Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 831

Thread: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

  1. #161
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    34,877

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    I was hoping Ohio State and Sean Romeo would defeat Denver. Sean would never have made it to the Frozen Four under a Gendron team. He had no place to go until he and Rohlik connected.
    He must have walked on, I assume that's true in orono also

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  2. #162
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,028

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    He must have walked on, I assume that's true in orono also

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    He was recruited by Tim. Romeo was on the team with McGovern and Morris as a Sophomore as I recall. He only played in two games. I'm just guessing, but I suspect Gendron wanted his own team and never really gave him much of an opportunity.

  3. #163
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,028

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    When Romeo left, Gendron tried to bring in Mundinger and Johnson. Johnson never showed up as he had eligibility issues.

  4. #164
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Interesting how well Sean Romeo played this weekend. Never would have guessed he would anchor a frozen 4 team based on his time in Orono. I guess the staff didn't either.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    He wasn't given a chance....his last year, they gave him just mop up minutes...never gave him a chance to start a game....glad he is doing well...as he has had a awesome season to this point and could only put the icing on the Cake with a Frozen 4 Championship...good luck to him.

  5. #165
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Gendron has been with the team since 1990. Until 2013, he was an assistant coach under former head coaches Shawn Walsh and Tim Whitehead. Gendron has a record of 49-71-17 in his five seasons as a head coach.
    Red was here a lot longer than I thought.

    https://mainecampus.com/2018/03/mens...eason-wrap-up/

  6. #166
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,782

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Interesting how well Sean Romeo played this weekend. Never would have guessed he would anchor a frozen 4 team based on his time in Orono. I guess the staff didn't either.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    To be honest, I saw one game he started when he was with Maine, and I thought that he was fairly awful.

    He's been outstanding at OSU, though. Makes me wonder yet again if Red has any idea whatsoever as to how to handle his personnel.

    I doubt I'll survive the 3 years of almost-certain futility ahead of us, but that probably will work for most of you.

  7. #167
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,143
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    Red was here a lot longer than I thought.

    https://mainecampus.com/2018/03/mens...eason-wrap-up/
    "Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong."

  8. #168
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    "Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong."
    "You had me at hello"

  9. #169
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Lol. Everyone that knows me that's ****ing funny!

  10. #170
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    To be honest, I saw one game he started when he was with Maine, and I thought that he was fairly awful.

    He's been outstanding at OSU, though. Makes me wonder yet again if Red has any idea whatsoever as to how to handle his personnel.

    I doubt I'll survive the 3 years of almost-certain futility ahead of us, but that probably will work for most of you.
    He was a highly recruited goalie that played in Youngstown in USHL. Doesn't take much to figure this out???

  11. #171
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    He must have walked on, I assume that's true in orono also

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    No you know. you are Groot!

  12. #172
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    34,877

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    He was a highly recruited goalie that played in Youngstown in USHL. Doesn't take much to figure this out???
    Apparently it does as he got kicked to the curb. I knew Morris was highly recruited, after all Jimmy was his coach. I thought Romeo was supposed to back Morris up. I'm curious about scholarship money in Orono and why Ohio state took a chance on him. I'm pulling for OSU in frozen 4, hope Sean plays well.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  13. #173
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,028

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Apparently it does as he got kicked to the curb. I knew Morris was highly recruited, after all Jimmy was his coach. I thought Romeo was supposed to back Morris up. I'm curious about scholarship money in Orono and why Ohio state took a chance on him. I'm pulling for OSU in frozen 4, hope Sean plays well.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Sean was receiving scholarship money at Maine and also received a scholarship when he enrolled at Ohio State. I have no details about the amount. Sean said at the time of departure from Maine that Gendron would not give him playing time and he wanted to play. I am hoping Sean wins a national title and I'll be cheering for him.

  14. #174
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Apparently it does as he got kicked to the curb. I knew Morris was highly recruited, after all Jimmy was his coach. I thought Romeo was supposed to back Morris up. I'm curious about scholarship money in Orono and why Ohio state took a chance on him. I'm pulling for OSU in frozen 4, hope Sean plays well.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    In my opinion he didn't play due to coach's choice. The fact is, he was a good goalie in USHL. It is/was enough to warrant a scholarship.

    I doubt Alfie was around then???

  15. #175
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    34,877

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    In my opinion he didn't play due to coach's choice. The fact is, he was a good goalie in USHL. It is/was enough to warrant a scholarship.

    I doubt Alfie was around then???
    Alfie wasn't, Ray Jean maybe

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  16. #176
    There was no joy in Orono.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Dark Side
    Posts
    2,788
    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    "Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong."
    What the hell is going on at maine campus that they let that slip? Its not as if Reds rings from the devils and yale never come up youd think itd be pretty obvious he hasnt been in Orono for 28 straight years

  17. #177
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    What the hell is going on at maine campus that they let that slip? Its not as if Reds rings from the devils and yale never come up youd think itd be pretty obvious he hasnt been in Orono for 28 straight years
    Well, the rebuilding process is a little longer than we thought. Someday it will take off. Year 30, I am told.

  18. #178
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,782

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Thanks for the link.

    But, ya know, all this whistling-past-the-graveyard mystifies me, especially as it's been embodied in Maine's wrong-headed extension of Red.

    I do realize that people want to avoid another so-called "re-build", but the fact of the matter is that every single year of Red's tenure has looked exactly like a rebuild to me, if not -more accurately- a regression as often as not... As someone said earlier on this thread, without Sway, Maine might have won only 10 games this year.

    I really can't believe that our program could be in meaningfully worse shape right now if Maine had decided on a quality new hire. I certainly wouldn't have foreseen mass defections, because it isn't as though Maine is stocked with blue-chippers who have a roster-spots waiting for them with baited breath at a Denver or a Minnesota or even a (fill-in the blank low-echelon team).

    On the bright side, Red's extension will likely save me some serious travel-bucks.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-28-2018 at 08:01 PM.

  19. #179
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Thanks for the link.

    But, ya know, all this whistling-past-the-graveyard mystifies me, especially as it's been embodied in Maine's wrong-headed extension of Red.

    I do realize that people want to avoid another so-called "re-build", but the fact of the matter is that every single year of Red's tenure has looked exactly like a rebuild to me, if not -more accurately- a regression as often as not... As someone said earlier on this thread, without Sway, Maine might have won only 10 games this year.

    I really can't believe that our program could be in meaningfully worse shape right now if Maine had decided on a quality new hire. I certainly wouldn't have foreseen mass defections, because it isn't as though Maine is stocked with blue-chippers who have a roster-spots waiting for them with baited breath at a Denver or a Minnesota or even a (fill-in the blank low-echelon team).

    On the bright side, Red's extension will likely save me some serious travel-bucks.
    I mostly agree. However, the offense has been markedly better. So I doubt we would be at 10 wins. And truth be told, Swayman played outstanding until last ten or so games. He is a rookie like anyone else.

    My guess is without defections offense is better. Given there are two big recriuts on offense. And Swayman is as good or better. And we have a solid defensive d man coming in.

    But I wish now, with the extension, team defense gets better. Be nice to hear defense is working on getter better, specifically protecting the net front. And that centermen back check through the ice, and that wings pin puck low. And that the defense work at protecting net front and play body.

    We shall see.

    I think Maine will get better. But the big difference maker are the defensemen, in my opinion.

  20. #180
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

    Looks like baseball isn't great this year. But at least women's bball was great. And women's hockey got much better.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •