Holy Cross image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Holy Cross image

This one is all weird for me. I am not a fan of the PC crazy crowd. However I have never really understood why schools go with the name Crusaders given the history. I also think the HC logo is a lot better than the night. So I think it be a good change, but still the reasoning is a bit silly...
    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
    The Mule
    Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Maybe this?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        maybe this?
        racists!!!!!!

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

As a Norwegian-American, why don't I have the right to be offended by the blood-lust depictions of Viking mascots, and to have them banned?

Some will call me a liar, but at the agency for which I work (a generally liberal social service agency), we have tried using various methods of naming predetermined groups of employees at all-agency functions. Whether we do it by color, number, animal, plant, or letter people get honestly offended. "I don't want to be red - it's an angry color." "I don't want to be blue - it's a sad color." "I don't want to be a tiger - they are carnivores." "I don't want to be a butterfly - they're weak." "I don't want to be a 2 - I want to be a 1." "I don't want to be a 1 - does everything have to be competitive?" .... Seriously. It is impossible to name the groups as a reference without offending.
          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

maybe they should stop worrying about the knight so much .. & worry more about this stuff.. aye yaye ye..

http://www.bostonherald.com/opinion/...catholic_faith
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
              As a Norwegian-American, why don't I have the right to be offended by the blood-lust depictions of Viking mascots, and to have them banned?
              If you can tie it to oppression of people with Norwegian ancestry, you probably could.

But keep in mind this is a voluntary decision by the College of the Holy Cross. No one told them they had to do it.

Powers &8^]

Comment

As an unapologetic practicing Catholic, I have sadly noted for some years that one of the biggest threats to Catholicism is ---- U.S. Catholic colleges.
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I don't like the Fighting Irish logo. Once I finish my beer, I'll "dance" with anyone who disagrees with me.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Not sure why this thread exists on a college hockey forum. Nevertheless, there are both positive and negative sides to the story line of the Crusades. When Byzantium asked the Western Church for aid, the pope saw a chance to regain leverage with the Orthodox church. However, that effort failed.

But when the Crusaders arrived in Constantinople, they discovered libraries full of books unknown or lost to the West, such as Aristotle's works. Those books were translated into Latin and helped fuel an intellectual revival in the West.

On the negative side, the Crusaders later sacked Constantinople and massacred thousands of Muslims and Jews while trying to reclaim the Holy Land from Islam.

So it's hardly surprising that plenty of people don't exactly get warm, fuzzy feelings when the C-word is mentioned. Those who are antagonistic to the message of Christianity in general today frequently use the Crusades to argue against organized religion.

Billy Graham's alma mater Wheaton College also changed their mascot a few years ago from Crusaders to Thunder. The Holy Cross decision is based upon seeking to create a more positive public perception of Christianity. That's a common practice in many domains of life and work. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                      Sure, but pair the name "Crusader" with an image of a knight and it kind of does evoke the image of the Crusades.

Powers &8^]
                      Correct, but the British also had the Crusader tank in WWII and the US had the Crusader aircraft in the arsenal from the late 50's to mid 70's. They could just change the image from the guy on the horse to the aircraft.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        Correct, but the British also had the Crusader tank in WWII and the US had the Crusader aircraft in the arsenal from the late 50's to mid 70's. They could just change the image from the guy on the horse to the aircraft.
                        That's basically what Holy Cross is doing, as the new logo is going to be the former secondary athletic logo, a shield with HC on it. Of course, some may connect the shield to the knight that is no longer visible and therefore to the Crusades and still be offended. Maybe changing the logo to a tank or plane would be better, although it might offend those who are opposed to war.

Sean
                        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                        BU Hockey highlights and extras
                        NCAA Hockey Financials
                        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                          That's basically what Holy Cross is doing, as the new logo is going to be the former secondary athletic logo, a shield with HC on it. Of course, some may connect the shield to the knight that is no longer visible and therefore to the Crusades and still be offended. Maybe changing the logo to a tank or plane would be better, although it might offend those who are opposed to war.

Sean
                          I'd hate to offend Germans, Italians or North Vietnamese. Hey wait! I'm German! I find the Crusader Tank offensive. Of course their crews found them offensive themselves as they were not a very good tank.

So will they have a across anywhere on their logo? They need to own what they are all about and not hide from it. A lot of people find Christians offensive.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                          X