Holy Cross image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tape View Post
    Why are you posting about it if you don't care?
    Because I can?

I don't care if they change their logo, just think the reasoning behind it is stupid. So, I care about stupidity 😁
    Last edited by blazer777; 03-19-2018, 06:41 PM.
    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Re: Holy Cross image

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      The same Governor Dummer of prep school fame??
      Nope. That's William Dummer.

Comment

The image most of us UND fans have of Holy Cross is that of a saint, possibly a major prophet, so a knight is not likely to offend.

Comment

I personally found the image to be triggering, and I think the NCAA should press the school to change its name due to it glorifying violence against Muslims.
          1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
            Yale is screwed, " The records of this period mention a flourishing slave trade in Madras, a trade in which Yale participated and from which he profited. He enforced a law that at least ten slaves should be carried on every ship bound for Europe."

But this part I never knew about Yale and is hilarious, On 5 April 1999, Yale University recognized the 350th anniversary of Yale's birthday.[1] An article that year in American Heritage magazine rated Elihu Yale the "most overrated philanthropist" in American history, arguing that the college that became Yale University was successful largely because of the generosity of a man named Jeremiah Dummer, but that the trustees of the school did not want it known by the name "Dummer College"
            So if Yale is truly Dummer...
            does that make Harvard Dumbest?

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
              I personally found the image to be triggering, and I think the NCAA should press the school to change its name due to it glorifying violence against Muslims.
              Not one muslim this month has come up to mookie and expressed concern over the HC mascot....
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                Yale is screwed, " The records of this period mention a flourishing slave trade in Madras, a trade in which Yale participated and from which he profited. He enforced a law that at least ten slaves should be carried on every ship bound for Europe."

But this part I never knew about Yale and is hilarious, On 5 April 1999, Yale University recognized the 350th anniversary of Yale's birthday.[1] An article that year in American Heritage magazine rated Elihu Yale the "most overrated philanthropist" in American history, arguing that the college that became Yale University was successful largely because of the generosity of a man named Jeremiah Dummer, but that the trustees of the school did not want it known by the name "Dummer College"
                I once took a public tour of Yale, and this is the same story they told us.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  That's a great idea!! I'll petition my uber blue county council to do just that!!!
                  Suggest the term "Peophole covers."
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

A knight does not = crusader. Not all knights were crusaders and not all crusaders were knights. When I think of the word knight, the second thing that comes to mind is a powerful and skillful warrior from the middle ages. How many people really even know what the crusades were? In the grand scheme of history, they are but a footnote to the vast majority of people. FYI The first thing that comes to mind for me is Hillary.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      A knight does not = crusader. Not all knights were crusaders and not all crusaders were knights. When I think of the word knight, the second thing that comes to mind is a powerful and skillful warrior from the middle ages. How many people really even know what the crusades were? In the grand scheme of history, they are but a footnote to the vast majority of people. FYI The first thing that comes to mind for me is Hillary.
                      It only matters to the offended... you know that

Comment

When I think of knights I picture migrating coconuts.

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Not one muslim this month has come up to mookie and expressed concern over the HC mascot....
                        Muslims usually express their concerns to you?

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                          When I think of knights I picture migrating coconuts.

Muslims usually express their concerns to you?
                          We talk daily, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                            WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) -- The College of the Holy Cross says it will stop using the image of a knight as a logo and mascot even though trustees last month decided to keep the nickname Crusaders for its athletic teams.
                            The president of the Worcester (WUS'-tur), Massachusetts, Jesuit college, the Rev. Philip Boroughs, wrote in a letter to students, alumni and staff Wednesday the depiction of a knight with the moniker Crusader is an inevitable reminder of the religious wars and violence that marked the Crusades.
                            Boroughs says such imagery "stands in contrast" to the college's stated values" but notes the word "crusader," in its modern sense, means someone who stands for positive principles.
                            In place of a knight, Holy Cross will use an interlocking HC on a purple shield as its primary logo.
                            Beyond absurd and pathetic.
                            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              It only matters to the offended... you know that
                              We're all offended by something, you just have to not get all bent out of shape over it. Control what you can control.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                A knight does not = crusader. Not all knights were crusaders and not all crusaders were knights.
                                Sure, but pair the name "Crusader" with an image of a knight and it kind of does evoke the image of the Crusades.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X