was informed at the time of Miller’s non-renewal that her role as hockey operations director would come to an end. University officials said that was a standard move with a change in head coaches, but that they always intended to retain Banford as softball coach.

Schiltz said he saw no evidence to the contrary, writing that Banford offered “scant” argument that she was forced from her softball position.

The judge also was skeptical of Banford’s claim that she was treated unfairly due to her gender.

City Pages-
    fairly in depth piece on Miller's case

http://www.citypages.com/news/shanno...oach/476952703

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    City Pages-
    fairly in depth piece on Miller's case

http://www.citypages.com/news/shanno...oach/476952703
    And there it is...The sequined jacket shows up in the picture, in the article.

Extensive look at the discrimination and gender equity issues facing women's college coaches. Much of the article is about Shannon Miller's case. And you'll be surprised to learn what she's doing today.

http://www.startribune.com/women-in-...ers/482942381/
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Thread Information